the choice is confusing

garykid

Hi there

I recently unwillingly donated my trek fuel 90 with full xt and dtswiss disc rims and hydraulic hayes set up to the local development cycling fraternity, hopefully soon to be aprehended and convicted, never to enjoy the benefits of owning my pride and joy, but I digress.......i need a new bike! mine was stolen! pretty much sums it up.

I am looking for a lightweight, full sus, (soft tail) mtb to play around on in the awesome single track around me as well as to carry my 90kg body 100km in any direction from the crater cruise to the karoo to coast and hopefully the 2008 cape epic!

I am hooked on full sus and love hydraulic discs, and have insurance money to spend........

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

gary

Hmmm not sure if the replacement cost of a Fuel 90 would cover the cost of any of the bikes mentioned above.

That being said, the Santa Cruz Superlite would fit your lightweight parameter, and I have only ever heard good things about them.

From the more commercial side, have a look at the Scott Carbon FS bikes - their "Scale" Hardtail carbon frame weighs in under 1kg - and was ridden to a (South African) victory in the Caoe Epic last year (Kevn Evans rode it if I'm not too mistaken), so I would imagine their FS frames wold follow the same lightweight (and robust) trend.

I now a guy who broke a Scale about two weeks ago at WP XC provincials, in a rather unspectacular crash. Other bikes would have maybe suffered a bit of paint damage - he ended up cracking seat and chain stays.

My opinion concerning carbon for MTBing - if you are given the frame - great, but if you have to pay for it, rather have a look at something else - it is going to break.

Mmm, only fare to Add Raleigh RDS 9.0, it looks good in Black and has the sweet components...but a bit pricey but you get your moneys worth me thinks.

Just check out www.specialized.com

1st Dream Choice (S works Epic Carbon)

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2006/bikes/06SWorksEpicCarbon_d.jpg

2nd Dream (Stump Jumper FSR carbon)

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2006/bikes/06SWorksSJFSRCarbon_d.jpg

1ST Realistic (Epic Marathon) non carbon

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2006/bikes/06EpicMarathon_Blk_d.jpg

I think I have said this many times before ..... Get a Raleigh or Santa ! Single Pivot rules - end of story . If you a weight weeny get XTR , if you want something that will last get XT . Velouria sounds like a man who knows what he talks about ! So if you wanna see what a cracked/snapped frame looks like - get a DS carbon bike and take it downhill ! Wait - not downhill , jump the pavemunt !

eks met swissvan....gaan vir die Epic S-works Carbon....flippen nice en ja bly weg van die scott scale.....ou by ons werk het laasweek sy vurk gebreek toe hy oor jump gaan

Titus Racer X
You've been spending to much time in Bowmans again haven't you!! smileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

Titus Racer X
You've been spending to much time in Bowmans again haven't you!! smileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

I was unfortunate enough to have Shane "Insist" I borrow his bike for a few days...trouble is no anything else is not cutting it - it is a great bike.