Bike Commuting Tips

Hog_

JB' date=' where's the rest of your list. [/quote']

Sorry, I forgot to add:

26) Get a real manly frame pump with aluminium body and robust shaft. Commuting time is not for fiddling with little poofter  mini pumps.

27) Real commuters ride Frankenbikes. Racers with cow-horn handles, only a front brake, lots of black insulation tape all over the frame, downtube shifters, mudguards and beeeeg locks.

28) If you do something stupid, like fudge the unclip at a traffic light and you fall in front of the entire intersection, get up gracefully, pretend you don't notice the flap of skin on your knee and bow formally to both sides of traffic. It makes everyone's day.

29) You are allowed to hold on to commercial vehicles and most bakkies when stopping at lights, but BMW drivers don't like it.

30) Keep a little dictaphone in your back pocket for capturing those little brainwaves that disappear as soon as you start pedalling.

31) The best place to keep a cellphone (if you intend answering on the commute) is in a velcro pocket on the shoulder strap of your backpack, like where the British cops carry their walkie talkies.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JB, you are legend! LOL

Luckily I'm in the ad industry, so we're pretty relaxed about work clothes etc. My red Falke socks won't be too bad Wink

I'll go out this weekend and get some pepper spray, just in case. I suppose there's always a chance of someone relieving me of my bike, if I'm riding the Spruit or not. The longer route is also a great idea.

Cut cut cut

I'll go out this weekend and get some pepper spray' date=' just in case. I suppose there's always a chance of someone relieving me of my bike, if I'm riding the Spruit or not. The longer route is also a great idea.

[/quote']

Pepper spray is for poofters. Get a knife. A Portuguese cabbage knife has the best effect on most people.   Besides, you never know when it'll come in handy....you know, wanting to clean your nails or peel an apple or something.

20080827_090408_knife_1.JPG20080827_090447_knife2.JPG

Cut cut cut

I'll go out this weekend and get some pepper spray' date=' just in case. I suppose there's always a chance of someone relieving me of my bike, if I'm riding the Spruit or not. The longer route is also a great idea.

[/quote']

Pepper spray is for poofters. Get a knife. A Portuguese cabbage knife has the best effect on most people.   Besides, you never know when it'll come in handy....you know, wanting to clean your nails or peel an apple or something.

20080827_090408_knife_1.JPG20080827_090447_knife2.JPG

Just what I need! So wise.

You don't say whether you have a shower at work??

Sorry - just realized I missed this. Have a shower, no one's used it in years though. I think I'll go test it this weekend - ride down to office, shower, ride back home LOL

Commuting:

ride as if no one sees you. ?Always anticupate for the motorist. ?Remember if he can do something stupid he will.

plan your route. ?get your gps out, muse over maps. ?choose backroutes with stop streets, not traffic lights. ?Avoid undulating routes, either go up or down. ?remember very down is an up waiting to get you later.

plan alternative routes, important if the traffic is difficult and you need to detour in a hurry.

ride at the same time on the same route. ?(unless you do cross country then vary route and time to prevent criminal ambushes) ?In this way cars drivers get used to you and expect you in their space.

Get a backpack with refelctive piping or patches on it (and a light maybe).

Ride with robust "training tyres" ?they puncture less easily.

shower at work.

My tip is always keep a spare pair of socks for when at work, nothing worse than wet socks for the rest of the day because of rain or a puddle.

And ALWAYS make sure you have packed your work shoes, it really sucks getting changed at work then realizing you have forgotten your shoes.

I used to ride along the spruit to where I have a part time job, but the feeling of unease of riding alone there got to me (the vagrants are just too dodgy).

Is the spruit that bad these days? I moved to the cape in '89. As a schoolkid I spent most of my afternoons buggering around there and it was great fun and totally safe. Sign of the times in SA I guess.

On the commuting topic, I'm preparing to start commuting by bike myself, but only once or twice a week. Gotta just get on the bike one day and try it, but waiting for the days to get longer.

Man did I laugh when I saw that knife on that Gios bike (well it is the right blue?)

Anyway, my tips (or what I do):

1. Leave a pair of shoes, belt, trousers at work and only take clean socks, underwear and shirt with you.  Cuts down the weight!

2. Use a washcloth or that swimmers chamois ShortLegs talked about to dry yourself.  A towel is just too big and not required.

3. Leave an old set of kit in the office just in case. One day when you are really really wet you will appreciate it!

I always kept a small dispenser of antiseptic talcum powder at the office, great for keeping that jock itch at bay, that and Dettol cream. I live near the dome and work in sandton, 24 km each way and 400m af climbing.

I spent a day barefeet in the office this year. It was pouring down one afternoon so I took a lift with a co-worker, bike in his car's boot & still in my (always at) "work" shoes. It rained more for a day or two. First sunny day I was all happy-chappie cycling to work & only learned by predicament on the sight of the empty spot inside of my locker. Barefeet is actually very relaxing, but it was a day I only ventured to the tea room & back.

great tips so far, get a reflective vest also at Afrox safety shop, mine was R16 or something.

Learn where garages are en route, it can save effort in case of a puncture if you can inflate at one.

Keep a tube of germaline or some antiseptic balm that does not stain at work. Just do it. a Band-aid or two is also a good idea to keep blood in it's place. Murphy's law: if it's there you won't need it.

latentree2008-08-27 14:59:56