Stolen Bikes

Slave

I know a lot of guys are poking fun here but I have to agree.  The other day I went to drop off stuff with our domestic in diepsloot and there was a guy riding a Giant road bike.  Didn't get to see exactly what model but definately not a R500 game special and totally unsuited to the roads of diepsloot.  Without question would have been out of the guys league in terms of buying power at the "regular" price. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One ofthe reasons I am seriously debating keeping my peugeot going is the reduced chance of fighting off some crazed lunatic with a 9 mil or 38 trying to affirmatively shop my bike while out riding.

um, doesnt matter what you ride, bikes are probably the easiest for of transportation to 'smokkel'. you might find your Peugeot in high demand, so carry some pepper spray with you and ride in groups. it is SA afterall.

I admit there are many a person of colour taking advantage of the current situation but to paint us all with the same brush is a bit far fetched.

Funny reading some the the comments made here may I ask why can't people of colour also own something upmarket(Legally purchased) as well even if they live in the townships. Next thing we will hear about is Isaac on his new Cannondale in Munsieville's gravel roads or Cylenut's Security guys on their MTB's he worked hard for to ensure they have some transport. I wonder what expressions you guys have on your faces when you see Jackie for instance at races on his Madone does your mind wonder as well?

Mallo - this is not a colour issue - it is an economic one.  A guy living in a shanty town (yes he happens to be black but that is besides the point) is not going to be able to afford a R22000 bike is he?  But if a black guy comes to a cycling event with a nice bike I think nothing of it.  There is no clash between the bike he has and his economic situation.  I would similarly raise my eyebrows if I see a white guy wearing non-cycling clothing and looking a bit cash dry riding a nice bike. 

Nobody is painting anybody with any brushes.

Scooterza2008-11-04 01:54:23

Scooterza- Isaac's bike(Sponsored) costs close to 20k and he lives in a shack does that mean people should frown upon him.

mallo those are guys that are working hard for thier bikes and that you see at races (except cyclenuts security guards well not yet anyways)

the thing that the other guys are trying to say is that when you ride past diepsloot you see shacks and right next to it in the little afdakkie is a BMW Z3 or an audi A6

the point of my post is i can agree with what everyone has to say but when driving down corlet drive on a saturday afternoon on my way through to my grandmothers place i see a guy riding an ultegra equipped bike and some kkkkksriums rolling down the road while wearing his slops and his jean pant rolled to his knee it looks very suspicious because not only is he riding like he learnt how to ride yesterday but he also looks waaaaaaaaaaay too small for the bike!!!!!

Mallo - you aren't getting it.  Isaac would be:

• Riding his bike properly (not pottering along the side of the road)
  • Wearing cycling clothing including a helmet, cleats and cycling shorts
  • Riding along a road or at an event not dodging potholes in diepsloot. 

If you don't see that someone riding a R20000 bike that is doing the opposite of the above is worthy of at least suspicion, then let's just say that investigations 101 may not be your forte.

Kit or no kit, you can pretty easily spot someone who knows how to handle a twitchy R20k race bike. If a real roadie's riding his bike to the cafe in jeans and slops, he's not gonna be in the drops pushing the longest gear he can find (with his heels) and weaving all over the show...

Mallo - this is not a colour issue - it is an economic one.  A guy living in a shanty town (yes he happens to be black but that is besides the point) is not going to be able to afford a R22000 bike is he?  But if a black guy comes to a cycling event with a nice bike I think nothing of it.  There is no clash between the bike he has and his economic situation.  I would similarly raise my eyebrows if I see a white guy wearing non-cycling clothing and looking a bit cash dry riding a nice bike. 

Nobody is painting anybody with any brushes.

I regularly ride my bike down to the shop dressed in paint stained clothes with either Crocs on my feet or bear foot. Does that mean you gonna frown apon me aswell coz i dont look like a proper cyclist at that point????????

scooterza

are you also going to frown upon andrew mclean who rides into cycle lab on his volcan with orange crocs on his feet because he doesnt look like a cyclist at that point??????

bear foot.

OMG... I know what is supposed to give you hairy palms, but hairy feet? Are you just a hobbit?

Whatever guys.  If you don't see what I mean, I cannot help you.  I am not saying you jump out and beat the guy up.  I am saying that it seems suspicious.  That is all.  Suspicion does not mean guilty.  But I can see that some of you want to turn this into a racial issue and I won't go there because that is not what this is. 

Token Freak - do you live in Diepsloot?  Or some other economically depressed suburb?  You need the combination of factors to appear suspicious.  If you only have 1 of those factors, then on the suspicion sliding scale you are low down.  As you get more and more, so you seem more and more suspicious.

If Andrew McClean comes cycling in wearing crocs - crocs are R600 anyway - I am sure that he looks comfortable on his bike - the whole picture is ok because once again, suspicion is based on a number of factors and if he isn't wearing cleats that is not enough to raise serious suspicion. 

But yes, maybe if I saw you wearing your old stained painting clothes and you are in a low income area, you would then be slightly higher up the suspicion scale and I might wonder how you afford that bike but so what.  All I am saying is it is suspicious.  All those stolen bikes - they don't disappear into thin air.

Scooterza2008-11-04 02:38:09

bear foot.

OMG... I know what is supposed to give you hairy palms' date=' but hairy feet? Are you just a hobbit?

[/quote']

FOCUS ON THE POINT IM TRYING TO MAKE PLZWink

Wink

KAALVOET

I regularly ride my bike down to the shop dressed in paint stained clothes with either Crocs on my feet or bear foot. Does that mean you gonna frown apon me aswell coz i dont look like a proper cyclist at that point????????

Bare foot is fine. Crocs is not, and will get frowned upon.

I frown upon anyone who wears CROCS. You might not have stolen the bike you are on if you wear them, but you mosdef have very poor taste ;)

I frown upon anyone who wears CROCS. You might not have stolen the bike you are on if you wear them' date=' but you mosdef have very poor taste ;)

[/quote']

i bought crocs for my husky so he didnt have to chew my sisters ones smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif