headset play

spano

I had my raleigh rm8 built by the guys at FPC a few weeks back,, at the time I had it built I was still in a sling from my shoulder op, so I only took for it's first ride last weekend (coffee ride at the experienceEmbarrassed)

when I rode it I heard a weird sound at the front, and with my limited knowledge I assume that its play on the headset.

If I pull the front brake and move the bike a bit forward and backwards, you can feel some play..

Is there something I should check so that I could maybe fix it myself???

or should I rather just take it back to them?

(p.s I used the headset from my marathon 8 raleigh that I had)

you could just adjust it, before that tho chech the play isn't by the fork stantions,

to adjust the headset just loosen the stem bolts and turn the screw inwards on the top cap till the play is gone and the fork also turns smoothly

check the spacers on your steerer tube they should not move if they do then its your headset if its your fork stantions then only your front wheels will be moving slightly forward and back

hold your finger were the top half of your fork goes into the bottom half and do the same brake test then you could feel the movement if there is any, otherwise go with turtleks ideaSmile

ok I hate to sound stupid, but what exactly are my "fork stantions"

I checked, the skewer, it good,,

the spacers on the steerer are tight, they cant move up and down..

but there is still a slight backwards and forwards movement??

ok LB,, I did what you said, and if I did it correctly it feels fine...

it kinda feels like the play is on the botton part of my headset?

your headset could be tightened up or maybe you should take it in to your lbs if tightening it doesnt work, maybe the bearing is shot or the wrong size, getting it set is very easy

ok thanks I think I'll take in in and let them have a look at it..

you had me worried there for a moment when you started talking about the fork stentions and stuff...Stern%20Smile  Wink

dont worry bout that really, my reba and my dads fox both have abit of play on the fork and they are working perfectly

Also check your front disc, that its tight, happened to me once I thought it was my headset and it ended up being the disc that wasn't tight, they vibrate loose sometimes after hours in the saddle.

dont worry bout that really' date=' my reba and my dads fox both have abit of play on the fork and they are working perfectly[/quote']

You forgot to say that you and ur dad are a pair of lose cannons roaming the trials ! A loose HS will eventually damage your frame to such an extend that you will have to dump it , but the same goes for one that is to tight ! smiley36.gif

dont worry bout that really' date=' my reba and my dads fox both have abit of play on the fork and they are working perfectly[/quote']

You forgot to say that you and ur dad are a pair of lose cannons roaming the trials ! A loose HS will eventually damage your frame to such an extend that you will have to dump it , but the same goes for one that is to tight ! smiley36.gif

Howzit DR, I think LB meant that they have play in the fork itself not on the headset.

I agree that any play in the headset should be sorted asap before it damages something, in fact in any bearing.

it was good thanks keith! the first one after my operation and I only did 1.5 of the three rides,, could feel the shoulder wasnt ready for the mtb yet..

but I'm starting again on the road today!!!!