Bike Commuting Tips

Hog_

Man did I laugh when I saw that knife on that Gios bike (well it is the right blue?)

Hey, watchit!! Don't call my bike a Gios OK! How would you feel if I tell people you drive a Renault?

20080827_233017_Gios.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man did I laugh when I saw that knife on that Gios bike (well it is the right blue?)

Hey' date=' watchit!! Don't call my bike a Gios OK! How would you feel if I tell people you drive a Renault?

[/quote'] OK already!  No need to get nasty.  Renault nogal....

In winter I wear leggings and have sewn a reflective patch on the left calf,  which all the motorists that see me say they notice even before the flashing light. Also put your clothes in a plastic bag inside your backpak,  if you ride daily, because what might start out a dry ride could be caught in the rain.  Agree with the,  "leave at the same time every day" suggestion because you will be surprised at how many people get used to seeing you at the same spot every day. Also if possible interact with the drivers you see along the way,  the more people that know you the better.

Agree with the' date='  "leave at the same time every day" suggestion because you will be surprised at how many people get used to seeing you at the same spot every day. Also if possible interact with the drivers you see along the way,  the more people that know you the better.[/quote']

that is true. I get the same rude lady every day and she swears at me everyday and I just wave at her.

I also have those Anatomic reflective bands that I wear around my ankles and a runners reflective belt that I strap vertically around my backpack. I also clip a flashing light onto this strap on the bottom of my backpack. When you hunch over the bottom of the bag is visible.

hands up everyone who's gone commando at work because they packed in a rush?

and without socks. It felt like I was in Miami Vice.

I think you guys have over thought this.

Why do you need a change of clothes? My gardener has been coming to work, on his bike, in his work kit for years.

All you need is an elastic to keep the chain and your pants leg separate and you are done!!!

If it's raining use a second elastic to fasten an umbrella (ella ella) to your handlebars, right next to the cycle comp usually works well.

Try it, it will work. (Take photos)

No need to complicate the issue.

hands up everyone who's gone commando at work because they packed in a rush?

There's worse things in life than going commando LOL

Well. Interesting day.

I'm at work. My bike is in the car. My back-pack and riding gear is also in the car. Shower stuffies, chamois, deo - all in the car. Only thing I don't have is clothing for the week. Our Florence only comes tomorrow, so I don't really have a lot of (ironed) clothing. Not a huge issue, I can put clothes in the backpack. I have everything I need except for my water bottle, which is not the end of the world, I can make a plan.

There is a wind from hell outside. Actually no - wind from hell would be warm, right? This one is FREEZING! Do I really want to do this to myself? Is it wrong to secretly hope for a last-minute urgent job to come last this afternoon so I'm forced to take the car tonight?

I need to think this over. Maybe over a beer, that normally get the ideas flowing Evil%20Smile

Hog, seize the moment!

This is your day. Go home on your bike and stop wishing for excuses. At 5, you casually stroll out that door, dressed in lycra and hit the road. There's nothing to it. Tomorrow you pack your creased chinos in that backpack and do the opposite.

You'll notice that 1/2 your day tomorrow is already spoken for as everybody will want to talk to you, feel your bicepts and glance at your lycra. Now's also the time to display some of those medals in your cubicle. That can easily kill another 1/4 day.

• If you do pack clothes, rolling 'em keeps creases away (if you can't keep 'em neatly folded)
  • Be very aware at dawn/dusk: the glare blinds cars.

• Watch out for turning cars.  Especially oncoming traffic at robots.

• It's not a training ride.  Don't get upset if you have to brake and upset your rhythm.
  • Glass or car is the same as tire or hospital.