Alberton _ JHB South Riders

Slave

I want to know the following: Currently I do 66 k's alone on a Sunday morning ok so will there be a group who go out to around 66 to 70k's?

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slave

• Cyclewizz

• Trubie

• Andyr249

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know the following: Currently I do 66 k's alone on a Sunday morning ok so will there be a group who go out to around 66 to 70k's?

The route over Walkerville Hill might get you to 60ish, but from past experience the group can be a bit competitive.

Your window of 4kms (66-70) looks a bit demanding for a free ride in bunch - made me smile. If it gets to 71kms, maybe you can stop and phone home and someone will come and pick you up?

thanks guys - will give it a try soon...

by the way, where do you guys park - ride from ? we usually park at the Panorama Pick n Pay and ride from there...

Yup, thats where most people park as well. The Mugg and Bean there is packed with cyclists on Sunday after the ride. I haven't done a ride there for a long while now either but I doubt its changed much.

The route over Walkerville Hill might get you to 60ish, but from past experience the group can be a bit competitive.

Your window of 4kms (66-70) looks a bit demanding for a free ride in bunch - made me smile. If it gets to 71kms, maybe you can stop and phone home and someone will come and pick you up?

Hmm, a bit...........!!! :eek:

.........especially if I saw any of the Beneke's there I would suddenly experience a slow puncture and have to ride the short route. :D

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Ok so basically you are saying that there are two routes, the 40 which is to short for me and possibly to slow and the longer one over 71, which I'm quite capable of, might be to fast because of well known names. I do not ride the back road (from lido to vereeniging freeway past eye of africa as i was almost knocked over. The other one over walkerville hill is outright dangerous as people ride like maniacs there. Thanks for the info.

Ok so basically you are saying that there are two routes, the 40 which is to short for me and possibly to slow and the longer one over 71, which I'm quite capable of, might be to fast because of well known names. I do not ride the back road (from lido to vereeniging freeway past eye of africa as i was almost knocked over. The other one over walkerville hill is outright dangerous as people ride like maniacs there. Thanks for the info.

Just asking how much of your 66 kms is on safe roads ? The 40 km is usually marshalled on a Sat morning . On the back route, but much safer with motorcyclists.

The ride isn't always slow. Often we at the back are not wheel suckers but "clingons". And if the guys want to show what they're made of up the steps you're in for a good workout .

If it's too short you add a few kms to the ride before or after. Give it a go.

Long rides not that bad either . Over Walkerville with new tar actually nice. Lot of explaining but you're not on the main road all the time. Routes not fixed . Sometimes you turn in Meyerton. Often Henley or Daleside. Or all of them.

As summer approaches the groups grow and there are slower guys in the long groups as well

Also some guys do part of the short route and then go long after you cross the R59 near the Klipriver.

Suikerbosrand may be your other option.

Edited by Blokman

Hmm, a bit...........!!! :eek:

.........especially if I saw any of the Beneke's there I would suddenly experience a slow puncture and have to ride the short route. :D

One sat morning a mate of mine rode, could not understand why the pace was incredibly fast , turned out Robbie Hunter and a few other elites were riding.

Road markings on kliprivier and swartkoppies are non existent.

They've been busy painting new lines over the past 2 weeks...

They've been busy painting new lines over the past 2 weeks...

Oh great. Haven't been there in 3 weeks. Thanks for info

One sat morning a mate of mine rode, could not understand why the pace was incredibly fast , turned out Robbie Hunter and a few other elites were riding.

Good times - only found out once i'd dragged my battered ego home and caught up with Water Bottle & maybe Delgado as to what had happened that we were dropped in the first 2kms.

Ok so i joined the group for the loop on sat morning and so happy i did. Near the end i swung away and did my normal last view k's down Swartkoppies up michelle and finally up Klipriver past rand water and into Glenvista at the top. I am happy because the faster pace meant that my ave speed for the same distance went up from 21 to 24 kph.When I got home i sure could tell cause i was tired.

Oh Yeah, seen Nick White and a few others often, even seen Daryl Impey in the group occasionally as well, but Gary Beneke is a regular so the pace is usually quite "warm".

I haven't been there for a long while though, possibly even close to a year, I think I have lost the urge to see the bunch disappearing over the hill anymore. :whistling:

Ok so i joined the group for the loop on sat morning and so happy i did. Near the end i swung away and did my normal last view k's down Swartkoppies up michelle and finally up Klipriver past rand water and into Glenvista at the top. I am happy because the faster pace meant that my ave speed for the same distance went up from 21 to 24 kph.When I got home i sure could tell cause i was tired.

The group on Sunday got back with just under a 35 avg , you may find it a little brisk if you just ride socially .

The group on Sunday got back with just under a 35 avg , you may find it a little brisk if you just ride socially .

Yeah, the guys that hang in that bunch from start to finish are mostly serious racers, I usually compare it to taking a 1300cc Mazda to a NASCAR race like Daytona, they gonna lap you before you hit the first corner. :lol: