Curious - Chain Stay Protectors

KDEE

Im mildly curious as to why so many bikes I see have what looks like a tyre tube wrapped around the chainstay and not a R30 BBB or similar chainstay protector? Cant be the price so am i missing something here...?

I have always used the BBB or similar protectors over the years and wonder now if I am missing out on some bike fashion secret Big%20smile

KDEE2008-11-04 09:55:22

it is just easier to replace if broken i got given a really nice trek one so when it breaks i will just go back to my old tube around stay method

it doesnt matter what you have, as long as it works. I wrapped at tube on cause i was in a rush, and its still on 5months down the line. As long as it protects your bike

Thought as much. Just assumed it would be easier to take the velcro one of when you wash the bike and not worry about the crud stuck under the tube...

Glad its not 'rebel' fashion thing thenBig%20smile

Im mildly curious as to why so many bikes I see have what looks like a tyre tube wrapped around the chainstay and not a R30 BBI or similar chainstay protector? Can be the price so am i missing something here...?

I have always used the BBi or similar protectors over the years and wonder now if I am missing out on some bike fashion secret Big%20smile

Grunge is so yesterday.

I use the BBB one on my SC ..perfect

It is ice cold cool. It shows you care for the environment, don't give a fig for fashion, won't allow bike companies a chance to dump their designer stuff onto your bike, it is way quieter than anything stick-on and it lasts forever.

BTW, dirt doesn't get in there and those in the know will never tie it with cable ties. They do it seamlessly, using nothing other than the tube's end.

I used to use a tube but then came across the PRO one for really cheap. It looks a tad better but that is about that. On my road bike I've got insulation tape. I build up a few layers and it still there after 6 years. I personally think it's the first place where you can see if someone looks after his/her equipment. It does not matter what you use, just cover it up.