CycleLab - Never Again.

Saffer

The missus and i popped into cyclelab yesterday morning to have some work done on her back wheel. I had never been in there before but it was on our way so we decided to give it a try. All i needed was a new Tube, and some tyre levers. We stood there like idiots for 25min, not a single sales person came over and asked to help. I then went and fetched the stock i needed and went to the till to pay and get out. Here i waited for anoter 10 minutes and still no assistance. I can say one thing for sure, I will not be going back there. I'd rather drive the extra 15km or so an go to my regular and get decent service and have it all done in less time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me i woulda but had the missus with me and she does not like my "IMPATIENCE" so i tried to stick it out... Epic fail none the less.

Why didn't you just go fetch what you needed straight away or did you really need someone to hold your hand? You knew what you wanted to get, so get it and get out. You would have saved 25 minutes and just waited 10...

there were a few ppl in uniform mulling around, every time max headed toward them they headed off to someone else, if all i needed was the spares i'd have just left but i needed some prices too... so i waited.

When I went up for the 94.7 I ventured into CycleLab Fourways. My mate swears by it, and had raved about if for ages to me.

It was reasonably busy, there seemed to be a lot of last-minute maintenance going on. 

I wasn't approached to see if I required assistance, but it didn't matter as I was happy to browse for myself.

Andrew was there, behind the counter, and many staff were about.

What did strike me as odd was the terrible lay-out of the store. maybe they'd just finished stocktake or something, but the store was a mess.

My LBS is far smaller than this CL, but his stock is laid out far better, and it's far easier to find what I want. The same goes for CL Dbn. That too is laid out far better.

In fairness though, it was the Saturday before the 94.7, so they'd probably had people rummaging through the store for a week.

My 2c worth.

Next time I'm up there I'll go in to see if my first impressions were wrong, and my mate is right.

You must have had a bad day, I have been in there a few times (4ways and Westlake in CT) and always received friendly service. I visit plenty of shops, AFAIK they are not better or worse than most.

Still no reason to post it on thehub if you ask me - you should have complained there and then!!

Why not? If he had the same experience at PnP or Checkers would you have said the same thing?

It doesn't help to defend a store's bad behaviour and poor service just because we are cyclists and have our favourite LBS. If someone gets k*k service at a shop then they should let us know about it.

A lot of Hubbers have been around the country. Cape Town, Durban, Jo'burg etc. So besides your own LBS, where have you seen the best bike shop, the one that's had the best stock, and service, and gone the extra mile?

For me it's definately Leigh's Cycle Center in Dbn.

Absolutely right.

Still no reason to post it on thehub if you ask me - you should have complained there and then!!

Why not? If he had the same experience at PnP or Checkers would you have said the same thing?

It doesn't help to defend a store's bad behaviour and poor service just because we are cyclists and have our favourite LBS. If someone gets k*k service at a shop then they should let us know about it.

I have been there on a dead quiet day and had bad service. But then I have been there on a hectic day and had amazing service. Suppose it depends on which staff members are there - the young fattie kid is slow and never helps.

Flemish Lion - he is sharing an experience and has the right to share bad service. It is his right. Last week we were talking about another LBS, this week this one.

Thanks Saffer for sharing.

4-sure. Best service and willing to go the extra mile, without a doubt Alex at Northcliff cycles. Those guys never say no when you need something done and always come up with a plan. And when something goes wrong (as is bound to happen), they are not shy to admit fault and do everything necessary to make it right.

I agree, walk up to the sales people and say: excuse me, maybe you can help me.....easy as that Wink

I've always just got the best service from CycleLab (Northgate) here.  For instance, I wanted a pair of ladies specific cycling shorts at the end of December, they didn't have my size and then they orderd me my size, not just that I got sms's to let me know when it will be there as well as a phone call when it actually arrived....Thumbs%20Up