Grey imports

puzzler

I do not have time to read all 16 pages, but just who was this raid carried out by? SARS, SAPS OR a bicycle wholesaler?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed Jules, also think it would be hard ( and not worth it ) to fake Mavic wheels. Police would normally only be involved if it was suspected that something was amiss though. Otherwise it would be a civil matter. The SARS angle is also something that might make sense..

All supposition though, assume CWC know what they are doing..

I do not have time to read all 16 pages' date=' but just who was this raid carried out by? SARS, SAPS OR a bicycle wholesaler?[/quote']

According to CW Jnr, the wheels were confiscated/raid was conducted by the SAPS and a lawyer. Wheels without serial numbers were removed for 'safekeeping'. From his post, it would appear that the fact that they had no serial numbers was the motivation for them being 'removed'..

Sounds very suspicious, 1st post and get 17 pages. This puzzler sounds like some kind of stirrer or bull duster.

Come on David I know you better . If this was bull we would not even hav reached 5 pages ! I am afraid that the original post looks to be true and I think we must hold thumbs that it is all a misunderstanding .

I do not have time to read all 16 pages' date=' but just who was this raid carried out by? SARS, SAPS OR a bicycle wholesaler?[/quote']

According to CW Jnr, the wheels were confiscated/raid was conducted by the SAPS and a lawyer. Wheels without serial numbers were removed for 'safekeeping'. From his post, it would appear that the fact that they had no serial numbers was the motivation for them being 'removed'..

Thanks KDEE.Still sounds suspicious to me?

By CWC's own admission his shop was raided.

Nevertheless its fairly certain that the thread (and probably the raid) was instigated by the Mavic importer.

Let's just hope he or she stays on the hub and helps owners of "legitimate" Mavic problems sort out their after-sales issues, which seem to crop up here quite often.

Isn't it funny how certain bicycle distributors seem to struggle with grey importers more than others? For example, you don't find many importers competing with Omnico, official distributor of a wide range of cycling goodies. I've got no connection to Omnico at all apart from riding a few of their products (I've got 3 GTs), but I've always found the prices of their products to be reasonable and their backup service good.

Could be that there was a SARS fiddle. Think it would be pretty hard to fake a Mavic wheelset' date=' but who knows?

[/quote']

Well. lets hope the FongKong mavics are compatible with the originals...

We need spares... LOL

so where can i find the serial number on my wheels with the red spoke, after reading 17 pages i thought i would find out. they dont look grey LOL they're red and black. Came in a nice bag. ????fake???grey

must be a red import then hot stuff...

Just as bad... Watch out for the fashion fuzz, they gonna knock on your door soon...

Two possibilities: Either this is about taxes/ unpaid duties

or

some intimidating lawyer instructed by his client managed to convince an inexperienced policeman that they are seizing counterfeit goods

If it is the second I would very much like to see the docket and the complainant's statement.  That might make good reading.

Retrorider2008-10-16 13:16:17

The point Bruce made was relevant 15 years ago. The world has (fortunately) moved on from there.

Manufacturers give small markets to distributors because its easier for them to deal with one person / company, these distributors do not PAY a fee for the rights to sell the product, its usually just done on the shake of a hand and a PROJECTED sales figure annually.

Many a manufacturer will give the distributor an annual "advertising" allowance, in other words will credit or supply stock free of charge to the distributor for his outlay in advertising - so this is not a cost to the distributor in many cases, not all, but many.

Stocking levels and costs are not an issue either, seldom will the parallel importer get the product cheaper than the official importer, so a distributors stock will probably cost less than a parallel importer, item for item - the reason parallel importers do well is because they are prepared to sell for less, thats all.

Sole distribution rights are going the way of the dinosaur, the internet, global sales, a travelling consumer and parallel importers (which is perfectly legal) have destroyed this market.

Look at the white goods industry, for every fridge, stove, DVD player, CD player etc sold from the official distributor at least one if not more are sold by parallel importers, its the same in dozens of markets, sporting goods, hardware, power tools, hand tools,electronic appliances, motor spares, complete motorbikes, ceramic tiles,bathroom appliances, computers, moniters, jewelery like watches, footwear, watercraft like jet skis, and on and on and on..........................wherever there is an imported market, there will be a parallel importer.

Why should cycling be differant??

Fact is, sole distribution in todays world is a myth, there will always be someone who is prepared to sell for less and there will always be a market for a cheaper product.

Counterfeit, well, thats not the same, and the police have a duty to act in those circumstances.

DR my problem with this is that this face less person comes along 1 post and buggers off. Thats what gets to me, hiding behind anonymity (spelling). Why not complete you profile and then start a emotive thread.

By CWC's own admission his shop was raided.

Nevertheless its fairly certain that the thread (and probably the raid) was instigated by the Mavic importer.

Let's just hope he or she stays on the hub and helps owners of "legitimate" Mavic problems sort out their after-sales issues' date=' which seem to crop up here quite often.

Isn't it funny how certain bicycle distributors seem to struggle with grey importers more than others? For example, you don't find many importers competing with Omnico, official distributor of a wide range of cycling goodies. I've got no connection to Omnico at all apart from riding a few of their products (I've got 3 GTs), but I've always found the prices of their products to be reasonable and their backup service good.

[/quote']

Well said Jules, thats how it should be.. In line with Bruce's post ( as regards the principle ), in a perfect world, the right to distribute a product exclusively to a region/country would be removed by the manufacturer because of poor back up/service..

Distributors that are alive to where the good And bad publicity is will generally always be supported. Tokenfreak, Kiwi and even the Raleigh guys, for example are well regarded because they try and answer questions/take responsibility where the good/bad publicity is happening...

Obviously just the hub as example.. Hell, even Coolheat keeps an eye on things here... Not always convinced of the replies from them, but at least Steven does read the threads where his products are dissed...