Indoor smart trainers - advise please

Spafsack

As mentioned in an earlier post, you can use the trainer’s app to control the resistance, without having to spend money on a 3rd party app (Zwift, Rouvy, TrainerRoad, etc). It all comes down to budget. Depending on device, some training apps are free (MyWhoosh and IndieVelo).

Set the slope/gradient to an appropriate level and use the gears to change cadence. A gradient of 4-6% works well enough to simulate hill repeats, or those long climbs.

The apps are nice, but not necessary, unless racing is important.

15 hours ago, Spafsack said:

I see Sportsmans has the kickr  for R12999, i think i can get the wellness discount, would this be a good start point into smart trainers?

Which wellness program? If Discovery, read on otherwise ignore.

If Discovery, and you have their miles, then use it on the 15th of the month…

15% off the first R2000;
up to 30% off when paying with  D-Miles.

Get the best new trainer you can get for your money, probabaly the Core. I've found smart trainers to be a real game changer because of their convenience and lack of logistics. Jump on and ride whenever you want knowing that you're safe and the training is very effective. Even R400 a month for Zwift is value for money if you use it.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:13 PM, madmarc said:

I would go the new route - like the kickr Core - I seen lots of sorry tales of used units failing and no warranty - Kickr also dont seem to repair them so they simply offer you a new one = more money.

But ! its not just about having a smart trainer - there be some additional stuff you need to know an plan for

1. On the Kickr - the bike you will use on the trainer needs to have the Rear Derailleur adjusted as the cassette sits slightly inboard from the one on your riding wheel - Itsw a schlep if you use the same bike for outrides - I bought a cheap steel frame bike with 9 speed and have it permantly mounted on my IDT - 9 speed is more than enough for IDT. 

Hi

Apart from getting trainer specific bike, did you manage to resolve this. 

I also use a 9 speed and now have a spacer, but the 3 small cogs are still a proper nuisance and sound horrible.

I use the same bike on the road, so do not want to make many changes on derailleur setup.

Thx

1 hour ago, Dogs said:

Hi

Apart from getting trainer specific bike, did you manage to resolve this. 

I also use a 9 speed and now have a spacer, but the 3 small cogs are still a proper nuisance and sound horrible.

I use the same bike on the road, so do not want to make many changes on derailleur setup.

Thx

The only solution is to adjust the RD - If you look at the gap between the smallest gear and your frame with the wheel on the bike you will note the gap is much smaller than the gap when mounted in the trainer - So to compensate you need to adjust the RD slightly inboard. Using a psacer to adjust the cassette more outboard will mess up the chainline, so thats why you have a terrible noise on the bottom 3 gears 

In fact i rarley use the bottom 3 gears on my trainer and spend a lot of time on my small ring in the front - If i need to go lower on the back i change to the big ring on the front - So if i were to use my normal road bike on the trianer i would just stay off the 3 bottom gears on the back

On 6/17/2024 at 6:55 PM, Spafsack said:

Thanx Chris, will check that out.

I see Sportsmans has the kickr  for R12999, i think i can get the wellness discount, would this be a good start point into smart trainers? Its nota cheap 'entry level' but like i said, i would rather buy once and maybe i can use it as well.

It's on a special currently - R2 000 off...