Silverback Sido 3 (2018) vs. Titan Racing Cypher RS Dash (2024) What should I get?

Hi guys, 

So I've been mountain biking for around 4 years now, on a super old Merida hardtail from 2006 and have decided it's time to get a better bike. 
After looking around I've found these two bikes that seem to be a pretty good value. 

https://bikemarket.co.za/home/shop/bicycles/pre-owned/pre-owned-mtb/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension-aluminium/pre-owned-titan-racing-cypher-rs-dash-l-bm9606-2024/
and
https://bikemarket.co.za/home/shop/bicycles/pre-owned/pre-owned-mtb/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension-aluminium/pre-owned-silverback-sido-3-m-bm9622-2018/

My max budget for the bike is around 20k, I cycle most of the mountain biking tracks around Johannesburg (Modderfontien reserve, Red Barn, Thaba Trails, Orange Farm) And usually do between 20 and 40kms per cycle. I would really like something that lasts me a long time like my previous bike and something that I can do a bit of everything on. 

I did test ride both of them and they both felt equally good (I think the bike I've been riding is so old I can't really tell the nuances of either bike). Obviously the Silverback is about 7k cheaper than the Titan but they felt about the same to ride the only difference i could really feel was ride position.

My main question here is am I overlooking something? Should I just save the 7k and get the cheaper bike? Any advice would be so helpful. Or any other recommendations. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Titan all the way. Much more up to date geometry, which will make the biggest difference to the ride. You'll take a while to get used to it, which is why you didn't notice much difference on the test ride.

The components on that Silverback aren't good enough to justify a 6 year old frame IMO.

I have a Sido 3. It's heavy. I once saw a container ship that weighed less. No idea what the Titans weigh. Having said that my Sido has held up very well over the years.

Some quality niggles (hubs, front shock etc), and the dealer claimed Silverback doesn't cover those. Have since discovered on their website that they apparently do cover it. Who knows, either way they decided South Africa, their land of birth, was no longer good enough for them and moved the whole she-bang to Canyon Land (Germany). Bye bye.

Before they left my wife bought a carbon-fibre gravel bike from them with massive quality issues concerning the bottle-cage mounts (loose, damaged threads). 

I won't buy another Silverback because of these niggles (the weight is good exercise, so I can live with that).

Titan. Who the bleep calls a bicycle a Titan? Dunno if I want to ride something called Titan. But hear from Titan owners that they are happy with what they have. Will they follow Silverback and Momsen? 

Why wouldn't you go with an international brand? Plenty here in SA with Spez, Giant, Cannondale, Merida etc. I'm all for supporting local – i.e. I won't import bits but buy from a local-ish bicycle shop (my local bicycle shop is, um, how do I put this politely?) – but have been a little disappointed by SA-made bicycle companies (having said that I have no experience nor opinion about Titan; except who the hell calls a bike Titan?? 👹).

And by now you should know that you are shopping for a decent groupset, the frame is secondary. 😆

Quick comment on the two ads you posted: a lot of Sido rear triangles have failed (mine is – touch wood – fine), and getting a replacement could mean shopping for a new bike (or not, I don't know but I'd prefer not to have first-hand knowledge about this). Buying used you have not a cooking clue how the bike was treated, and spotting hairline cracks is a dark science.

The Titan RS Sport (and who the hell calls a bike Titan??) has some weird-ass parts on it. The RS Dash looks a bit smarter of the two. If it were my money I'd cast the net a little wider.

Edited by tinmug

Thanks for all the comments, guys. They have all been very helpful. I think I will definitely not be going for the Silverback 😅.
I'm still not sure about the Titan though @tinmug What are the weird parts your talking about? 

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:
Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
titan
/ˈtʌɪtn/

noun

1. a person or thing of very great strength, intellect, or importance.

Ah. I thought it meant baaisiekkil-wif-gumwall-tyres. Thanks for the explanation, but I'll go to my grave thinking it's a daft name. 

Edited by tinmug

7 minutes ago, ThorstenR said:

Thanks for all the comments, guys. They have all been very helpful. I think I will definitely not be going for the Silverback 😅.
I'm still not sure about the Titan though @tinmug What are the weird parts your talking about? 

Microshift Advent X drivetrain. No cue what that is, and I don't think I want to know. Shimano; fine. Sram; fine. Anything else, paired with unknown brakes; not fine. 

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/2023-titan-racing-cypher-rs-dash-29″-mtb/  This one looks a bit more palatable. I just don't know about that name. Or the yellow boots. 

Edited by tinmug

7 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Microshift Advent X drivetrain. No cue what that is, and I don't think I want to know. Shimano; fine. Sram; fine. Anything else, paired with unknown brakes; not fine. 

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/2023-titan-racing-cypher-rs-dash-29″-mtb/  This one looks a bit more palatable. I just don't know about that name. Or the yellow boots. 

Haha okay cool. It's also a maybe on that one then.
I have a feeling my budget is maybe the problem here. 
What would you do if you were me? Save up a bit more to get a new Spez, Giant, Cannondale, Merida?

Explore the used market. 

But that Titan (ugh!) is not a bad buy. A Spez (worth buying) will probably cost a lot more. Have no clue what Giants cost, Cannonades are kinda expensive and servicing the Lefty ain't cheap. Might be a Merida of reasonable age and drivetrain/brakes lurking out there. 

Up the creek from you, plus comes with Ergon grips (which probably cost more than you old bike is worth) and bar ends (one careful old owner 🤣)

Edit ... I haven't had enough coffee today.

Actual link to the thing with Ergons: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/600362/merida-96-9600-l-nx12spd-tlr

Also meh fork, Spez above better in this regard. And colour; Spez also a better colour. Unless you're a careful old man then you'll be fine.

Edited by tinmug

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/732925/fully-serviced-upgraded-merida-120-400

Old but light (and carbon is repairable, aluminium not): https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/732672/scott-spark-920-hmf-superior-carbon-xt

In spite of ad saying Condition: Good (https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/732672/scott-spark-920-hmf-superior-carbon-xt) it doesn't look like it. Scratched stanchions, scratched frame, scratched bits everywhere. Some cosmetic, others could be trouble down the line (that would be the fork and goodness-knows what else I can't see in the fuzzy photos).

Shot for the links @tinmug
Hahaha yeah most things are worth more than my current bike 🤣.

That Merida looks really good... I also like the idea of sticking with Merida.