PowerTap Pro+ joy!

After weeks of waiting I got my brand spanking new Powertap Pro+ yesterday!  What an absolute joy to set up, or rather not to set up because it works out of the box.   Saying that though, it took me hours to get the damn USB port to communicate with the PC because it is very full of crap (ports, contacts, startup sequence, etc.)

I also got the matching front hubs, but when I got the rear hub I saw it no longer has the carbon bits. WTF?! Apparently the Pro+ and Elite+ don't get the fancy bits for 2009.  Oh well, it still works fantastically and believe me, I tested it on a gritty, wet rack last night.  If it wasn't for the PT I would NOT have gone out last night and that, after all, is the only reason you have equipment right?  It's got to motivate you!

20090114_014750_aDSC00869.jpg

I matched it with Mavic Open Pro rims.  Not the lightest or prettiest, but damn fine rims that will last a long time!  Came in a whisker under 2kg's for the set.

20090114_015225_aDSC00867.jpg

It got wet and ugly out there, but the new track and great lighting helped a lot.  The track is 400m with lightly banked corners. Not Killarney, but the pain is still the same!

20090114_015848_aDSC00858.JPG

20090114_015904_aDSC00859.jpg

I still have the Polar power meter wires on the bike, but that will soon change.  Good riddance!  Now, for the rest of my new bike to arrive Big%20smile

20090114_020010_aDSC00853.jpg
Willehond2009-01-14 05:35:35

nice looking track...

LOL glad you liked something on the thread!  Yes, it's nice and smooth, but full of grit.  I'm still tasting it todayConfused

Let me guess you were the only one there? Looks really miserableTongue

Nice new toy though what wheels are you using or is it custom built?

nice looking track...

LOL glad you liked something on the thread!  Yes' date=' it's nice and smooth, but full of grit.  I'm still tasting it todayConfused
[/quote']

what did that lot cost you? and why no carbon bits... what is road cycling without carbon bits??

are these new ones Ant+ as standard?

carbon bits in the front hub?

Yip, Ant+ as standard!  I considered getting a Garmion 705 with it, but the deal already included the yellow Cyclops computer and at ?980 for both wheels and computer I had to take it!   All new PT's are Ant+ compatible.

Let me guess you were the only one there? Looks really miserableTongue

Nice new toy though what wheels are you using or is it custom built?

Me and about 12 other miserable souls made it onto the asphalt.  It is only open to two clubs and only one of my club members made it to the training and I was the only one who stuck it out til the end!

My bike has never been this dirty and the grit got into everything.  Good thing it's becoming my training bike soon.

Wheels were built up for my using Mavic Open Pro rims. Solid.

Willehond, you sort of complain about the Open Pro rims on that wheel, bemoaning that they aren't pretty but damn fine. Damn fine indeed they are. Whoever built the wheels for you chose the perfect rim for the job. You can't fit deep sectons to that large a hub with any success. The spokes will break far too soon.

The only difference I would have made is to build it 2X, not 3X, but let us know how durable that wheel is.

Willehond' date=' you sort of complain about the Open Pro rims on that wheel, bemoaning that they aren't pretty but damn fine. Damn fine indeed they are. Whoever built the wheels for you chose the perfect rim for the job. You can't fit deep sectons to that large a hub with any success. The spokes will break far too soon.

The only difference I would have made is to build it 2X, not 3X, but let us know how durable that wheel is.

[/quote'] The perfect rim for the job, was picked after consultation on the Hub of course!  I asked for them specifically and I hope to have many good miles on them.  They feel nice and stiffWinkLOL.  Sorry, couldn't resist that last bit...

I know about the 3X, but the mechanic was off sick and I think he forgot about it after the Christmas haze/disease wore off.  I had of course not noticed until you told me now...
Willehond2009-01-14 04:50:43

[

The only difference I would have made is to build it 2X' date= not 3X, but let us know how durable that wheel is.

?

?
[/quote] JB, how do you know he built them three times? Maybe he got it right first time smiley36.gif

now for the million dollar question - has the PT made you faster Wink
It made me get out of the front door and THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!  That reminds me, I have to explain to colonel that the PT just measures your power, it doesn't actually generate it!

What was also nice to see is that the PT records per second which makes my short effort figures look much better.  I struggled to get 700W recorded for 5 seconds on the Polar, but easily got 1000W on the PT, so maybe it does make you stronger!

nice looking track...

LOL glad you liked something on the thread!  Yes' date=' it's nice and smooth, but full of grit.  I'm still tasting it todayConfused
[/quote']

what did that lot cost you? and why no carbon bits... what is road cycling without carbon bits??

the freaking catalogue had the Pro+ with pics of carbon bits in.  Somewhere between printing the catalogue and reaching 2009 some bright spark at Cycleops decided to take them out of the Pro+.  Luckily the front hub still has some carbon!

Cost (atR13=1?):

PT Pro+ wheel? 855,00 R 11.115,00
Front wheel? 125,00 R 1.625,00
Total? 980,00 R 12.740,00

You can JUST about make out the carbon bit on the CycleOps front hub in this bad pic:

20090114_044243_untitled.jpg

It made me get out of the front door and THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!  That reminds me' date=' I have to explain to colonel that the PT just measures your power, it doesn't actually generate it!

What was also nice to see is that the PT records per second which makes my short effort figures look much better.  I struggled to get 700W recorded for 5 seconds on the Polar, but easily got 1000W on the PT, so maybe it does make you stronger!
[/quote']

I would imagine it has a slightly more advanced DSP than the Polar. I'm green with envy

It made me get out of the front door and THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!  That reminds me' date=' I have to explain to colonel that the PT just measures your power, it doesn't actually generate it!

[/quote']

That rear hub is large enough to conatin a generator, are all PT rear hubs that size?

Your dedication in the wet / cold still amazes me... Dont yu have decent TV there??

SwissVan2009-01-14 05:09:03