Power tap worth it or not?

busch1

Its like any tool. If you learn to use it correctly its the way to go but if you don't do the necessary research or get a coach who has done the research then its just another expensive toy.

This post hits the nail on the head. Like any tool' date=' a power meter (Polar, PowerTap, SRM etc) needs to be used correctly or else it is a waste and you can go with Spidey's recomendation. In order to use it correctly you have to learn how to do that or else you need someone to tell you how to do it.

[/quote']

your bicycle is also a tool...if you use it correctly them you will reap the benefits...I know of a lot of cyclist who does not use a powertap they will put away most of the powertap users away on a Sunday coffee ride.LOL

Powertap = over rated!!Big%20smile

Sure there are many cyclists who do not use such a tool and kick the crap out of many of those that do but maybe those they could kick even harder?

Oh - a bicycle is not a tool. If you don't have a bicycle then you wouldn't be cycling - not the same as the powermeter discussion Wink

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good argument spinnekop...i do race in the jnr bunch and hav got a coach

Need to basically know if it is worth getting or instead a new set of wheels???

busch12008-10-03 13:14:40

Dude - if that's your dilemma then get the wheels. If you want the power meter then you got be be able to afford both.

Doesn't your bike have wheels? Stop wasting money.

Do you race for 1st' date=' 2nd or 3rd place or for 250th spot?

[/quote']

Don't know about this argument Mampara.

A good friend of mine has a different viewpoint.....(Him being a 250th place guy)

Do you want to train 15 hours a week and come race day you die a slow painful death trying to stick to the bunch?

or

do you want to train a clever 8 hours a week and come race day you actually sit in the front of the bunch taking it easy and still get 250th place.

?

If that's my goal, I'll take the clever route, which doesn't necessarily include a power meter... there are other ways to achieve that goal...

What do people from personal experience have to say.  A website that promotes powertaps might be a little biased no?

BMP doesn't promote Powertap specifically, although you can buy them from their website. BMP is more about promoting training with power. Powertap just happens to be the most affordable serious option, so its popular.

Wheels??

wheels make a difference in racing etc. But you will have a bigger advantage training right.. that's where cyclists (not all) make a mistake. They will rather ride the best equipment to help them, rather  to just get a good training tool and coach which IMO is a lot cheaper and more fun if you can analyze the data and see your fitness improve. 

I know of a lot of cyclist who does not use a powertap they will put away most of the powertap users away on a Sunday coffee ride.LOL

What a dumb comment! Using a particular piece of equipment, or training in a certain way doesn't (unfortunately) change your natural cycling ability. Whether a non-powertap user can beat a powertap user is completely irrelevant.

You shouldn't be riding so hard on your coffee ride anyway Wink

I'd get the powertap before the wheels. And your coach will love you for it, cos he can see if you're sticking to the training program.

FACT: training with power is the most efficient means of improving your cycling ability. It is also the most accurate measure of your abilities.

OPINION: whether you care enough about being better to spend the money.

I went to the Joe friel training bible launch at cyclelab. He was saying that until Power Meters came along there was no accurate way of quantifying how fit you are.

A power meter allows you to do this. It will tell you how much power you can output over a specific course or time frame.

One of Lance Armstrongs books talked about LA doing a certain climb in France in training and until he could get to a magic number of Watts/kg he knew he could win the Tour because no one else had the same numbers. (something like that it has been a while since I read it)

Joe Friel also mentioned that there are power meters for runners and swimmers coming soon.

You shouldn't be riding so hard on your coffee ride anyway Wink

oooohhhhh......your on the wrong ride then....

This is why the Gauteng boytjies are kicking the woltone's behinds.......

Translation:  Sunday ride:

Ride till you puke to make space for coffee....

The training experts and front riders here have given you good adivice as whether you're a suitable candidate or not.

There are some practic al considerations that also come to play.

PowerTap is arguably the best product one can buy at a reasonable price. Your other option is the Ergomo but it only measures left leg power. The PowerTap measures power that reaches the back wheel and SRM measures power applied to the crank.

Whether you want to measure power with or without drive train losses is irrelevant since you're not after abosolute but relative measurements. As long as they're consistent, you're OK.

A PowerTap hub needs to be built into a wheel and that requires some special skill. The problem lies in the size of the hub diameter which makes the spokes approach the rim at an obtuse angle - a definite spoke breaker. Some people even want their PowerTaps built into deep section wheels such as Zipps - this is a very bad idea in terms of spoke durability. I think the most practical solution is a box section rim such as Open Pro or DCR ST 17 - this is not shiny enough for all but the most sensible riders.

I have built dozens of PowerTap wheels for customers and I can honestly say PowerTap-based wheels are fragile in comparison with standard small diameter hub wheels.

Obviously that shouldn't put you off from using PowerTap - if you're the right candidate for one then get one. But remember, there are some maintenance issues around those. Luckily not as bad as those Ksyrium wheels I see all the time.