Silverback 26" or Titan Racing 24 9R(26" wheels)

Hi guys.

My 8 year old needs a new bike.

We looking at the Silverback Skid 26" and the Titan 9R, which is a 24" frame with 26" wheels.

Both are really good looking bikes, and the specs are more or less the same, but we cant decide. 

From your experience, which one is the better one.

Thanks a Million 

Edited by Chantall

Hi Iwan. Fairly Tall. Turning 9 this year.

He's been on 24" tyres for just over a year now.

The Titan 249R is a XSmall 26er if the Silverback is a XSmall then they are much the same. So maybe look at the better spec bike and go with that.

Out of interest, measure the top tube and seat tube of both brands. If Silverback keeps to their normal "modus operandi" Then you will find the top tube slightly longer and the seat tube slightly shorter. This increases the reach of the rider. 

18 hours ago, Chantall said:

Hi guys.

We looking at the Silverback Skid 26" and the Titan 9R, which is a 24" frame with 26" wheels.

Both are really good looking bikes, and the specs are more or less the same, but we cant decide. 

Thanks a Million 

My kiddo has the Titan. Got it for her 8th birthday in September 2022. 

It served her very well in stock form. Very reliable and easy to ride. 

We started to have an issue with the chain slipping off the chain ring after about 16 months. LBS did some adjustments, fine for a few days, started again. New chain, same story. Chain guard, same story. I did a post on here asking for advice. Droo suggested it was because the Microshift der doesn’t have a clutch. I think he was on point.  

It did start to affect her confidence going downhill over bumps as the chain would jump off every.single.time and it was stoppage after stoppage to put it back. I didn’t love it either lol. 

It could have been a warranty thing but I found she was also running out of steam with the 1x8 setup. Furthermore I did not love the Tektro brakes and despite LBS adjustments etc they just weren’t sharp enough as her skill level and confidence was increasing. 

So, @RobertWhitehead fitted a SRAM GX 1x10 groupset, oval chainring, new press fit BB and new crankset with longer cranks. While at Robert’s place I got a little overexcited and a Rockshox Sid WC fork fell onto the bike as well. I’d already stumbled over some tubeless DT Swiss wheels with hubs here on the Hub. Oops, also tripped over some Avid Elixir brakes at Rob’s place. As you can tell I’m very clumsy. 

So the GX has *never* dropped a chain and she flies over any and all surfaces now. The bike is extremely light and agile and pretty bulletproof I’d say.  

Total cost all in for the bike as it is now is about 13k from purchase to today. It didn’t make sense to sell it and buy another bike - I wouldn’t have gotten the same quality of components on a new bike for that price.  

She did a bike fit the other day and bike fit dude reckons she still has another 2 years on the bike. She’s now 144cm and turning 10 in September. For 13k she’ll have a bike that has lasted 4 years which I think is pretty good for a growing kid.

In stock form the bike was very rideable. 

Downsides for me were the not-very-stoppy Tektro brakes, the weak sidewalls in the stock tyres, the chain slipping. 

Plus points are the frame weight, geometry and it’s a nice-looking bike. All components are decent for the price you pay. NB nothing wrong with the stock fork but as a coil fork it was heavy. It was a bit clunky over the slightly bigger bumps and jumps she was doing but it performed well and gave no issues. 

I have seen the Skid and must say I prefer the overall look of the Titan. Just feels like better quality to me. But that’s just visual. 

Pics of the bike as stock (but with better tyres) and then after Robert’s magic.

IMG_6241.jpeg.8abb357e81664bbb488aa0f887c4ef5c.jpeg
IMG_1378.jpeg.012c922880ca2dc4bcd133394ae6ba68.jpeg

On 6/19/2024 at 3:57 PM, Chantall said:

Hi guys.

Thanks a Million 

Chantall if you are in the Bellville area, pop around with your youngster and TEST the fit of:

- Titan 24-9er

- 26" medium bike (Mongoose)

It is two totally different bikes !!!!!

Titan managed to fit 26" wheels in what is effectively an XS frame - it WORKS WELL !!  We absolutely love this bike.

The normal 26" bike has a much higher standover height.  It is significantly longer !

All that said, the answer depends on how tall you kid is, inseam length and arm length.

5 hours ago, RobynE said:

My kiddo has the Titan. Got it for her 8th birthday in September 2022. 

It served her very well in stock form. Very reliable and easy to ride. 

We started to have an issue with the chain slipping off the chain ring after about 16 months. LBS did some adjustments, fine for a few days, started again. New chain, same story. Chain guard, same story. I did a post on here asking for advice. Droo suggested it was because the Microshift der doesn’t have a clutch. I think he was on point.  

It did start to affect her confidence going downhill over bumps as the chain would jump off every.single.time and it was stoppage after stoppage to put it back. I didn’t love it either lol. 

It could have been a warranty thing but I found she was also running out of steam with the 1x8 setup. Furthermore I did not love the Tektro brakes and despite LBS adjustments etc they just weren’t sharp enough as her skill level and confidence was increasing. 

So, @RobertWhitehead fitted a SRAM GX 1x10 groupset, oval chainring, new press fit BB and new crankset with longer cranks. While at Robert’s place I got a little overexcited and a Rockshox Sid WC fork fell onto the bike as well. I’d already stumbled over some tubeless DT Swiss wheels with hubs here on the Hub. Oops, also tripped over some Avid Elixir brakes at Rob’s place. As you can tell I’m very clumsy. 

So the GX has *never* dropped a chain and she flies over any and all surfaces now. The bike is extremely light and agile and pretty bulletproof I’d say.  

Total cost all in for the bike as it is now is about 13k from purchase to today. It didn’t make sense to sell it and buy another bike - I wouldn’t have gotten the same quality of components on a new bike for that price.  

She did a bike fit the other day and bike fit dude reckons she still has another 2 years on the bike. She’s now 144cm and turning 10 in September. For 13k she’ll have a bike that has lasted 4 years which I think is pretty good for a growing kid.

In stock form the bike was very rideable. 

Downsides for me were the not-very-stoppy Tektro brakes, the weak sidewalls in the stock tyres, the chain slipping. 

Plus points are the frame weight, geometry and it’s a nice-looking bike. All components are decent for the price you pay. NB nothing wrong with the stock fork but as a coil fork it was heavy. It was a bit clunky over the slightly bigger bumps and jumps she was doing but it performed well and gave no issues. 

I have seen the Skid and must say I prefer the overall look of the Titan. Just feels like better quality to me. But that’s just visual. 

Pics of the bike as stock (but with better tyres) and then after Robert’s magic.

IMG_6241.jpeg.8abb357e81664bbb488aa0f887c4ef5c.jpeg
IMG_1378.jpeg.012c922880ca2dc4bcd133394ae6ba68.jpeg

Interesting about the chain falling off.

We bought the 24-9er and a bag full of parts .... got home and did a 1x11 conversion, then the tubeless.  What a nice bike.

Hi Chris F. 

Got the Titan 24" 9R this weekend.

If I may ask, what did you spend on the 1x11 conversion and tubeless? Also looking to upgrade. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Chantall said:

Hi Chris F. 

Got the Titan 24" 9R this weekend.

If I may ask, what did you spend on the 1x11 conversion and tubeless? Also looking to upgrade. Thanks.

Congratulations on the purchase.

Chantall this was end of 2019, think it was in the order of R4k.

Another 1x11 conversion cost me about R5k in 2022.

The tubeless conversion:

- 2x valves ... R100 - R150

- Rim tape ... R100

- Sealant ... worth buying a 1 liter, just works out cheaper in the long run.  R100 for the small bottles.

- Tyres .... Check if the current tyres have the following marking "TR" or "Tubeless Ready".  If the tyres are not TR, then is may take a lot of extra sealant to get the job done .....

On 6/20/2024 at 4:44 PM, ChrisF said:

Interesting about the chain falling off.

We bought the 24-9er and a bag full of parts .... got home and did a 1x11 conversion, then the tubeless.  What a nice bike.

Thanks for your support. 👍

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Congratulations on the purchase.

Chantall this was end of 2019, think it was in the order of R4k.

Another 1x11 conversion cost me about R5k in 2022.

The tubeless conversion:

- 2x valves ... R100 - R150

- Rim tape ... R100

- Sealant ... worth buying a 1 liter, just works out cheaper in the long run.  R100 for the small bottles.

- Tyres .... Check if the current tyres have the following marking "TR" or "Tubeless Ready".  If the tyres are not TR, then is may take a lot of extra sealant to get the job done .....

Thank you Chris. Appreciate the feedback