To Boyes Drive or Not?

Philippe

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think with similar weather riders who were unable to clock sub 2h55 on old route will not break 3 this year...

Just heard that this years Argus route will be going over Boyes Drive.  Eish.....that corner going into Kalk Bay with several thousand time obsessed bicycle junkies???.....We ride this road on a very regular basis and have to wonder about the wisdom of this decision.

how reliable is your source? i was told they've gone for the one lane on main road option. either way, there will be some blood on the road. That's the one good thing about hospital bend. Suppose the boyes drive option means there's a clear path to constantiaburg mediclinic for the ambulances

Just heard that this years Argus route will be going over Boyes Drive.  Eish.....that corner going into Kalk Bay with several thousand time obsessed bicycle junkies???.....We ride this road on a very regular basis and have to wonder about the wisdom of this decision.

how reliable is your source? i was told they've gone for the one lane on main road option. either way' date=' there will be some blood on the road. That's the one good thing about hospital bend. Suppose the boyes drive option means there's a clear path to constantiaburg mediclinic for the ambulances
[/quote']

It's definite.  Steve Hayward (chairman of the PPA) told us this before the start of the Paarl Ride on Saturday, and David Bellairs said the same thing during the previous week (although at that stage it was not confirmed as yet)

how reliable is your source? i was told they've gone for the one lane on main road option. either way' date=' there will be some blood on the road. That's the one good thing about hospital bend. Suppose the boyes drive option means there's a clear path to constantiaburg mediclinic for the ambulances
[/quote']

It's definite.  Steve Hayward (chairman of the PPA) told us this before the start of the Paarl Ride on Saturday, and David Bellairs said the same thing during the previous week (although at that stage it was not confirmed as yet)

thanks....but you can never take anything for sure with these guys!

heard sumthing quite sad this weekend, the reason why they in no rush to open chappies is becos the owners / whomever manage the tollgates or the tollgates themselves (ppl charged with running the chappies tollgate) make more money from the mountain while it is closed

Capitalism!
tooHot!!!!2009-01-26 07:20:45

heard sumthing quite sad this weekend' date=' the reason why they in no rush to open chappies is becos the owners / whomever manage the tollgates or the tollgates themselves (ppl charged with running the chappies tollgate) make more money from the mountain while it is closed

Capitalism!
[/quote']

Yes, apparently quite true.  They are getting more from the "insurance" (the pass is a Provincial responsibility) than they normally make from charging motorists to use the road.  So the concession owners are not particularly fussed about the road being closedConfused

Just heard that this years Argus route will be going over Boyes Drive

Hi you Capies

I did the Argus the previous 2 years over Chappies. What is Boyes drive like ----heavy climbs ???? more difficult ????  and why do you say that the times is slower over Boyes compared to Chappies.

Hi you Capies

I did the Argus the previous 2 years over Chappies. What is Boyes drive like ----heavy climbs ???? more difficult ????  and why do you say that the times is slower over Boyes compared to Chappies.

It's not Boyes vs Chappies, it is Boyes + Chappies, 3 more hills that you would not do if the route went  the normal way through Muizenburg.

Hi you Capies

It's not Boyes vs Chappies' date=' it is Boyes + Chappies, 3 more hills that you would not do if the route went  the normal way through Muizenburg.
[/quote']

OOOO   F#$% !!!!  Did not know that !!!!!

Hi you Capies

It's not Boyes vs Chappies' date=' it is Boyes + Chappies, 3 more hills that you would not do if the route went  the normal way through Muizenburg.
[/quote']

OOOO   F#$% !!!!  Did not know that !!!!!

But... It looks like being Boyes + OKW + Blue Route + Hospital Bend.

boyes isnt long or too hard. it has a flat section with 3 climbing sections

the steepest side is from the other side actually...so be thankful for that

Okay, this is what the "climbs" are roughly about

1st: 50m vert in 1km

2nd: 23m vert in 700m

3rd: 52m vert in 1km

This in a 7km stretch of road.

No serious climbs, but definitely unwelcome

Okay' date=' this is what the "climbs" are roughly about

1st: 50m vert in 1km

2nd: 23m vert in 700m

3rd: 52m vert in 1km

This in a 7km stretch of road.

No serious climbs, but definitely unwelcome
[/quote']

MildlyWild----Baie dankie vir jou terugvoer !!!

The thing with Boyes Drive is that it is a lot slower than Main Road past Muizenburg and Kalk Bay. You have to turn sharp right onto Boyes Drive and climb a switchback or 2 to get onto Boyes proper, do the 3 hills and then when you come off it you have a sharp right hander 90 degrees.

This will take some minutes out of a possible sub 3, and could hurt your time.

Compared to  just going straight past Muizenburg and Kalk Bay on Main road, no climbs and to turns.

My guess is Boyes Drive will Add 5 minutes more, at least, if not more.

The thing with Boyes Drive is that it is a lot slower than Main Road past Muizenburg and Kalk Bay. You have to turn sharp right onto Boyes Drive and climb a switchback or 2 to get onto Boyes proper' date=' do the 3 hills and then when you come off it you have a sharp right hander 90 degrees.

This will take some minutes out of a possible sub 3, and could hurt your time.

Compared to  just going straight past Muizenburg and Kalk Bay on Main road, no climbs and to turns.

My guess is Boyes Drive will Add 5 minutes more, at least, if not more.
[/quote']

i wouldnt say the turn is sharp to get onto boyes...esp with road closure

i think i must check the time difference actually...will be interesting to see