Anti-Midnight shopping advice

JPW#

After losing two bikes (1 worth 25k) to midnight shoppers, I promised myself, next time, they will have to work hard for their money, no more free-bees.

So my advice is....10mm angle iron bolted to the wall with break -off heads, a 15mm cable and a padlock with a SSF class 2 rating or higher (bolt cutter/angle grinder proof)20081110_104117_10112008.jpg

carbon pedals costs lots $$$$$ so you have to take them off just - in-case hehe

JPW#2008-11-10 10:52:52

When the alarm goes of it takes the ADT guys 3 min to get to the door, thus they will have to be super-quick power tool handlers ))

JPW#2008-11-10 10:58:35

The guy who (twice) tried to steal my bakkie last year, broke my gearlock, all the locks and buggered the windows.  In the end I actually wished he'd stolen the thing because the damage caused by the lock being there (and a stupid thief!) caused me more grief than a stolen insurance claim would have cost me!

Maybe I should buy Rottweilers and tie them to the bikes at night )

JPW#2008-11-10 11:00:39

The guy who (twice) tried to steal my bakkie last year' date=' broke my gearlock, all the locks and buggered the windows.  In the end I actually wished he'd stolen the thing because the damage caused by the lock being there (and a stupid thief!) caused me more grief than a stolen insurance claim would have cost me![/quote']

I've got a 1.8l VW Fox, and apparently they are rather sought after by the affirmative action shoppers.

So I installed a cut out switch thats hidden in some arb place. It arms itself everytime the ignition is switched off. If you don`t press it, the sparkplugs don't have power. My car sleeps outside, and no hassles.

I know a girl with the same gadget, her car got stolen in front of her res in Stellenbosch one night, found it down the road the next morning when the thieves got tired of trying to jump start it.

Another variation of this theme is removing the distributor flywheel every night, bit of a hassle, but just as effective.

Oh, and installing a bright little red LED light inside also fakes a alarm, but that is only half a detterent for the smash-your-window-and-grab-whatever-you-can-and-RUN clan.

You need a decoy - buy a cheap Pick and Pay special (or a Raleigh) and keep it nearby, unchained. Worked for me - they tried to nick the dogdy Schwinn MTB, and left the roadbikes alone. (The fact that you can't get a bike out our back door because of the fridge prevented him from even taking the Schwinn)

You need a decoy - buy a cheap Pick and Pay special (or a Raleigh) and keep it nearby' date=' unchained. Worked for me - they tried to nick the dogdy Schwinn MTB, and left the roadbikes alone. (The fact that you can't get a bike out our back door because of the fridge prevented him from even taking the Schwinn)

[/quote']

hahahahahaaaLOL