Power tap worth it or not?

busch1

GoLefty seems to be on a crusade against bmp & power tap. I recall other "misquotes", inuendo & allegations that were uncovered as bullsh*t. If you are considering power training I suggest you ignore GoLefty's input.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Software that comes with it is not that great but we use Training Peaks WKO+. You can download it off the web which is compatible with lots of cycling computers and that is awesome software for analysis. As discussed a coach that knows what they are doing is key otherwise its just an expensive cycling accesrory. Why is Formaula 1 so obessed about data form there cars when they practice and race. Its how they improve. The same principal applies to cycling. Over time you will also get a better understanding of how to use you PM to improve your riding. I firmly believe in it and so do most of the pro's. No brainer..... Enjoy it!

Look if you want to reach your full potential in cycling, which I pressume is what you want to do, rather go with the powermeter than the wheels. Do yourself a favour start by reading Joe friel's book: Training Bible and then hunter Allen's books. Do as much as possible research you can do on power and get yourself a coach who don't mind sharing his knowledge. Once you know what's going on you can start self-coaching, at the end of the day there's nobody who knows your body better than yourself, and you train for greater personal reason, instead because the coach said so. This could be extremely motivating in itself, but you need to know what you doing.

However don't be fooled! At the end of the day a powermeter is not a necasarity when it comes to cycling success...There is lots of ways of reaching your atmost potential...But the powermeter option is definitly the safest(in terms of burning out or overtraining) and easiest way(know what best works for you and what doesn't work).

Note: DO NOT GET A POWERMETER IF YOU THINK ITS GONNA MAKE YOUR TRAINING EASIER, ITS DAMN HARD!OuchLOLThumbs%20Up
Racing Hart2008-10-02 12:56:14

busch i got a set of very nice light reynolds dv46 for racing, but training with my powertap has got me going far faster than they did! chat to zerocool, he's pretty knowledgeable on it.

Put that R10k in your pocket and train more.

But I am sure 95% of people here would dissagree...

So I am just quietly going to crawl back to my hole again.......

ClapClap

I'll third thatClap

If someone told me to ride 100k's as fast as I could right now, I would take the light, aero wheels.

But if they said do it in 3 months time I would take the PT and use it to train in a structured way.

At the end of the day light wheels will make you faster without training more but a PT (and coach) will make you a lot faster by training properly.

If someone told me to ride 100k's as fast as I could right now' date=' I would take the light, aero wheels.

But if they said do it in 3 months time I would take the PT and use it to train in a structured way.

At the end of the day light wheels will make you faster without training more but a PT (and coach) will make you a lot faster by training properly.
[/quote']

Stuart (?), you would be fooling yourself. Good thing we know the placebo effect does work.

I assume you're referring to the difference in weight between the two weels and that the lighter one would make your faster.

It may, but probably won't. Wheel weight is such a small factor in overall performance that you may as well negate the odd 500 grams or so.

If your terrain was flat, the extra burden the heavier wheel (say 500 grams) would put on you would be that of accellerating the extra 500 grams initially up to the 35 kph or so you would be able to maintain over the distance. That's all. Should you encounter a hill or two, then the extra weight would tax you approximately 5 joules of energy per meter you have to climb. If you climb that meter in one second, it would require a half watt of power from you.

On a very heavy ride where you climb 10 000 meters, the extra energy required to drag the PowerTap up with you would be 5 000 joules or 5 kilojoules.

5000 sounds like a lot, but it can be supplied by a mere 25ml of Windhoek Light or a small sip of Powerade. 

Don't fool yourself with wheel weight. It has been blown out of all proportion by the industry and its blind disciples.

If someone told me to ride 100k's as fast as I could right now' date=' I would take the light, aero wheels.

[/quote']

Stuart (?), you would be fooling yourself. Good thing we know the placebo effect does work.

I assume you're referring to the difference in weight between the two weels and that the lighter one would make your faster.

It may, but probably won't. Wheel weight is such a small factor in overall performance that you may as well negate the odd 500 grams or so.

If your terrain was flat, the extra burden the heavier wheel (say 500 grams) would put on you would be that of accellerating the extra 500 grams initially up to the 35 kph or so you would be able to maintain over the distance. That's all. Should you encounter a hill or two, then the extra weight would tax you approximately 5 joules of energy per meter you have to climb. If you climb that meter in one second, it would require a half watt of power from you.

On a very heavy ride where you climb 10 000 meters, the extra energy required to drag the PowerTap up with you would be 5 000 joules or 5 kilojoules.

5000 sounds like a lot, but it can be supplied by a mere 25ml of Windhoek Light or a small sip of Powerade. 

Don't fool yourself with wheel weight. It has been blown out of all proportion by the industry and its blind disciples.

If he was doing a 100Km Time Trial the weight of the wheels wouldn't make much difference but wheel aerodynamics could make a difference of a minute or 2.

The planned TT was up a 100km hill @ 10% into a 50km/h headwind!Wink

Eisshh even a PT won't help there Dead

I PowerTap is telling me I have not gotten any stronger in the last 2years...piece of cr@p @#$#$$%^&&&$%###!%^&**LOL 

hey jaba.......time to update your signature me thinks Big%20smile

You've got a point. Unfortunately the signature character count restriction doesn't leave enough room to add "a 64 bit extension to a 32 bit extension" to it.