Power tap worth it or not?

busch1

People saying lots about power taps. Is power training worthit? Are there other Alternatives? Can it improve your racing?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go to the bikemaxpower.com website. They have a whole explanation why power is the best way to go..

Yes absolutely. It is a lot of money but for once you will be able to see actual workload and be able to measure what you have been doing and seeing on black and white..

I will never be able to go back to conventional HR training.. It is personal. Some like it, some dont. Me, I think it's the best thing that came around..!

What do people from personal experience have to say.  A website that promotes powertaps might be a little biased no?

People saying lots about power taps. Is power training worthit? Are there other Alternatives? Can it improve your racing?

Its like any tool. If you learn to use it correctly its the way to go but if you don't do the necessary research or get a coach who has done the research then its just another expensive toy.

Put that R10k in your pocket and train more.

But I am sure 95% of people here would dissagree...

So I am just quietly going to crawl back to my hole again.......

Well, MTN use it (SRM though, But power)

CSC use it

Astana use it

Chippotle/slipstream use it

Need I say anymore??

Do you race for 1st' date=' 2nd or 3rd place or for 250th spot?

[/quote']

Exactly! For okes like Parra racing for 250th place it's of very little to no use IMHO (for us racing for 170th it might be debatable >>>>>>Wink)

Put that R10k in your pocket and train more.

But I am sure 95% of people here would dissagree...

So I am just quietly going to crawl back to my hole again.......

ClapClap

go to the bikemaxpower.com website. They have a whole explanation why power is the best way to go..

and speak to zerocool.. He is already a master on this subject..!

Its like any tool. If you learn to use it correctly its the way to go but if you don't do the necessary research or get a coach who has done the research then its just another expensive toy.

This post hits the nail on the head. Like any tool, a power meter (Polar, PowerTap, SRM etc) needs to be used correctly or else it is a waste and you can go with Spidey's recomendation. In order to use it correctly you have to learn how to do that or else you need someone to tell you how to do it.

I also think it does not matter which position you are racing for, its a matter of optimising your training to be the best that you can be. If you can afford to use and expensive tool then go for it irrespective of your place in the race.

Do you race for 1st' date=' 2nd or 3rd place or for 250th spot?

[/quote']

Don't know about this argument Mampara.

A good friend of mine has a different viewpoint.....(Him being a 250th place guy)

Do you want to train 15 hours a week and come race day you die a slow painful death trying to stick to the bunch?

or

do you want to train a clever 8 hours a week and come race day you actually sit in the front of the bunch taking it easy and still get 250th place.

?

This post hits the nail on the head. Like any tool' date=' a power meter (Polar, PowerTap, SRM etc) needs to be used correctly or else it is a waste and you can go with Spidey's recomendation. In order to use it correctly you have to learn how to do that or else you need someone to tell you how to do it.

[/quote']

your bicycle is also a tool...if you use it correctly them you will reap the benefits...I know of a lot of cyclist who does not use a powertap they will put away most of the powertap users away on a Sunday coffee ride.LOL

Powertap = over rated!!Big%20smile

Great piece of equipment, but has to be used properly.  To get the most benefit it needs to be used in congunction with a coach.

Problem with a PT is that it never tells a lie Confused.  If you are told to do 10 intervals at a specific power you have to do them!