Why cyclists get hit

ewep

OK, loooong lead up, so bear with me.

After the 24 hour I'm taking a rest off the bike, just 5 days.  So I still get up early to get to work.  This morning I was travelling down Oxford Rd (in Jhb for the Capies) towards Sandton, when I came across this oke on his Colnago.

Initially he was weaving between cars, busses and taxis at the robots.  He cycled in front of cars, cut them off, etc, etc.  In general, causing a lot of ***!  The people on the road were getting the hell in with this oke, and to top it all, so was I!!!!!!

As we stopped at one robot, 2 busses stopped next to each other (???? coaches, the maroon ones and Metro Bus).  As they pulled away the  @SSHOLE tried to go BETWEEN the 2 busses.  Believe you me, there is no space on this road for that.  One car driver sitting behind ASSHOLE blew his hooter (just a short pap-pap) to warn the oke.  He then duly began swearing and signing at the bus drivers and the cars around him, while riding between the 2 lanes.

At this stage I was VERY moerig.  I drove next to the oke, opened my window, and gave him a piece of my mind.  Fout aan my kant.  He swore at me, told me how he would beat the crap out of me (even though 5 times smaller than me!).  My only answer to this was to tell him to wake up as he was causing trouble for ALL cyclists.  And that, according to me, solved everything.

BUUUUUTTTTT, come the next robot the oke stopped on my side of the car, which at this moment was standing in the right hand lane Oxford Rd, got off and stormed the car.  So I got out, and waited, all patient and everything.  He then told me that, according to law, all vehicles much watch out for cyclists and he can ride as he wants.  And he warrad on and on, and then took a swing.  So he hit my chest (hurt a bit), but at least I got a decent plathand klap in.  A few guys then pulled the oke off me and in general stopped the fight. 

I don't know what the okes name is, etc.  but I now know why people want to kill us on the road.  So to this oke, THANKS BUDDY, next time a cyclist gets beaten up, or Deon "poep gevreet" Maas writes his hate speeches, consider yourself one of the causes.  And o ja, I'm 75% MTBer, next time I will moer you!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, now give us full description of this oke - what kit he had on etc, so that we can try to id the guy...

Silver colnago, looked like a Ti, maybe an old bike.  New Shimano shifters (I think Ultegra).  Shorter than me, FdJ.com kit, white Met helmet and a *** attitude!

And he was traveling towards Sandton on Oxford rd, 2 robots from the M1.

What time was this? EPOH and i just did a 40 odd km ride with some guys from the Total garage in Oxford Rd @ Thrupps in Illovo, and there was a guy on a Colnago (C50). What kit was he wearing?

To be totally honest these guys this morning were riding really badly. Jumping the lights, and not paying much attention to the traffic. As you say its guys like these that give us a bad name!!

What time was this? EPOH and i just did a 40 odd km ride with some guys from the Total garage in Oxford Rd @ Thrupps in Illovo' date=' and there was a guy on a Colnago (C50). What kit was he wearing?

To be totally honest these guys this morning were riding really badly. Jumping the lights, and not paying much attention to the traffic. As you say its guys like these that give us a bad name!!
[/quote']

Yeah I agree, bunch of idiots in the group this morning. It's the first time I found it to be so disorganised. heh! The one guy threw his water bottle at a car Shocked

Zaskar showed me where Oupa got bliksemed the other morning and after the bottle incident we were joking that it might have been the okes on our ride this morning that gave oupa the knock.

While again you can't condone inappropriate manners on the road nor violence in general, you need to be a bit more circumspect with your attitude Ewep.  I am not criticising you for giving him a piece of your mind and for trying to correct his poor behaviour.  But you start and end your commentary effectively saying that this type of behaviour means cyclists deserve to be hit on the road.  If we as a cycling community can't accept that as bullsh*t then how can we expect the non-cycling community to think like civilised human beings.  No one ever deserves to be hit by a car no matter how poor the behaviour, even your new Colnago friend.

Ewep, you should have just shown him the photo of you getting back into your kit at the 24hr and he would have bolted into the hills.

Linnega, in retrospect I have to agree.  But at that stage I was so cross my way of expressing myself is completely wrong (those that know me knows my english stinks when I'm moerig).  I don't condone cyclists being hit, but this oke had an angel on his shoulder.

ewep, of course the biggest pity is that you didn't zap a photo of him to publish for all to see who he is/what he looks like!

Ewep good for you! I was driving on Atlas Rd in Benoni when I Passed a guy on a specialized bike he was wearing long pants thay did not fit so lekker(It was probably about 34 degrees), spinning at a cadence of about 2000, obviously not been cycling for long.

I passed about a metre and a half away from him keeping in mind that this road already has a yellow line area of two metres wide, the ass then proceeded in throwing me the middle finger. I proceeded to the next robot were I politely asked him what his problem was, he politely told me to eff off.

I told him that he was setting a bad example for all cyclists I even had my bike on the back off the car at that time. He proceeded to follow me into the complex were I stay hurling abuse ,I once again stopped gave him my addres in the complex and asked him to meet me there so we could  sort this out in a civilized manner. The as@#%$ then suddenly found it impossible to get through the 1.5 metre gap at the booms of the estate.

Im really tired of guys dragging all cyclists name through through the mud and I think they should be taken to task and not just left to carry on the way they do. 

Good job EWEP.  I would have done the same.  Cycling to work most days I see a lot of ID10TS that can't abide to the rules.  What is wrong with us cyclists?  Can't some of us think or what.  Anger one bull and you will p*ss off 10 of his friends

Nee nee nee f*kkit ewep, wat maak jy vandag? Dit is nou nie sulke dinge wat ek wil lees eerste ding in die moere nie... Maar nice going. Ek stem, party ouens is maar d000se... ek kan nie glo dat hy jou probeer moer het nie... Dit moes moerse snaaks gelyk het. Anyway... hoop jou bors is nie te seur nie... lekker dag en aseblief hou op fight nou toe...