Road bike service - Ouch!

10 hours ago, love2fly said:

I'm not questioning the 7k cost but the words "Full Service"  and the thought of giving a bike shop carte blanche to replace parts makes my skin crawl....I'm the guy who decides what and when but that's just me.

I gave the bike shop a specific amount below which they may do as they deem necessary. They called and discussed everything above that amount and asked whether they may proceed. Some items probably could have been skipped till the next service, but I had some cash put away for this "big" service and knew that a lot had to be attended to.

According to Meta AI on WhatsApp ( I used a motor vehicle for this exmaple) -

Servicing and maintaining a motor vehicle are related but distinct concepts:

Servicing:

- Refers to routine checks and replacements of wear-and-tear parts, such as oil, filters, and spark plugs.
- Typically done at regular intervals (e.g., every 5,000-10,000 miles) to keep the vehicle running smoothly and prevent breakdowns.
- Focuses on replacing consumable parts and fluids to maintain the vehicle's performance and efficiency.
- Examples: oil changes, tire rotations, brake pad replacements.

Maintaining:

- Encompasses a broader range of activities aimed at prolonging the vehicle's lifespan and overall health.
- Includes repairs, overhauls, and upgrades to address worn or damaged components, as well as preventative measures to prevent future issues.
- May involve more extensive work, such as replacing major components (e.g., engines, transmissions), repairing electrical systems, or performing bodywork.
- Examples: timing belt replacements, engine overhauls, rust repair.

In summary:

- Servicing is about routine upkeep and replacements to maintain performance and prevent breakdowns.
- Maintaining is about addressing existing issues, preventing future problems, and extending the vehicle's lifespan through repairs, overhauls, and upgrades.

On 6/8/2024 at 5:30 PM, Maniax said:

Chainrings, cassette and chain (all Ultegra parts) included?  Your LBS was very kind to you. Well done.  Enjoy many smooth miles!

Take into account he's talking about 10-speed components. 

8 hours ago, Jaco Steyn said:

I gave the bike shop a specific amount below which they may do as they deem necessary. They called and discussed everything above that amount and asked whether they may proceed. Some items probably could have been skipped till the next service, but I had some cash put away for this "big" service and knew that a lot had to be attended to.

I was about to ask whether they sprung a R7K bill on you out of the blue, I'm very happy they didn't.

20 hours ago, Jbr said:

Kmc chain lasts about 2-3000km till it reached .25wear, for me that’s a couple months

My current KMC X11 on my road bike is sitting on 12 600km and not showing signs of wear. I only wipe it off and lube every 200 odd km. nothing more.

On 6/8/2024 at 3:35 PM, Jaco Steyn said:

I have a Pinarello FP Quattro That I purchased in the UK when I was there for a course. It was bought at an "end of season" sale, and it was marked down so much I just could not resist buying it...😁 That was February 2011. Full Ultegra 10 speed groupset.

I took my bike in for a full service to my favourite bike shop in Vanderbijlpark, URCycling. The last time it had a full service was in October 2021. Yes, I know I should be doing it more often, but life happens. Anyway, I went into my LBS to collect it after leaving at them for a week. Total cost was ±R7000!😬 When I paid for the service and replacement parts I thought to myself, I bought my first car after starting to work in Sasolburg more than 40 years ago and I then paid R5995 for it. Now to service a bike cost more than what a small car cost at that time.

Admittedly, a lot was done. That amount included the full service, both brake housings and inner cables was replaced, both shifter cables and housings were replaced. Both the derailleur pulley wheels were replaced, the hanger was also replaced. I did not notice it, but it had a small crack in it, possibly after the fall I had when a car sideswiped me when the driver ignored a stop sign. The BB was replaced, as well as the front big chainring. The cassette was replaced and the chain too. Most of the part replaced was original Shimano Ultegra parts, except the BB, which was replaced with a Token one. The last item that was done, was the replacing of the handlebar tape. 

I am now super stoked to go for a ride tomorrow morning to feel how it behaves after all this TLC it's received!🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️

image.jpeg.d71fa31f759ad1c2416a6478281f9aa9.jpeg

This was a lot of work done and a lot of parts replaced. When you do a proper service like this they normally strip every part of the bike and clean it.

Your bike should feel amazing after all this work so enjoy.

12 hours ago, Jaco Steyn said:

Thanks to all commenting. Some feedback to clear up some confusion.

The chain was replaced after about 12000 kms. I think I did not do too badly on it. The chain was cleaned and lubed regularly. The chain was last replaced on the previous service in 2021. The cassette lasted longer, deemed not necessary to replace with the Oct 2021 service. Similarly, the BB lasted the same 12000km and was replaced on the pervious service. The chainring and derailleur pulley wheels has never been replaced since I bought the bike in 2011. The derailleur hanger was replaced after the bike mechanic discovered it had a feint crack, possibly due to a fairly resent fall. I appreciated his attention to detail for picking it up. 

My main point for the post was just to emphasize how much cost of living escalated over the years, hence comparing the service cost to what I paid for my first car in 1983. 

I went on a short, but extremely cold ride early this morning to test the bike out, and I must say, Massimo at URCycling did a stellar job servicing my bike. It felt like new whilst cycling this morning.

12000 is far too long on a chain. I would say 5000km max otherwise you damage every other component. 

If you swap out your chain consistently, your cassette and chain rings will last much longer as well.

I recently had my road bike serviced. This my winter road bike. Aluminium Lapierre CP 500. Bought new in 2017 on end of year sale. Paid 900. 105 components throughout. 13000 winter km but I do check things from time to time. 

service was 591 pounds. Never have I spent that on car or motorcycle service. I was a bit floored. 

But. It’s thorough. Everything stripped and regreased and replaced rear derailleur , head bearings, hunt wheel bearings, cassette, chain, all cables, handle bar tape. (Lizard)

bike flies now so money well spent. Faster n my summer carbon jobbie which means it probably needs a the same treatment. 

performance degrades slowly so not noticed. 

Edited by IceCreamMan