Bikefitting in Cape Town

Relentless

Which is the best place to go to for a guaranteed scientific fit. I'm not prepared to plonk down R450 for just a piece of paper. My saddle, stem length, and crank length needs to be optimised for my sub-4 Argus. Help?

Relentless . . . I went to Cycle Lab at Westlake - R250. Was happy with the service I got and feel much more comfortable on my bike. Didn't need to swap any bits and pieces though - I'm sure that would add to the price.

If you're in the Northern Suburbs, try WILLIE ENGELBREGHT.

They do a BIORACER setup, and usually if you do any changes, upgrades etc on your bike, you can twist their arm for a free setup.

They take all your measurements, and plonk it into a computer and they can give you a seperate setup for road, TT and mbt. With a nice printout of all measurements, angles and a diagram of your bike / bikes.

I just bought the e-book on bike fitment this morning, as advertised on the latest news letter from RoadBikeRider.com.

At only $14.95 / R93, I thought it was worth the read.

Will give feedback after I've devoured it from front to back.

I've tried a few Places Relentless already and the one suck more than the other. I found doing it myself involves less pain and kinda works although I still get a pain in my right shoulder but it's better than the other pains I got from "professional" set-up places so I can't give any advice, sorry!!smiley5.gif 

I can say if you are riding now without any pain keep it the way it is, no use going and messing up something that's working.

Probably also not a good idea to change anything now so soon before the Argus, unless you're in serious discomfort with your current position.

Also remenber, when making changes to a position, do it gradually to prevent injury.

I've done the Will Engelbrecht  thing as well. But the problem is measuring the actual dimensions on my bike. My bike (Giant OCR1) has a different geometry to their diagram, and for the life of me I can't measure where the central axis of my handle-bar is, the axis of my cranks, and the height of my saddle with just a handymans measuring tape.

Cyclelab quoted me R450 and the guys sounded quite disinterested.

Francois Du Toit  quoted me R150, but I dunno I just get a funny feeling about his vested interest.

Like Marius I too have a fairly goo feel for my position on the bike. But I wanna do the scientific thing just to put my mind at ease, and be in the right headspace for the Argus. I'm sure you'll all understand.

Further suggestions are welcome.

Relentless38772.4824884259

I did one of these when my cleat setup wasn't right. Ian also moved me slightly more forward, and I had to change from a 100mm to a 120mm stem. While I look very stretched out I'm very comfortable on my bike...apparently I have very long legs..smileys/smiley5.gif

http://www.bikemax.co.za/bikefit.php

We offer a full bike fit service, carried out by our head coach Ian

Rodger. Ian will look at your current position on your bike and ensure

that all key areas are adjusted correctly to suit your riding style and

any anatomical variations from the norm. He will also advise on frame

sizing.

The

consulation takes around an hour and includes

full bike set up. When you leave you

will be ready to ride in your new position and will be able to

feel confident that you are cycling as efficiently as possible.

R250

My 2c's, get comfortable on the bike and then go ridung with some ppl that have been riding for some time. get them to check your position on the bike out and make recomendations. This works the best.

Even with a pro setup, you still have to end up fine tuning things for yourself because all the sientific setups make use of averages to get to your setpoint.

Good luck.smiley5.gif

• 2 weeks later...

what is the website for setting up your bike . it was on one of last years threads.

On this topic I have to give Wayne Girdlestone in Centurion some credit. He had the VTC at the Bruce Reineke shop.

He place my bike on a trainer. Look at my stationary position and also

while peddaling. Position with hands on drops and on hoods.

Repositioned the hoods and angle of the drops.

I felt much more comfortable on the bike after the setup - he did not

use computers - just some old time methods with a plumb line and 

using experience.  And it did not cost me an arm and a leg.

• 2 weeks later...

Jan Opperman, who owns High Street Cycles in Durban Road, B/ville - Durbanville did me a couple of years ago for R75.

I recently heard a bizarre story of a guy who was advised by Cyclelab Fourways to lower his saddle by 3.5 cms!!!! This particular cyclist was no rookie, has been cycling for years so his own judgement could NEVER have been so inaccurate. Secondly he had to wait two weeks for his "appointment" with them as they were "so busy". He pitched up mega-early for his appointment and was attended to immediately, and was also subsequently told he could have come the previous day.