Ride Safety

Evan Andreou

It is probably worth mentioning that a few weeks back, almost outside the bike park in front of Bryanston Laerskool a couple of clowns in a purple Citi Golf tried to force me to stop (by pulling across in front of me). I don't think they spotted Kurtis 10 or 20m ahead of me. I also think they realised the only way they where going to leave with my bike, was as a size 54 Fuji suppository. Angry

Pitty I was enjoying the ride and didn't see them coming, otherwise I would have kicked a dent into just about every panel on the passenger side of the car.

Anyway, this was at about 3 or 4 on a Sunday afternoon in Bryanston.  So be carefull.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride solo 99% of the time but only at what I think are safer venues e.g. Groenkloof, Rietvlei Dam, Northern Farm. During the week I avoid the boundary fences of Groenkloof even though it means that the ride is more boring. If it is quiet at Northern Farm then I do the same.

I don't ride alone by choice. It is not easy to find someone who is the same pace as me (super slow) but has the same training goals.

Paul's idea is worth a try. I'm very keen on finding a training partner.

I ride solo 99% of the time but only at what I think are safer venues e.g. Groenkloof' date=' Rietvlei Dam, Northern Farm. During the week I avoid the boundary fences of Groenkloof even though it means that the ride is more boring. If it is quiet at Northern Farm then I do the same.

I don't ride alone by choice. It is not easy to find someone who is the same pace as me (super slow) but has the same training goals.

Paul's idea is worth a try. I'm very keen on finding a training partner.

[/quote']

Mandibles... just pm-ed you. Lets try organise something. I occasionally ride with Markstockton - he is VERY patient with me.

Mandibles... just pm-ed you. Lets try organise something. I occasionally ride with Markstockton - he is VERY patient with me.

Talking about which, what are your riding plans for the weekend Di? I need to do +- 110km base riding, interested?

Hmmm.... 110km? One day or over 2 days? I need to get in a 3hour road ride (pref) on Sat. Anytime after 11 is cool for me. Sunday, riding with some old friends.

Hmmm.... 110km? One day or over 2 days? I need to get in a 3hour road ride (pref) on Sat. Anytime after 11 is cool for me. Sunday' date=' riding with some old friends. [/quote']

Over 2, but I need to go for a longer ride if it's road. I was hoping for a Surf and Turf all the way to Marks Park on Sunday?

Can do Sat after 11 for a nice 3hr + ride. Sunday I promised da friends I would ride with them - been about 6years since I have ridden with them.

Hey Wonder Woman, I'm with you there. When I do not like riding on my own... I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself but it is way too boring and lonely. I ride for fun. I know it might sound a bit male chauvinist but i do not even let my missus ride around the block alone... let alone do some serious distance training.

Where do you ride? I'm sure my lil lady could use a few more riding partners.

Hey Wonder Woman' date=' I'm with you there. When I do not like riding on my own... I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself but it is way too boring and lonely. I ride for fun. I know it might sound a bit male chauvinist but i do not even let my missus ride around the block alone... let alone do some serious distance training.

[/quote']

Why dont we do this....

Di - Douglasdale / Sandton (Live); Ride - Northern Farm; Spruit (if I have a ride partner); MTN Park; Anywhere - E or D group rider (as per club seeding)

Cool...its a start

Live in Jukskei Park.  Ride mostly Tues, Wed and Thurs from home.  Weekends we normally do Breedts/Hekpoort or Suikerbos on one of the days and a ride from home on the other.

Week rides are mostly MTB, meet 2 or 3 other guys and do different rides out towards Kyalami.  If you are keen to ever join us or me drop me a pm.  Always good to hookup with new people. 

If all else fails, remember the mace/ pepper spray

I know you guys had a thread a while ago about pepper spray, but I cant find it.

My wife occasionally cycles alone - what mace/pepper spray is easy to use and small to carry?

Not sure how efective it is for 2 reasons:

1. The real stuff is not sold legally. The commercial stuff I've seen isn't that potent. I'm not an expert, maybe someone can advise?

2. Like any weapon - if it's not in your hand, or close enough to be used instintively, more than likely it's too late.

I'm always worried that these things give a false sense of security.

Best defence is to be aware and run away.

As I said on the other posting about the attack on Mathilda: for all those who say "I only ride where I know it's safe", remember that it's only safe until that one day when it isn't... and no, it doesn't only happen to other people...

As I said on the other posting about the attack on Mathilda: for all those who say "I only ride where I know it's safe"' date=' remember that it's only safe until that one day when it isn't... and no, it doesn't only happen to other people...[/quote']

i get what you're saying, and maybe it would sound better saying that we avoid areas we think or know are unsafe.

Hey Wonder Woman' date=' I'm with you there. When I do not like riding on my own... I am big enough and ugly enough to look after myself but it is way too boring and lonely. I ride for fun. I know it might sound a bit male chauvinist but i do not even let my missus ride around the block alone... let alone do some serious distance training.

[/quote']

Why dont we do this....

Di - Douglasdale / Sandton (Live); Ride - Northern Farm; Spruit (if I have a ride partner); MTN Park; Anywhere - E or D group rider (as per club seeding)

Hey Di,  have you considered the Kyalami thing? 100% safe, Smooth road, NO cars, like minded people, completely and accurately repeatable rides, a great way to measure improvement as you don't have to slow for cars, taxis, taxis robots, taxis, poepals, taxi poepals, a killer hill and a lekker downhill. Dunno why my font has changed!?

TiBones2009-01-09 00:54:19

[/quote']

Why dont we do this....

Hey Di,  have you considered the Kyalami thing? 100% safe, Smooth road, NO cars, like minded people, completely and < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><> Accurately repeatable rides, a great way to measure improvement as you don't have to slow for cars, taxis, taxis robots, taxis, poepals, taxi poepals, a killer hill and a lekker downhill.

I have but the times I have made an effort to go out there it has been closed to cyclists. Will stick to IDT and bike park for the week. My major issue is weekends but I am sorting that out thanks to this topic.