Why is it better to do 1min intervals

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the mast in Tokai, not a ver technical climb but it is in the region of an hour. Do a couple of those and your ability to do long climbs is certainly gonna escalate.

You keep going uphill, eventually you hit a tar road follow that to the top (the mast). Getting there, go down the M3 til you hit the Tokai off ramp, turn right under the bridge and follow all the way to the circle, go over the circle just before you hit the massive house turn left until you see cars and park there. Best to go with someone who knows the area the first time, after that its quite easy.

Popeye, I'll be doing the Lighthouse to Lighthouse and Landy. Hope to see you there.

The Mast is one hell of a climb. You can also go and do Du Toitskloof. Same sort of time spend climbing, but way easier.

Bruce. My question only relates to training for the epic.

Long' date=' slower but plenty endurance.. No sprints etc.

I'm just of the opinion that its should be better to (say) ride Franshoek pass (+-7km's), at 90% ave instead of trying to di intervalls. Maybe in one bigger gear as well, just to build leg power?

[/quote']

The best indicator for performance in something like the Epic (and in most cycling in fact) is your functional threshold power (60 minute power).

The best improvements to this power are made by riding at sub-threshold (L4) and tempo levels (L3), because your get the most training improvements for the least training stress placed on your body.

Sub-threshold intervals are typically 2x20 or 3x20 minute intervals ridden at time trial pace.  Tempo riding is typically a minimum of 90 minutes ridden at brisk tempo - i.e. a pace at which requires concentration to maintain.

I am redundant Tongue

Bruce has it right IMO - for Epic you need to focus on endurance for obvious reasons but I would say as importantly, the ability to ride faster for long periods whci is determined by power at threshold - trained as Bruce says.

Doing the same climb over and over is boaring. That's why I do Bainskloof, Du Toitskloof, Franshoek, Chappies (nor really a climb), Suikerbossie, Kloofnek, Vissershok, Tiekiedraai, Helshoogte to change the view and type of climb. Only climb I'll train on, will be Tiekiedraai en Odendaal. Only about 1km up and down on both. Do one sitting and one standing.

I agree with Titus, I would like to do a long gravel climb. It just to get the mental state 100%. Did so many TAR climbs on my bike, its about time to do the off road hills till end of feb.

Buff..Can we talk to the 2 "brothers" and get the VW team outjies to go to Tokaai?

I agree with Titus' date=' I would like to do a long gravel climb. It just to get the mental state 100%. Did so many TAR climbs on my bike, its about time to do the off road hills till end of feb.

Buff..Can we talk to the 2 "brothers" and get the VW team outjies to go to Tokaai?[/quote']

From a purely training perspective - it does not matter what climbs or where, tar or off road, even flat road - what matters is the intensity and duration.

15 mins + at threshold level or around 85 - 90% MHR

Problem is climbing on the road and the mtb is different, things like positioning and the ability to stand whenever you want are all changed.

Bike Max..

Those 3 x 20min rides at brisk pace, will it be good to do that (lets say) Klapmuts to Wellington..with a 5min break at easy pace in between.

Maybe get to W'Ton and ride the pass easy

and when coming back do the 90min quite hard?

Does it matter in what gear, (big blade, med but high cadence etc)

I don't now anything about powertap training or these new words. Tell me the gear +-ratio 53x 13 etc.

thanks

Just finished with base, and now 3 league races in January, a bit soon. What now? Maybe use the races as intervals, hill climb training?

Pops, jy weet tog jy mors jou tyd met short intervals as jy train vir die Epic.  LSD is al wat jy nodig het en baie daarvan.  Solank jy net onthou dat die "S" niks met stadig te doen het nieWink.

Ek stem egter saam met die ouens wat s?, train on your MTB.  Ek het gedurende my vakansie bietjie met iemand anders se MTB met knobbies op die teer gery (OK geresies).  Result was, my roadbike ry nou weer soos 'n veer - awesome in elke opsig.  As jy op jou roadbike train vir die Epic, gaan jy baie suffer in daai funride...