Bike24.com Advice - Shipping To Cape Town

Ody

Hi all, 

I am contemplating buying a 26" Dartmoor DJ frame from bike24.com, since my options are fairly limited in Cape Town.

I'm mainly worried about:

• Shipping reliability for such a large item (The SA Post Office doesn't have the best track record)
  • Retailer reliability (I've never bought from Bike24 or Starbike before)
  • Import tax

I've seen people recommend Aramex Global Shopper, but the reviews I've come across have not exactly instilled a sense of confidence. 

Any advice / alternatives would be appreciated from people who've used them before. 

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Ody said:

Hi all, 

I am contemplating buying a 26" Dartmoor DJ frame from bike24.com, since my options are fairly limited in Cape Town.

I'm mainly worried about:

• Shipping reliability for such a large item (The SA Post Office doesn't have the best track record)
  • Retailer reliability (I've never bought from Bike24 or Starbike before)
  • Import tax

I've seen people recommend Aramex Global Shopper, but the reviews I've come across have not exactly instilled a sense of confidence. 

Any advice / alternatives would be appreciated from people who've used them before. 

Thanks in advance.

See if you can't ship directly using a courier like DHL, or some such to avoid SAPO. That way you will also avoid paying sales tax in Europe, which you'll pay if you use AGS.

AGS is useful when buying brands that can't be shipped to SA, like SRAM and Shimano, as the retailer isn't shipping here, they're shipping locally, and then it's forwarded on.

If it's just a frame (vs full bike), my understanding is that it's only SARS VAT you'll pay and any customs clearance fees the courier may charge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Bike24 is legit. I can't comment on Starbike

Bought a dartmoor frame from bike24 a few years back. Used standard shipping and item was delivered to my door.

If i recall exact tax process (if i paid once item was released for delivery or when they actually delivered). I'll try and search mail to find something.

Have used Bike24 and Starbike awhile back but they are legit. They will ship probably with DHL but you will be contacted to pay tax when it arrives in Jhb at customs. Add 16.5% tax to purchase price to estimate your tax. No import duties on frames, wheels and components, only if you import complete bike you have to pay duties. Courier fees are included with what you pay to retailer.

Thanks @lechatnoir @babse @Cippo, appreciate the insight / advice. 

Bike24 sounds like a fairly reputable site then, and the tax seems reasonable. 

Looks like they determine the shipping option based on country; I've had good experiences with DHL, so hopefully they make use of them.

If they send EMS and then will be via SAPO. Currently SAPO and large parcels are quick to be processed, and they even deliver to your door.  On 2 recent parcels one being a bike frame from China, I had to pay the courier (yes SAPO used a local delivery company) the duties, either cash or ewallet.  It is the small parcels that take forever and get lost in the SAPO system. Large parcels seemed to get processed differently with SAPO.

1 hour ago, Ody said:

Thanks @lechatnoir @babse @Cippo, appreciate the insight / advice. 

Bike24 sounds like a fairly reputable site then, and the tax seems reasonable. 

Looks like they determine the shipping option based on country; I've had good experiences with DHL, so hopefully they make use of them.

Bike24 are German based. So the DHL is the local post office service they make use of. It’s not DHL Express which is what you want. I’m pretty sure that if you order from Bike24 it’s going to come via post office.

@Ody you can contact Willem  Basson on (074) 638-7983.  His wife works for Bike 24 and I recently purchased a Seat post from Willem via Bike 24. Everything went smoothly 👌
He based in Cape Town.

Edited by Luca Stermin

@Luca Stermin Thanks for the heads up! How exactly did it work, did you just contact them directly to place an order, and they took care of the rest?

On 8/14/2024 at 2:47 PM, Ody said:

Only have good experiences with them but it's comes with a premium...$$$

On 8/15/2024 at 4:10 PM, Bub Marley said:

Bike24 are German based. So the DHL is the local post office service they make use of. It’s not DHL Express which is what you want. I’m pretty sure that if you order from Bike24 it’s going to come via post office.

Following on from my initial post, I see the shipping cost has now increased from 20 to 50 euros. It might be worth your while to find out a bit more about this because with that sort of price jump, you’d asssume its not a post office but a proper courier delivery.

9 hours ago, Luca Stermin said:

@Ody that is correct. Just speak to Willem and he will include the shipping and duties fees to the invoice.

Do they offer this service or just do it as favors etc. 

They facilitate easier and safer delivery into SA via post office or am I understanding this incorrectly. 

I do see they advise you of courier and taxes applicable