Another Cyclist dies

shammy_rash

Ironically, although Maas had nothing to do with this incident and the driver involved most propably did not even read the article nor does he know Deon Maas, I did wonder if we should contact him add just tell him to keep the score (I suppose I can also say this was "Satire" or whatever he said it was).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We passed this on our way to Rustenburg on Sat Morning. Very sad, my wife especially was very moved. Our deepest condolences to the family.

Dunno how fast the corsa was going that hit them, cause it had rolled across the road, and was on it's roof lying in the opposite side ditch next to the road.

This was not a good way to start our holiday. So sad.

Whilst "Archie" may not be directly responsible I don't think the title of this post is out of place at all.....bigots like Deon Maas & Gareth Cliff must see the results of their insensitive comments and this may lead to some tounges being places in neutral and brains in 1st gear. Ultimately we need an accountable journalistic medium.

My deepest condolences to the family.

Most of us are also motorist at times ... please refrain from diverting your attention from the road .. It so scary to see how many motorist are still on their cellphones whilst driving ....

bigots like Deon Maas & Gareth Cliff must see the results of their insensitive comments and this may lead to some tounges being places in neutral and brains in 1st gear. Ultimately we need an accountable journalistic medium.

Except that they don't subscribe to this forum so it is "falling on deaf ears" unless you bring it to their attention in manner which will at least have a chance of getting them to consider your point of view.

There will always be accidents, its not just cyclists either, I see a young boy fell off a moving boat over the weekend, cut his head open on the propellor and drowned, a boat overturned somewhere off east london and they are searching for the occupants, we have to accept this in life.

I feel very sorry for the family and we can only wonder at the distress and pain they are going through, but we need to see it for what it is - an accident - and to lay the blame on a newspaper article and author is really inappropriate.

and to lay the blame on a newspaper article and author is really inappropriate.

So it was okay for Deon Maas write the article?

AngryAngryAngry

Duathlete, yes, it was OK for Deon Maas to write the article.  Last week somebody posted a paraphrasing of Deon Maas's article.  The paraphrasing achieved a lightness of touch that the original article seemingly failed to achieve.  I say "seemingly" because I am not a native Afrikaans speaker, and any subtleties would have been lost on me.

As you may know, possibly uniquely for the continent, our country has a constitution that allows freedom of speech.  That's a good thing, but it does mean that from time to time EVERYBODY has to make the conscious deision to ignore or otherwise deal with other people saying things that they do not like.

None of which detracts from the tragedy that has occurred.  My condolences to the friends and family of the cyclist.

There will always be accidents' date=' its not just cyclists either, I see a young boy fell off a moving boat over the weekend, cut his head open on the propellor and drowned, a boat overturned somewhere off east london and they are searching for the occupants, we have to accept this in life.

I feel very sorry for the family and we can only wonder at the distress and pain they are going through, but we need to see it for what it is - an accident - and to lay the blame on a newspaper article and author is really inappropriate.

[/quote']

What if there had been signposts every 500m that stated things like:

"Please be aware of cyclists".

"This road is used by cyclist frequently. Please be alert"

"Cyclists using the emergency lane ahead"

etc. etc.

It's not quite the same as the teenager who fell off the boat.  Although avoidable, that was far more "freakish". The level of road deaths on South African roads is MASSIVE and that includes cyclists. It is possible to reduce the numbers all round.

I for one don't want to just accept this as normal until our level of road casualties start to come down to 1st world levels. Cycling is the most dangerous activity that most of us undertake and it could be much safer without the need to change any laws, create any new cycle paths - just improve awareness and tolerance.

I don't specifically blame Maas for this incident but I can tell you that he is definitely not helping to improve tolerance by coming out with the inflammatory crap that he did. Although the heading is inappropriate it was always going to happen - he stirred the coals under the pot.

BikeMonster, I just feel, as said in some of the previous posts, that Deon Maas need to be held responsible for what he wrote. I know we freedom of speech in our country but still we need to be careful what we say and do.

Duathlete, we need to be careful to avoid inciting actions by what is written.  Deon Maas's greatest crime, as far as I can see, is that he is a lousy writer who is criminally unfunny. 

There is absolutely no linkage between what he wrote and what subsequently occurred.  Accidents will always happen, and this is nothing more nor less than a tragic accident.

my deepest condolences to all family and friends.

we are all missing the other great tragedy here - the fscker is still alive and his passenger unhurt - i would have preferd it if the cosmic wheels had mained and crippled them both so that they would live unpleasant lives from this day forth. hopefully they will have nightmares for the rest of their lives.

bigots like Deon Maas & Gareth Cliff must see the results of their insensitive comments and this may lead to some tounges being places in neutral and brains in 1st gear. Ultimately we need an accountable journalistic medium.

Except that they don't subscribe to this forum so it is "falling on deaf ears" unless you bring it to their attention in manner which will at least have a chance of getting them to consider your point of view.

Fair call but we have to start somewhere if you do not have resources to publish in a national daily. I don't believe it to be falling on deaf ears as I personally have learnt something out of this. I had never heard of Deon Maas before and now I know him for the prick that he is and have communicated as such to all and sundry. Don't underestimate the power this forum can generate.... insofar as giving Maas a chance to consider my point of view .....I think he is too self absorbed to give a sh*t!!

Is his cell number still the same? I programmed my fax machine to call it every 30 minutes but not sure if he is still using the same number.

I'm stll p*ssed off that he could get away with calling us tw*ts!!