Know What Is In Your Medicine!!!!

Pro-Funrider

What would the motivation be for a non pro rider to dope?

One can understand (but not condone) the pressures of sponsors, media, money, nationalism etc pushing a pro to dope. But what's in it for a weekend warrior?

And, sorry, yes if you're not a pro you are a weekend warrior.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would the motivation be for a non pro rider to dope?

One can understand (but not condone) the pressures of sponsors' date=' media, money, nationalism etc pushing a pro to dope. But what's in it for a weekend warrior?

And, sorry, yes if you're not a pro you are a weekend warrior.
[/quote']

there is still that in it for the WW

Did you give your prize money back? I see you came 6th.

Can't help but think that becuase it is a TCS rider' date=' there is sympathy from the Hub.

I am in the same position as Eben, work 9-5 etc, if I go to the Doc first thing I take out is my drug free sport handbook. You lot where all crying for blood with dopers in the Tour etc, life time bans, and then this guy comes along a cries over spilt milk, throwing himself on the mercy of the HUB and you all sympathise will him. Hypocrits!!!!!!!!!

Embarrassing to say the least.

Eben, I hope I never race against you ever again.
[/quote']

dont bother... I posted a topic a while ago about guys using ephedrine at races and how to spot the riders who were on ephedrine (shaking, goosebumps, dry mouth).

All the dopers came out of the woodwork and rubbished my claims with the most creative excuses as to why they would have those symptoms.

In all fairness I feel sorry for eben. I feel sorry because it is unfair that he is being singled out. What about the 5 guys in front of him? I bet you they're all on juice as well..

oh fandacious please go and check that very topic in which I mentioned that I found it very strange that certain people had goos flesh at races and another riders comment about a sprinter having the ability to outclimb a top climber... ring a bell??????????? sound familiar?????Confused that must

oi - i'm with u on this. I think its pathetic. the dude was busted doping. at least have the balls to come forward and say, "you know what, yes - i was cheating. I knew it was wrong but i tried it anyways, just like everyone else. However I was unlucky enough to get caught".

dont come with some bullsh*t excuse about cold medicine. do you think we're all idiots?

If you'd admitted it I might has still had some respect, but to come and bullsh*t us all makes you lower than snake sh*t. its idiots like you who give cycling a bad name

But he was racing against the elites (which include all the big teams). Perhaps he should've gone for the good stuff.

He brought his teammates' achievements into disrepute.

I have read all 9 pages of Hubbers comments. I did not see any TCS members commenting.

interesting point. when one of them was accused of motorpacing / hanging onto a car to get back to the bunch, TCS were quick to defend..

Guest colonel

They only ride for fun guys and thats why they havent replied cause they out having fun......at the chemist.

Have a look at http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=155439

There are waaay!!! too many long words in there for me to try and understand this late on a Friday evening.

To all the hubbers - Rather spend some time reading about the dope itself, than exploring conspiracy theories about Eben and co. This article is a great place to start.  Wink

They only ride for fun guys and thats why they havent replied cause they out having fun......at the chemist.

You accusing me of doping Colonel?

What do you want us to say? I was dissapointed to see the news yesterday but I am pretty sure that there others doping in all categories of the sport and at all levels. Just because one member of a team or club is tested positive does not mean the entire club is doping.

If a member of Cyclelab club was caught using some substance would it imply that all 2000 odd members were using substances.

I can only speak for myself and those close to me that I am personally friends with and I can assure you that none of those people are doing anything illegal.

Guest Baaisiekel

Gary - I fully agree on everything that you said ! As you are an Attorney / Advocate - please publish a article on "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

I have read all 9 pages of Hubbers comments. I did not see any TCS members commenting.

My reason for not commenting is simple - Nothing I can say will change anyone's opinions and I do not wish to engage in any kind of mud slinging as it would be pointless. Whether Eben's positive test was due to ignorance or not, it still sheds a bad light light on our team and nothing can change that. If I get a decent result in a race now (despite the fact that I'm training my arse off every day), people will doubt my performances and start nasty rumours (as is happening already), and I'll have to deal with that despite the fact that I've done nothing wrong. Hence I haven't commented on the issue.

Believe me this is not a nice situation to be in, but I can go to bed at night knowing I'm 100% clean, and I guess that in the end that is what counts. Despite that it still hurts when people say stuff about your whole team, all just because of one rider's mistake, but I guess we'll just have to deal with that. I'm still glad to be a part of TCS.

?

You accusing me of doping Colonel?

?

What do you want us to say? I was dissapointed to see the news yesterday but I am pretty sure that there others doping in all categories of the sport and at all levels. Just because one member of a team or club is tested positive does not mean the entire club is doping.

?

If a member of Cyclelab club was caught using some substance would it imply that all 2000 odd members were using substances.

?

I can only speak for myself and those close to me that I am personally friends with and I can assure you that none of those people are doing anything illegal.

?

Ian, unfortunately this is one of the ramifications of being caught doping. It damages everyone. People should think about what has happened here. Is 6th place at the Bakwena Superclassic really worth the permanent label of 'cheat' and tainting those around you that have supported you and helped you. Do you value your reputation and friendships less than sixth place in Bakwena? (rhetorical question). I don't know many of the TCS guys, but those that I do (Carel, Spinnekop etc) probably don't deserve to be tarnished, but they have been. Did Eben think about that?

The rumours have been out there, pleading ignorance is no excuse and people need to learn from this.

HAven't gone through all the comments and stuff, but I can tell you that as a cyclist I am ACUTELY aware of doping, I am ACUTELY aware of many substances that can be used and which are present in OTC medicines, I know how, what and why certain things are taken....why? So that I don't ever end up 'accidentally' ingesting something I should not.

As a cyclist and knowing how much of a problem this stuff is, it is my duty to know that. Its practically impossible not to know all that; the most interesting stories on www.cyclingnews.com are the ones about the frauds being caught and then their protestations of innocence.

I remember having a heavy cold towards the end of Epic last year; Johan Labuschagne was suffering from the same snotsiekte. On a 20% gradient we discussed the fact that it was particularly unpleasant as we could not take any cold meds cause their might be effers or something else dodgy in those meds.

It's not for me to pass judgment on Eben or anyone else. But I can pass opinion that the failure to know basic stuff like this perhaps warrants the punishment.

I have not added to this discussion because no matter what I say, the people who are wringing their hands in delight and drumming aloud and dancing in glee at the situation will no doubt have their say and voice their opinions irrespective of what I have to say, and no amount of words, true or false would stop that.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To say that I am Most Disappointed in what has happened to Eben, a tCS rider, is somewhat of a Major Understatement.

Some of the comments & accusation directed at the rest / other tCS members were to be expected, from whom some of those comments came, was not, and equally if not more disappointing.

Again I am at the point where I question why I am investing the time, effort and money in a sport that is close to my heart, where I have done whatever I can to afford some riders the opportunity to enjoy their chosen sport as much as possible, only to be confronted by some of the comments and attitude from other riders and people that supposedly enjoy the same sport that I enjoy and support so passionately. When you do this for no reward other than the ?Thank You? from your riders and the appreciation in their action and attitude (cause believe me, my involvement in the sport in 4 years have not earned me a single sent in additional income from the ?sponsorship?) the reaction from other members of the cycling fraternity makes one seriously doubt your commitment to the sport!!!!

There are some things that I need to address and attend to before making any other comments regarding the situation. So at this point in time I will not add any other comments, either for or against <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Eden?s suspension.

To all who are wringing their hands in delight and drumming aloud and dancing in glee, hope you have yourselves a wonderful field day at my expense.

Ok i Actually  believe ebens story, why would a normal guy who has a normal job take trugs? He wouldnt do that...

Sorry to hear the bad news Eben but S++t happens dude. Look forward to seeing you back on the bike in 6months.

If he was a full time pro i would be laughing at him but he isnt, hes a normal guy. He has no reason to take drugs, its unlikely in the 1st place he would win against the pros so whats the point? TCS is a good club to be apart of, they are just out there to enjoy themselves, i would love to be apart of TCS just for the comoradery they have, they are not cheaters i can tell you that much. They dont even earn a salary from cycling so why would they?