Ride Safety

Evan Andreou

I must admit, i do ride by myself especially now as all my usual mates are quite a bit faster than meEmbarrassed

Funny how some guys say they love going out by themselves getting time to ponder and think.....I never find that. When I'm alone I'm staring down every person and motor car on the road....

Sad but true!!

Will never MTB alone unless it's in a safe area....I think you're more prone there as you're in the bush with no car or anyone around.

Wolfie...thanks for the thread and just making people realise the realityies again.

Keep safe everyone.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to avoid becoming a victim is not to look like one.

Some folks confuse being oblivious with being in 'the zone'.

Just look after yourselves, that's all I ask.

i ride alone 9 out 10 times' date=' and wolfie has seen me i'm pretty small, i got myself a small tazer these holidays, i'm going to mount it on my bike, if i need to i will use it, just hope it helps...

i can understand it must be a bit harsher with women...
[/quote']

Cool idea. Honestly, I enjoy riding alone most of the time. Think I slack a lot doing that but its a time to clear my head from the week and do something I enjoy. Often I think I do take risks and that I am stupid doing that but hey! I dont ride with money on me and I have a prepaid simcard and an old phone. I always leave a message on my normal phone saying I am out riding and that I am available on my ride phone. Those that have the number are the people who may get worried. The rest of the world can leave me alone. I dont often ride with my pepper spray - will take too long to grab if something happens.

Just look after yourselves' date=' that's all I ask.
[/quote']

What? You can train at the mall in Rosebank?

[/quote']

You can... round and round da block with all the dronkies watching

Can we not put something together on the hub.  A list of people and  riding locations and times they ride and who don't mind others joining them. 

I don't won't to post everytime I ride but I could state that I ride every Tues, Wed and Thurs (MTB and road) from the fourways area normally starting around 5:30 or 6am.  We may have to add some sort of contact details.  Then if myself or anyone else may not want to ride alone they can contact somebody and join them

Just a thought...use it don't use it

paul.hunter2009-01-08 05:31:15

[/quote']

You can... round and round da block with all the dronkies watching

Hah!  You wont even get round once before you disappear down a cowtrain sinkhole...

I almost always go out Solo on Road and MTB, enjoy the time to just think. MTB'ing definetly exposes you more to possible attacks, mainly due to the isolation factor. I must say I very rarely feel unsafe, but then again perhaps this part of the world is more peaceful.

My wife however loves MTB'ing, but only gets to do this when I am available to ride with her. Having young kids means someones got to baby sit for these occurences to occur. Attacks really make life difficult and unpleasant. I think if she had the freedom to cycle when and where she pleased she would drop me in a race. A real pitty.

Daxiet2009-01-08 05:48:57

Good post, not so much afraid of thugs as i am of metal monsters so i now do most of my weekday training spinning or indoor trainer, weekends i prefer MTB but do venture out on the road.

There was a cycle buddy website where you could post your details and find other riders similiar in strenghth and proximity to where you stay, dont know if it is still active.  

Something like that Cervelo, they also used to arrange group rides. scotty2009-01-08 06:17:13

Not everybody is big on joining clubs...no offence to club members but that is not for me.  I have friends I ride with but like this morning I had to ride alone and it would be good to hook up with other cyclists in the area riding alone.

Okay... so here is a girlie question.... what do I do when I need to train and none of my cycling friends are training on that day or at that time? IDT? Did that 3 days of the week and a 3hour ride on the IDT will not only put my dog to sleep but me aswell. Or do I not go out?

Sorry... coming across a little harsh but its a good question in my opinion. Embarrassed

try:

joining a club - morning rides of varying length, difficulty 365 days a year.

cycling at kyalami, open 4 days a week early evenings

spinning

MTB parks

track (?)

IDT

Tazers, mace etc are very unlikely to help a single person against a group (usually armed) of muggers.

Okay... so here is a girlie question.... what do I do when I need to train and none of my cycling friends are training on that day or at that time? IDT? Did that 3 days of the week and a 3hour ride on the IDT will not only put my dog to sleep but me aswell. Or do I not go out?

Sorry... coming across a little harsh but its a good question in my opinion. Embarrassed

try:
joining a club - morning rides of varying length' date=' difficulty 365 days a year.
cycling at kyalami, open 4 days a week early evenings
spinning
MTB parks
track (?)
IDT

Tazers, mace etc are very unlikely to help a single person against a group (usually armed) of muggers.

[/quote']

I am a club member but on weekends I cant ride in the mornings that often - once or twice a year only. Weekday rides are too late for me

Everytime I go to Kyalami its closed Angry

Spinning - go sometimes but not for when I need long ride time

MTB Park - same reason as above

Track - are you insane?????????

IDT - same as above - I will fall asleep if I ride for 3hrs indoor  (plus I think my dog may start peeing on the bike from boredom)

Basically, other than the constructive comments like inviting others to join those of us who have little other choice and to be careful, we will remain those solo gals and guys who you see out riding.  

Hey Nancy, where are you?? your view is always handy. BTW... you ride the spruit solo?? Darn!! You got kahunas!