Training wheels and Racing wheels

JoeK

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a set of Kysrium SL's for a reasonable price including a DA cassette.

I dont race that often so I use the Ksyriums as everyday wheels.

Only the sponsored dudes and the ones with wallets bigger than their brains have training wheels and racing wheels.

So wat maak dit my - ek het 'n oefen fiets' date=' 'n "racing" fiets, 'n TT fiets en 'n bergfiets. O ja, daar l? nog 'n raam en 2 stelle wiele ?rens op 'n kas...

Ek word nie gesponsor nie...
[/quote']

Hey Sias kyk bietjie op daai kas waar daai 2 stelle wiele is en laat weet of jy nie dalk 'n stel wil verkoop nie. My stel wiele het met die trek uitgekm nou klink dit my dit is poofter wiele.

I use Rolf Vector Comp wheels with Ultra Gatorskins as training wheels' date=' and Ksyrium SL's with Conti GP4000 tyres as racing wheels. Find I climb a lot better with Ksyriums, and they seem to roll a lot better due to the better quality, and hence smoother turning, hubs and bearings.

cut cut cut cut

[/quote']

How did you find that you climbed a lot better with the Ciriums than with the Vectors?

What do you mean by "they roll better"? Is there something wrong with the bearings in the Vectors? Have they gone square?

C'mon, you've been here long enough to know better.

Training on heavier wheels does not make you stronger, it just makes you ride slower. Probably the best reason for having a spare set of wheels just for racing is the convenience of having a backup in case you damage something close to race day. It also adds to your peace of mind if they are set up with new rubber and checked before the event.

Only the sponsored dudes and the ones with wallets bigger than their brains have training wheels and racing wheels.

So wat maak dit my - ek het 'n oefen fiets' date=' 'n "racing" fiets, 'n TT fiets en 'n bergfiets. O ja, daar l? nog 'n raam en 2 stelle wiele ?rens op 'n kas...

Ek word nie gesponsor nie...
[/quote']

Lyk my ek is dan 'over the top' want jy kan dan nog training MTB, Racing HT MTB en Racing FS MTB daarby sit ........ Embarrassed

If I had to have just one wheelset, and had lots of money, it would be Lightweight clinchers. Second on the list would be a handbuilt set with Edge38 rims. Third probably Fulcrum 0s, largely because the red rims would look nice with my bike.  

I use Rolf Vector Comp wheels with Ultra Gatorskins as training wheels' date=' and Ksyrium SL's with Conti GP4000 tyres as racing wheels. Find I climb a lot better with Ksyriums, and they seem to roll a lot better due to the better quality, and hence smoother turning, hubs and bearings.

cut cut cut cut

[/quote']

How did you find that you climbed a lot better with the Ciriums than with the Vectors?

What do you mean by "they roll better"? Is there something wrong with the bearings in the Vectors? Have they gone square?

C'mon, you've been here long enough to know better.

JB, you can be pedantic when you want. Wink

The Mavic's bearings are a lot smoother (i.e they turn easier with less resistance than the Rolf's.) The Rolf's are also heavier than the Mavic's, etc. It all adds up to quicker wheels. But maybe I'm blinded by the hype about unsprung weight and smoother bearings etc, benefitting you when cycling. Confused

JB' date=' you can be pedantic when you want. Wink

The Mavic's bearings are a lot smoother (i.e they turn easier with less resistance than the Rolf's.) The Rolf's are also heavier than the Mavic's, etc. It all adds up to quicker wheels. But maybe I'm blinded by the hype about unsprung weight and smoother bearings etc, benefitting you when cycling. Confused
[/quote']

Not the first time I've been called a pedant....or worse.

However, lets stick to the facts, shall we?

Lets assume the Rolfs are very bad and the Mavic's very good. Thus, the Rolfs sap, at 40kph, 1 Watt through bearing drag.  You put out 100 Watts. How will you feel the 1% difference. Note that I've used extreme examples.

Lets assume the Rolfs are 1kg heavier than the Cyriums. You and your Cyrium bike weigh 80 kgs. You and your Rolf bike weigh 81kgs. After a 10 000 meter climb you've exerted 10000 joules (10 kilojoule) more energy to get the Rolf's to the top. 1 Windhoek light provides 126 kilojoules and a Coke Zero 26 kilojoules.  Just lying on your bed costs more kilojoules per minute than that.

How did you feel or measure the difference? 

Don't use terms like "roll better" - all wheels roll well. Square wheels roll not so good and triangular wheels a little better since they have one bump per revolution less.

See my point? This wheel weight nonsense is nonsense. Stop it.

Johan Bornman2008-10-16 01:57:44

What about different rim weights? Doesn't the outer centrifugal weight (correct term? Ouch) influence the necessary performance of the rider?

i.e. a much heavier rim more difficult to get going but once it's rolling it rolls nicely on the flats, even better on the downhills but badly on the uphills??

Can you pls put my words into sentences with scientific proof?

What about different rim weights? Doesn't the outer centrifugal weight (correct term? Ouch) influence the necessary performance of the rider?

i.e. a much heavier rim more difficult to get going but once it's rolling it rolls nicely on the flats' date=' even better on the downhills but badly on the uphills??

Can you pls put my words into sentences with scientific proof?

[/quote']

At the kind of accelerations a car or motor bike are capable of, yes but not at even at the best track sprinters acceleration.

Rotating weight increases at the square of the speed. Thats why saving weight on a rim has more influence on wheel performance even if the hub is heavier. Also why lighter tyres and tubes can have a big impact on performance.

Rotating weight increases at the square of the speed.

Citation or equation please.

As I recall my rusty physics for bodies moving in a straight line:

F = ma (F = force, m = mass, a = acceleration)

but for a rotating disc:

t

= Fr = Mar = Mr2a = Ia

where I = Mr2 is the moment of inertia and

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/4/0/3/403ab94a798c5c1c64af3e569e17b603.png