Alberton _ JHB South Riders

Slave

Think one day soon' date=' I am going to go up butchers, along Columbine, Down the Lido hill and then hang a "U" at the bottom, go back up again and then do Columbine the other way. Then go up Rifle Range past the water tower, through Linmeyer and down into Alberton.
[/quote']

We used to do a similar "loop"... only we started from Nigel...

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slave

• Cyclewizz

• Trubie

• Andyr249

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion if you really want hill training go to Graskop....it's the best views and the best training....

My favourite of all training places!!

I'd be a bit too tired by the time I got there WW. It's a helluva ride to get there. smiley36.gif

I think a ride from Sabie to Lydenburg over the Longtom pass would also be pretty good hill training. But then again, I would be too tired after the ride to get there.

S2L nice thread!

I am busy compiling a website with all the rides that we know of and have done in South Africa. the Website is still under construction but in a few weeks hopefully it will be ready for the public.

We do a hilly route once a week in Glenvista and we find it challenging enough to use for Jock training in winter.  to check it out visit http://www.vr-cycling.com/uploads/2008-12-04,%20Road,%20Prof%20van%20Niekerk.html The route is named after the guy that found it.

The route does go up Camaro as the first climb but if you do it early enough there are very few cars.

Hey, cool writeup.

WW, the road the guys use for the Jock Hill climb in Barberton has now been tarred all the way to the border (ok 99% complete) through Saddleback Pass. I drove this route last week and its one of the most scenic routes i've ever been on with pleeennntttyyy (hauls) hills, +/- 45k's one way. I only passed 3 cars (bakkies) on that route, no traffic. If you have a passport you can visit Pig's Peak hotel only 19K's from the border post, although I think that part is still sand road.

I'm seeing more and more smaller groups cyclists in the mornings during the week days in and around the Alberton area, I think the trend is to focus on the surrounding hills and then meet for the huge group rides on the weekends. I prefer the Basko/circus route myself but it also seems to be getting big.

Hey WW.

where is that perfect hil in bassonia to train on?

i stay in bassonia and am just a biginner but wantto strt doing some proper training and need some hill training badly!!!

Spaso, I stay on Comaro...head up Comaro from the bottom(retirement village side) and turn right at the main robots at the Crossing shopping centre. Head straight up that road...its pretty hectic and you will have to stop at the top as there is no where to go.  But, if you want to make it even worse, make friends with someone in Bassonia Estate which is right at the top of the climb I just told you about. Go in there, and go straight through the traffic circle...that bricked climb is hard, and it goes up and up and up for a very long way!!

Enlightenment can be found at the summit...or so I am told!

Thanks speedy and Droodt.

Hey there Rick.

I am doing a route up Butchers, along Columbine, Down the Lido hill, U turn at the bottom and then back up again the other way on Sunday arvie. So far there are about three of us and you're welcome to join in. There are some serious hills on that route. I plan to get one or two other takes as well. Don't really wanna get to many because of the traffic riks at the time of day. Can't ride any earlier Sunday as I have other commitments.

S2L I must commend your generosity towards the beginners in the sport well done and I enjoyed reading your report back article's they are quiet insightful.

I use to give the Wed night beginners classes at VA in Centurion and enjoyed it.

Well thanx again it was quiet joyful reading all of your input to this forum.

I have to love and leave you now I have a spinning classes waiting for me to present today at 17h30 (All Terrain) and tomorrow morning at 05h00 (Fat Burn).

WW keep it up.
Wrighte2009-01-08 08:23:01

Thanks Wrighte.

I see it more as a sharing thing. I get to find some riding matesand we all learn from each other. I am also a begineer from a group ride perspective and I'm learning just as much if not more from this forum and the group.

It is selfish to keep knowledge to oneself specially if that knowledge was gained from someone else.

I think knowledge and experience is something to share.

I love these write ups SlaveMan! Very funny...

Thanks o wise one.

but you have to try some of the longer routes with the bunch as well!

That like an invite / challenge?  Let me know when a where you leave from. I am always up for it.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the mad man on the 'papnat!'

Right on. Just lemme know when and I'll be there. I just don't ride early in the AM during the week. Prefer the solitude of heat conditioning after my days work in the late arvie, but I'd love to meet ya. How 'bout a long group long route dis-ting dis weekend.

'K so as per instruction from the Mux, I spent some quality me-time this weekend. Just a solo flight  / ride up Butchers, along Comlumbine, down the Lido hill, "U" turn at the bottom and back up again. Back along Columbine and down Butchers, home.

Gave me about 55km. It was a really great ride from about mid day yesterday. The weather was great ('cept for a bit of a headwind up Butchers and the Lido hill) Instead of focussing on speed, I just went at it for the idea of climbing more than one hill.

The weather on Saturday morning was grim so I left way after the bunch and decided to do a solo then as well. Only did 34 k's but it was more of a rest ride than anything else. It was raining when I woke up and I didn't bother to go looking for the bunch. Just decided to wait for the weather to improve which thankfuly, it did.  

LAst week, I really struggled with fatigue and that feeling of being flat on Wed and Thur. (Did a loop from home, along swartkoppies, up the lido hill and through Mondeor, down butchers and home on Mon and Wed and just a quick 20 k on Thur.) I though on Thur that I was really battling and even going uphill in my granny gears seemd like a mission.

When I logged my ride on the PC, I was pleasantly surprised to see I shave close to 2 minutes of my previous time. (It's been a while since I did the 20 k loop from home.)

Anyhoo, I tend to agree with what Mux said. The group ride on Saturday has kinda distracted me from the real purpose ofriding a bike. I have lost the focus of doing hill work and getting stronger legs, so I have tended to go for longer flat rides (as fast as possible) rhather than focus on hills.

Don't get me wrong, I have learned stuff from the group rides and still love it. I just need to remember the rest of the training and keep doing my hill work in the week.

Also, on Sundays, I'm going back to my solo training and will still try to do at least 3 group rides a month on a Sat morning. I'm  just gonna try and not be so lazy and work harder during the week.

This past week has been a bit hectic.

Did my solo hillclimb on Sunday. 55 k's of up butchers, along Columbine ave, down the Lido hill, hang a "u" and then back up, along Columbine again and home.

It was a great ride. Some good hills and I guess somewhere along the line, will help with my hill climbing skills.

On Wed, teeny and I got joined by the chap who baught his 910 year Old Peugeot (Yip, even older than mine.) and his buddy. We decided to do Michelle ave, Bellairs and the Rand Water hill, so we all met at 5pm and set off. Before long we had one of our 4some puncure and discovered as we were about to set off that there were in fact two punctures.

Got going againand with one of our groupbattling upthe hills, our progress was slow going and consisted of mad dashes up the hills and then waiting to regroup. 'nother 55k route that actually got extended when I told our new-found friends that we were going to do the allewaynspoort loop after we had done the hills and then end with a nice gentle race up the steps.

Damn good ride in the end and although we had a few more punctures, and things kind got slow waitng for the slowpokesto climb the hills, the biggest problem was that the ride hurt my ears more than anything else.

(SO (Signiificant Other) bit my head off and gave me earache about getting home after dark.)

Needless to say thurs consited of bike maint and puncrure repairs. While we were busy, I chatted to the chaps about "O wise one's" (Greyowl) proposed weekend ride. Damn, they sounded so keen.

Plot was to meet the usual suspects at the usual Xumbug spot and do the Swarkoppies to paper mill route with them. Then we branched off and went on the Fast one route to Henley, before heading on home.

Greyowl's riding mate was a bit unfit so they turned around just a bit before Sugarbush and we pressed on.

Eventually managed to find our way through Henley (yeah, we got lost in a dinky little "plek" like that. Embarrassing to say the least.) and headed for home.I was so popped by the timewe got to the steps that one of our party had to ride in front of me to help me up the steps.

Eventually ended with 102 k's for the day. No ear ache this time though, just a severe pain in the butt and the neck. (had to have the bloody seat surgically removed from my posterior and for some reason, my neck was like reallly cramping from the constant riding position.

Officially, the furthest I have ever been on a bike.

During the bunch ride part, Greyowl displayed some of his infinte wisdom and cycling skill by coming past the bunch at fair speed. Seeing as though, I see such beehaviour as a challenge to my oversized ego, I had littlechoice but to try and hang in at that speed.

Bliksem, this boytjie can ride that bike. Dropped me off his wheels and left me like I was window shopping.

Dues, you gotta help me get faster on the flats and the hills. There is some reputation at stake here. Can't have a six-time SA champ (Grey-owl) beat the pants off the great pretender (Slave).

Eish, Fiasm, Greyowl left me so far behind it was difficult to find the time to aks him.

Maybe I miss-heard but he is damn good on a bike and I wouldn't know what categories there are. Hopefully, I haven't ambarrassed him and he can tell ya.

All I know is I gotta get this old body whipped into shape (wait, round is a shape!) and get a bit faster.

Seriously, I care not what category / ies. Had a good ride and he was good company before he did his "u" turn bit. I look forward to riding with him again.