Alberton _ JHB South Riders

Slave

well i went for my first group ride this past saturday with this group and it was awesome!!

was worried about my fitness and all the rules but it went ok. the group really helps you keep up the pace and the km's just seem to fly by.

the "stairs" was a challenge tho and i got left behind a bit, so need to work on my climbing fitness and leg strength.

hopefully can work up to leave with the first group, looks really serious tho and i heard they really hammer it and do a longer route. but gotta get the fitness up and learn a bit more bout the whole group etiquette and rules....

but otherwise i'm hooked.

does anyone know what the sunday ride is like, it it the same roues and groups etc...

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slave

• Cyclewizz

• Trubie

• Andyr249

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much the same dudes and angles. Same groups doing pretty much the same thing on Sundays as well Rick.

I haven't gone out with the group on Sunday yet, but I have seen 'em and it all looks pretty much the same. I tend to go out on my own Sundays, to do hills and distance.

Guest Agteros

A few questions:

1. This on tomorrow morning?

2. Are once-off slowish newcomers welcome?

3. Everybody meet at Xumbugs (race track)

4. Is there parking available?

you can park at the dischem centre accross my house in hennie alberts str.  it about 15 min frm the xumbux crossing.  does the guys ever end the secion on the mulbarton hill?

Had a great time on this route this morning.

Instead of driving to Panorama Centre & parking I went from Bedfordview thru jhb cbd and out on Kliprivier - took 50mins to get to the crossroads, 10-15mins more than driving, parking & getting sorted.

Went short with the 2nd group & spent a lot of time pulling - except for the sprint for the bridge.  There was a crash behind us in the bunch with a younger rider in Panda kit going down and a couple more taken out.  So the group up the steps (after a suitable pause to show concern) was down to 15-20 as lots of folk hung around at the scene of the crime.

Headed off to Alberton, then City Deep to get back to Bedfordview - great cycling on all these streets today - esp Jo'burg south.

Saw 2 other cyclists on Commissioner St - it's cool going thru there before anything is going on - no incidents & more to look at than the walled suburbs.

I love the rides in the south...when I started riding back in 1990 the 'Lido group ride'was the staple of any young rider!

This morning was rather good, big bunch too.

I love these write ups SlaveMan! Very funny...but you have to try some of the longer routes with the bunch as well!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the mad man on the 'papnat!'

Joe Low...have not seen you again dude? Please stick a pump in my front wheel the next time to say "HI!"

A few questions:

1. This on tomorrow morning?

2. Are once-off slowish newcomers welcome?

3. Everybody meet at Xumbugs (race track)

4. Is there parking available?

Agteros. The group ride takes place every Saturday and Sunday Morning. They leave the xumbug place around 7 am and usually do the short loop along Swartkoppies, Allewynspoort road (Eye of Africa), the steps and then back to wherever we left from.

Yes, newcomers are welcome. Some might complain (we have one lady who whinges about everything. If you can't keep up, someone will probably drop out and ride with you.

Yes, we meet at the Xumbug track corner Swartkoppies and Klipriver.

A lot of guys park at the Pick n Pay centre at Panorama and then ride down from there. Close by in Alberton is the Bracken City shopping centre and you can park there too as well as Dischem. Bracken City is closer though.

Had a great time on this route this morning.

Instead of driving to Panorama Centre & parking I went from Bedfordview thru jhb cbd and out on Kliprivier - took 50mins to get to the crossroads' date=' 10-15mins more than driving, parking & getting sorted.

Went short with the 2nd group & spent a lot of time pulling - except for the sprint for the bridge.  There was a crash behind us in the bunch with a younger rider in Panda kit going down and a couple more taken out.  So the group up the steps (after a suitable pause to show concern) was down to 15-20 as lots of folk hung around at the scene of the crime.

Headed off to Alberton, then City Deep to get back to Bedfordview - great cycling on all these streets today - esp Jo'burg south.

Saw 2 other cyclists on Commissioner St - it's cool going thru there before anything is going on - no incidents & more to look at than the walled suburbs.

[/quote']

Hey there Joe. The youngster in the Panda Kit is my stepson. He braked heavily to avoid colliding with the rider in front of himself and the chap behind him went down.

In my rather harsh opinion of the event, this is the risk of bunch riding. There is always this "concertina effect" more pronounced towards the back of the bunch so I try to ride closer to the front where this is less pronounced.

Please correct me if I am wrong but, I understand that it is the responsibility of the person riding behind to make sure there is an escape route and to concentrate on the person immediately in front. Unless the dude in front does something really stupid, it is the fault of the one behind if he / she goes down.

If Gary was wrong, then I would like to know about it becausee he feels really crap and is blaming himself for the accident and I'm not sure he was in the wrong. IF he was, then I need to have harsh words with him and make sure he never does it again.

It is regretable that the accident occured and I feel for those who got hurt, but, as I said, that is part of the risk.

Anyhooo, back to the ride. The bunch split up after that and I spent the whole time trying to chase down the lead pack. I waited on the bridge for the rest to catch up after failing to get closer than 100m from the rear ofthe bunch (Hey, my legs were tired, OK. This was my third go round on that route in as many days).

We waited on the bridge for quite a bit and then I decided to push on. Had the dubious distinction of being up front on the steps and as far as I know, only three people stayed with me up the steps. That was hard in that wind, but good for the legs which were somewhat tired and sore the rest of Sunday.

Was a great ride in the end and I end my year having achieved 2500km since 10 Aug, 3500 km overall since I started to keep my stats and an overall average of 31 km per ride this year, bearing in mind, I only started in Aug after a long lay-off. Yeah, I know, lazy huh?

I am resting for the rest of the week and will be there again on Saturday and Sunday to kick off the new year with two 60 km rides.

To all who read this drivel, have a great New-Year bash and be safe out there. Chat to y'all soon after New Year.

Well, new year is history now. Hope y'all had a happy one with not too many hangovers.

For me it was a first. Absolutely no alcohol. Not even a single whisky. I was too into the insane idea of the new years day had core ride organised by Thug, even though I promissed myself I would rest for the whole week. (As ek so kan lieg, dan kan ek steel ook.)

On Tuesday, before new years, we got insane and had an abortive attempt at SBR. Too hot and too windy. Ever had one of those rides where you have to work downhill? This was just such a ride.

Then on Friday, I was champing at the bit. The body felt rested and the mind itched for a ride. How could I deprive myself of the endorphins for so long? Got on the bike and the bunch arrived at xumbugs and we set off.

Along the allewynspoort road, the speed got pushed a bit and it was lekker. Mentioned this to one of my fellow riders (Gerhard, AKA Number 11 for his ability to ride all day on his 11 tooth cog and do it fast.) So, the loon says to me, "You wanna do it again?"

Yeah right on dude. I can hardly breathe but hey, "bring it ON". The two of us (with me wheelsucking and hanging on for dear life) drop the pack and kick it. Must've gone on for about 5 or 6 k's at that speed and no way the bunch were gonna catch us.

Seriously needing a rest and CPR at the bridge, the slave driver keeps me going and then wants to race me up the steps. Dude, I know I'm crazy but I'm not insane. I tried to hang onto the lead bunch up the steps and manage for a bit but eventually get dropped. That last hump gets me almost every time. The pack disappears and I look back. Loooong way ahead of the rest so what he heck, gotta go home and lick the wounds. Getting dropped is not too much fun, but I console myself that at least I try despite the body's constant reminder of my age.

Hey, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Saturday and I'm back like a rash that just wont quit. We ride again. I love the sound of the tyres on the road and drivetrains that are well oiled. Number 11 wants to know if I'm scratching with the turkeys today or flying with the eagles. I can hardly walk from yesterdays efforts but hey I'm back aint I.

"Nah, I'll just turkey today. Need a rest" I tell him. The ride turns out to be good. Nice and relaxing. No histrionics or heroics. Secretly, I'm disappointed and feel betrayed by and aging body, but I guess that's life.

Sunday, I gab hold of one of the other riders who I have cycled with before (just the two of us) and we decide to do the long loop. Past Walkerville, Boscos and the circus farm. We left before everyone else and I think both of us are relieved. He had a fall several weeks ago on a Sunday and last Sunday saw another prang where two riders went down.

I think the pack is too big on Sundays and this is resulting in so many falls. Maybe it needs to be broken up into smaller units. I am still trying to learn the skills of pack riding but for now, I want to remain a "virgin". One of those who still fit into the category of 'riders who have yet to fall'.

Several other riders pass us along the route and I still have this thing about chasing. Since taking up riding the bunch on Saturdays, and learnig stuff from all the loons in this forum, I have a thing about being passed. I always try to chase down anyone who passes me, even if I just hang onto their wheel for a bit. Unless of course you are inaj and his gang of renegades passing me at high speed up the steps and I'm just to blown to care after a long tiring ride.

But be warned, I am getting stronger (slowly) and faster (even more slowly) and one day is one day, I wil chase with all I have got. Just like the one group of three who passed me somewhere close to Bosco's. I hung onto his wheel for a bit and even jibed him about battling up one of those hills. If my riding mate was bit fitter and stronger, I would have hung on longer.

Man, I live for weekends and cycling.

Slave the Lido routes are nice but in all honesty they are not routes to get you really strong. It is easy to do 40km/h in a bunch but not so easy to ride 30km/h by yourself. The routes are firstly not long enough and secondly don't have any majorly challenging hills and the lot you see fall off the back on the steps are well below average riders. As you can see I am not a big advocate of bunch training although it is necessary but should be the exception rather than the rule. 

Rather put aside one weekend day and head out to Suikerbos and do the work there. (Saturday Suikerbos, Sunday Lido Ride) You will find in no time that the little steps are just minor bumps that need to be negotiated.

By the sounds of your write ups you are really working hard to stay with the front riders and although this is good it is also bad. I know the carrot on the stick syndrome is hard to control but nobody is going to remember that you came first on a training ride. You will find by riding within yourself that you will build core strength a lot quicker. Remember that fitness does not only come from excerise but from rest aswell. To get stronger go to the places where nobody else trains. They don't train there for the reason that it is hard.

Butchers is a nice hill but it is only 1 hill so you need to go where there are many hills. I can guarantee you that a 20km/h average at Suikerbos is far better than a 35km/h average on the steps.

Anyways I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your new found friends on the Lido routes and that you are enthusiastic about your cycling but if you want to show them a clean pair of heels head out to the infamous Sugar Bush. 

Hey Muxman.

I usually only spend one day a weekend with the pack. I'm a bit older than most and a smoker to boot. I consider myself very much an average rider and while I have been cycling for a long time, I have had more time off the bike than on it.

On boxing day, I rode the lido route all by myself in a slightly higher average than with the bunch which pleased me no end.

I spend most of my week training by myself and do some really interesting routes. My standard route in the week is from Mayberry Park, along Swarkoppies to Michelle. I try to kick it up the little hill past the wealth and faggot (the gym) and then head up Bellairs, onto Klipriver, right to Rand Water and home via Impala and Swartkoppies. That gives me about 34 km.

On the weekendsI tend to head out in the opposite direction, down the steps, along the allewynspoort road and then head up the lido hill. Then I do Rifle range all the way to Rosettenville, down camaro and up michelle before heading home. About 61 km route. Sometimes, I go through Glenvista and others up butchers and then do Columbine to add a few more hills.

The way I see it is is if I'm by myself, I tend to "cruise". In a bunch, get all befork and try to race everyone around me.

So, I try to balance good long rides with hills at a slower pace with a bit of chase the pack on Saturdays. (My rest ride for the week because it is in essence a very easy ride.) I do try to pull the pack along as well so that I am actually doing some work at the front as opposed to wheelsucking all the time. This just depends on how I feel and how "heavy" the week has been.

Although I have been riding for many years (more off than on), this bunch thing is very new to me. I am trying to learn new tricks and certainly trying to gain knowledge and insight by being a regular on this forum.

I value the opinions of others and I take your post as something to learn from rather than criticism. 

Riding in a bunch is very much easier than riding alone, but even so, I only usually do it once a week. LAst week was an exception when I rode with them on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, Pierre and I hit the long loop to get better distance and work on Stamina.

I kinda like it that way.

Two things  I have learned. One, the bunch rides tought me to rather kick it up a hill than just grind away.

The forum has tought me to use "granny gears" and spin rather than grind it uphill in heavy gears.

Life is a university and we should try to learn from everything. That said, thanks for your comments. I do love the bunch rides, but have preference for longer rides by myself or with one, maybe two riding buddies.

Seems we are on the very same page. If you would like drop me a PM with your details and I will give you a call when we go to Sugar Bush. You are welcome to join. Training is starting for Panarama so we will be there often :)

Butchers is a nice hill but it is only 1 hill so you need to go where there are many hills. I can guarantee you that a 20km/h average at Suikerbos is far better than a 35km/h average on the steps.

hey leave me outta this....

Ok my opinion on all this Muxman is right sugarbush is a great ride, the Lido route i think is way to dangerous...i do a ride out from my place go around Kyalami and back gives me about 90k's, or from my place to centurion or up to the monument, not so many flats, and you get home and you know you have had a workout.

JL you should join next time i do one of these route, this sunday i'm going out to petit, not very challenging, unless there's a breeze.

Mux, one of the problems of living on the flats (Alberton is really quite flat.) is the lack of hills to do hill training. However, Glenvista, Mondeor and those areas have some pretty tough hills.

Given that the steps are just over 7km from the stop street at the bottom, to the bridge, it is still a fair hill climb and that it comes at you after a fast flat section, it still has some value for hill training. Not great value, but at least some value. After the longer loop past Boscos, the steps becomes a little more challenging.

When I lived in Mondeor, there were hills on any route I chose to ride. And I attribute my first 94.7 time to the fact that living in the area definitely gave me a climing advantage over many other cyclists. Problem was my lack of riding skill counted against me.

1hill, Klipriver, from where it starts to climb just south of Panarama to the Rifle Range Bridge is 5.2 k'sand the value of the hill is that it gets progressively steeper. I usually turn off at Columbine and then go along that route for some up and down ending in a rather long climb up to Southgate.

The Lido Hill, from the bottom to Eagles nest is 4.2 k's and it also gets progressively steeper.

I went out yesterday arvie and hit Lido hill up to Southgate, then down Columbine, along klipriver and home. Got into the storm that lashed Alberton and was totally drenched by the time I got to Rietvlei. The rain was so bad that my Cateye stopped registering speed and distance.

Before I hit the Lido hill, my average was 33. It dropped faster than the JSE on a bad bear day and was a mere 26.2 by the time I finished Columbine. It's been a while since I did Columbine that way around and I forgot just how tough it can be even though the hills are not that long.

Having done a short stretch of SBR, I must admit, I like the absence of any traffic and the peace and quiet is very appealing. Being the tree huger that I am though, I tend to want to focus on the animals rather than riding the bike.

I will send you my details and make a plan to join you sometime for a spin at SBR, but before I do, I want to do some more hill work. Remember, I am also only an average rider so my exploits at "racing" in the bunch once a week, are pretty much my own measurement of my weeks training against the rest of the average riders.

S2L....one morning if you can come join me when I do hill training.....I'll show you where some real hills are smiley2.gif

Yip, our problem is that you can't do 100kms of hills... but overall it's good.

WW. Walkerville hill is nothing compared to Lido hill and Buthcers. Been there done that. I know there are some very mean and nasty things hiding in Glenvista and there are some I know of that even I won't go anywhere near. They just too scary in a car, let alone on a pushbike.

Tell you what I think would be a great training hill is the N12 from Voortrekker to Camaro. That's some nasty climb and would be great for hill training. Pity about the cars though.

The hill up to the "Silver Ball" water tower is also pretty mean specially after climbing Voortrekker.

Think one day soon, I am going to go up butchers, along Columbine, Down the Lido hill and then hang a "U" at the bottom, go back up again and then do Columbine the other way. Then go up Rifle Range past the water tower, through Linmeyer and down into Alberton.

If that doesn't smiley11.gif me, nothin will.