Okay whats the concensus on this...........

widget

My club called yesterday to ask me to send in my license form for 2007.

I said I will think about it.

Honestly I have been a licensed vet for, I dunno, maybe 7 or 8 years now, but I no longer have the urge to spend the 12 or so hours a week training, which I believe, is needed to just stay in the bunch, - I say "just stay in the bunch" - I have no illusions of ever winning".

Cycling takes up an inordinate amount of time, and I feel one misses out on many other pass times I enjoy because of a training schedule - and for what?? - I have no real answer to that. 

My wife and I enjoy so many things, scuba diving, hiking (I gave up a spot on the otter trail two years ago to train for the Shova - something I have always regretted), golf, boating, water skiing and so on, these interests have just sort of taken a back seat over the last few years and I am keen to expand my outdoor choices.

So will I re-license? - I dont really know.!!The club thinks I should, but I am in two minds.

Maybe I will just turtle along next year in the open sections and re-gain some interest in cycling raceing.? 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Michelle

Don't license & spend more time with your wife doing stuff that you can enjoy together.  Wink

Just my opinion...

If I follow my gut, it leads me to the Butcher Shop & Grill in Sandton every single time....

Not so good for my cycling

Widget:  I think you made up your mind......My opinion:  If you really, really, really  wanted to ride licence you wouldn't have thought about the option.  

Tough decision Widget, as you mention your club thinks you do, but hey, its not so bad turtling along in the open sections

Funriders. They ride - but for fun.

(C'mon - when last did you have a cold Castle en route?)

I had mine on the 94.7.Big%20smile......sjoe,  felt a bit dizzy at the finish...but the champagne and beer on the route .......good stuff.......

Oh stop being such a big girl's blouse!

You should up your training to 16-18 hours a week, which would would allow you to finish midway down the bunch.

Or perhaps not.

Take a break.

If you already hesitate about licencing you won't enjoy racing vets next year. Firstly it will be a drag te get on your bike to train everyday as you would like to do something else with that time.

Secondly when you race you would probably not put in the effort needed and end up dropping from the bunch and then not enjoy the race anyway.

Go ride in the open A-bunch with the "Fun" riders.

In a year you might feel like racing again.

Book now for the Otter or Whale trail.Enjoy time off and the "racing" in the A and lower bunches.Somewhere along the line you build up a hunger for racing actively again and then you go the license route again.

My penny's worth and experience of that same feeling..Smile

Big%20smile

Spot on Widget mate....I have other pastimes as well...fishing/boating etc...& of course my family who comes first above any of my sports..I could care less about staying in & with the bunch.....Seeding ?? don't care for that either....Thumbs%20Down

I ride with & for a Club & they cool on choice of races & whatever time U set for yourself...I can live with that...

"DTThumbs%20Up"