Apparently we deserve to be knocked over

Daniel XTR

I agree. What makes me angry is the attitude of motorists who somehow feel that because a cyclists is in the wrong' date=' it is then fair game to mow them down. Which is precisely what was being advocated on the car website.

[/quote']

And on this forum we have cyclists advocating shooting motorists or

else kicking their cars with MX boots?

Who is fighting for the moral low ground here?

As Alida stated, it's time someone took the initiative and cleaned

their act up. The cyclsits have the most to lose if the problem isn't

resolved, so why don't we take the initiative?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so why don't we take the initiative?

that will never happen because we all know that you can not train if you have to stop at every light or stop street.

Jmac, check out my last post. I never threatened to shoot anyone. I merely stated that this was the only language that some people understand.

I reckon the problem is that when cyclists pull on lycra it often restricts

the blood flow to their brains.

Would this explain why baggy wearing mountain bikers seem to be a fair amount brighter. Big%20smile

Running fast for the door.

Gawd - there has to be some reason!

As Alida stated' date=' it's time someone took the initiative and cleaned

their act up. The cyclsits have the most to lose if the problem isn't

resolved, so why don't we take the initiative?

[/quote']

I already did. I don't ride more than twice a year on the road, and when I do, I don't ride with anyone that will disobey any road rules. I even stop at stop signs and red lights.

When I ride off road, I never have issues with any other users of the land. MTB, MX, Quad, even those odd folks with the dogs behind Clearwater...

Jmac' date=' check out my last post. I never threatened to shoot anyone. I merely stated that this was the only language that some people understand[/quote']

My apologies, you are correct.

Be careful - that's how a lynching starts... Wink

Sick sick sick world we live in....... and you lot have the guts to critizise Joost!!!!!!!!!!

If only we can channel this anger and resentment towards each other more positively.

S2L, why don't start a petition whereby we ask the DOT to acknowledge and to inform motorists that we as cyclists have a right to the use of the road. A simple gesture like this will ensure that motorists are now aware that we are legal road users and therefore should treat us with the respect we deserve.

Com'on, lets get this petition going!!! Let's make adifference!!

Let's all start doing the right thing!!

As Obama says ' Yes! We can make a difference!!!'

I think everyone is missing the point - a guy died. And it was a death that could have been avoided so easily. It's not about who is wrong or right, or who has the law on their side - it is about common sense, decency and respect for all road users.

I don't think Colin would have been proud of the flame war this has become.

Amazing. Thirteen whole pages of posts and only one really good and sensible one.

WELL DONE Alida.     ClapThumbs%20Up

Guys I am afraid I would have to distance myself from this one. Stooping to the level of these guys is not going to solve any problems and I would hate to be riding up Ou Kaapse Weg next weekend when one of these guys comes up there looking for trouble.

I ride regularly with jmaccelari and I think we share the same sentiments. We need to get our own house in order before we have a leg to stand on.

We train as a group and make a big effort to not inconvenience other road users. This does not mean always stopping at robots or riding in single file but being aware and slowing down and checking robots before proceeding and being aware if a vehicle approaches from behind and the group must then move over. Where the road is narrow we will always ask the group to ride single file.

After our group rides I usually ride home alone through heavy traffic and I think I have a good relationship with the other vehicles, even the taxis. I make an effort to always make hand signals and to wave a thank you when someone lets me into a gap.

Apart from one isolated incident with a drunk taxi driver I have had no problems in the few years I have been riding these routes.

Amazing. Thirteen whole pages of posts and only one really good and sensible one.

WELL DONE Alida.     ClapThumbs%20Up

Yes jagwil, amazing, we nearly braked a record ! Wink

(Just to prove I do have a sense of humour).

Yes my Captain. I agree 100% with you.

Problem is, we already have a right to use the roads. On the other side of the coin, we have dimwits who would deny us that right and even use questionable ethics and behaviour to wipe us out.

I agree that we need to have compromise and forunately ( I think) that brain dead ijits are in the minority, (but hey it only takes one of them ijits to kill more than one of us.)

So we get a petition to the DOT. Then they inform some brain dead motorists that we have rights too. That kind of thing happens once a year around december. They call it "arive alive".

And still thousands of brain dead ijits wipe each other and innocent people out in the annual carnage run to the coast.

I love the idea and salute the notion. Then you get the f****wits on another forum who just wn't see any form of logic. You think DOT is going to listen to us.

That ******wit (See I even talk like it now). is exactly the reason why I think we should have a HUGE protest and hold an entrire city to ransom until the DOT actaully listen to us. We can casue HUGE K@K if we blockade downtown JHB for a whole day. Imagine the frustration levels of brain dead motorists then. We really gonna be popular. Protest I say, protest.

It is not enough to have them hear our grievances, they have to act on ALL ijits who break the law. (Perhaps they need to cull some motorists as well, specially those brain dead halfwits we were speaking of earlier.)

S2L' date=' why don't start a petition whereby we ask the DOT to acknowledge and to inform motorists that we as cyclists have a right to the use of the road. A simple gesture like this will ensure that motorists are now aware that we are legal road users and therefore should treat us with the respect we deserve.[/quote']

But this is the problem, until we get our own house in order we cannot command that respect. How many times do I find myself defending cyclists and their riding habits to my own friends never mind our mortal enemies out on the road.