Q-Rings

WorcesterWheelers

BikeMax: did you even read the study on the Qring page? Lab tested subjects' date=' the works...

[/quote']

I did read most of them - I am not convinced that they really demonstrate that Q rings (or any device designed to improve pedaling efficiency) result in greater power output at threshold as a result of improved biomechanics or efficiency.

If improving cycling performance significantly could be achieved by these methods, then I think we would have seen a lot more substantial and well funded studies from the Biomechanical bodies out there.

There is a big focus on efficiency - the assumption that greater efficiency = greater power output at threshold has not really been shown. The study I would like to see is one that proves that if you train with Q rings as opposed to normal rings (and all other variables are equal) then your power at threshold is greater after training with Q rings.

Anyway - I reiterate what I said originally, if they work for you then keep using them - you don't need any scientific proof.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a big focus on efficiency - the assumption that greater efficiency = greater power output at threshold has not really been shown. The study I would like to see is one that proves that if you train with Q rings as opposed to normal rings (and all other variables are equal) then your power at threshold is greater after training with Q rings.

Anyway - I reiterate what I said originally' date=' if they work for you then keep using them - you don't need any scientific proof.

[/quote']

And we all know that variables are never consistent, so the bottom line in my opinion is that it's all about perception.

We've been riding the TT Q-rings on our tandem for the past few weeks. Whilst we are not even close to a position where we expect to see a significant difference in power, one of the other benefits put forward by the suppliers is the relief of stress on the knees and therefore less pain. We have both suffered, in varying degrees, from knee pain despite our bike being professionally set-up and if there is one major and positive impact that has sold us on these rings it is that we have both experienced total relief from knee pain. It is literally a thing of the past.

They come with a positive recommendation from us.

smiley20.gif smiley20.gif

Can't wait for my TT set, hopefully they will be here before the Argus, so I can use them in the Argus to kick Bikemax's butt on the tandem....LOL

P.S. Bikemax, started using the Q-rings on 31st January. As you will notice from my data files, have not done the greatest ever volume or intensity of training in the few weeks prior or after above date.

If the Rings improve your biomechanical efficiency and hence result in reduced fatigue for a given load, then it stands to reason that you can increase the load and produce greater power for the same fatigue levels.

i.e. Perhaps Q-rings just help you push harder for the same fatigue levels

pushing harder = more power

But what do I know, I mean this is all so anecdotal....Clown

i'm not sure if i'm ignorant here but didn't shimano sell such

chainrings in the beginning/mid 90's and called them Biopace? everybody

used them ... but nor for long, they died out.

am i confusing something here?

Biopace was a little different but the principal was the same.

These ring are unique in that the "Sweet psot can be adjusted for your pedalling style.

Biopace and other rings were design to run in only one position.

Theres differences in the effective gearing too but I'll have to do some digging to find out what Biopace and other previous elliptical rings effective gearing at the sweetspot was.

I would hate to have to ride with those power cranks.  Way too lazy to even want to pedal full circle all the timeWink

I have found though' date=' even though I don't ride with a power meter, that closing gaps especially uphill happens much quicker if I concentrate on my pedal technique for the duration of my effort.  Just stomping on the pedals alone, usually leaves the gap wide open, but that's just my unscientific experience.
[/quote']

Looking at my PT when I focus on applying power through the full cycle, I notice an increase in power. But I don't think its anything to do with a better cycling technique, but rather just the fact that I'm focusing on maximising power. I can't do it for long, because in the end it is a still a greater effort, regardless of how I'm achieving it.

Biopace was a little different but the principal was the same.

These ring are unique in that the "Sweet psot can be adjusted for your pedalling style.

Biopace and other rings were design to run in only one position.

Theres differences in the effective gearing too but I'll have to do some digging to find out what Biopace and other previous elliptical rings effective gearing at the sweetspot was.

The orientation of the biopace rings was the opposite of Q-Rings. And I thought at the time that the biopace rings made me feel stronger. Q-Rings believes that the opposite works. Just goes to show that so much can be in the mind.

Not wanting to be the voice of skepticism but please be aware that there is little to show that a better pedal stroke does much for performance - this is a quote from one of the top ex physiologists in the UK (this aside - if it works for you then go for it..)

Originally Posted by ric_stern/RST

Not only is 'circular' pedalling overrated' date=' the evidence appears to be against it -- in general, all the research that had examinded actual pedal forces tends to show that less good cyclist are more 'circular', while better cyclists simply stomp down harder.

As i said in another thread i would not worry about how you pedal (for the vast majority -- MTBers are an exception due to issues of steep and slippy hills) -- all you want to do is aim to produce the greatest power over the duration of your ride

ric

[/quote']

Very clever that BikeMax - so you're saying nothing cause you're quoting someone else.  In Afrikaans we call that a "draadsitter"Wink.

Anyway - according to ric_stern/RST then I'll be a poor cyclist today.

I also thought that I was just stomping down hard in stead of pedalling in proper circles until I tried one of the power meter equipped bikes in the gym.  I could not ride the forkin thing because I kept pulling my feet out of the toe strapsConfused.

Gotto back up bikemax here (and not because I ride in his team). Ric Stern is one of the most respected coaches in the world. Spend some time on the cyclingforums.com or topica wattage lists and you'll realise he really does know what he's talking about.

And there I was preparing myself for some sort of article proving the

Q-rings as hogwash.....

Guess bikemax is not so biast as they all say....Wink

Q-rings AND a SRM, no PT in sight...Big%20smile

Seriously, Bikemax.

I'm willing to be your quinnee pig.

What test protocol do you want me to do on the bike to see if I can find any difference between Q-rings and normal rings?

And there I was preparing myself for some sort of article proving the

Q-rings as hogwash.....

Guess bikemax is not so biast as they all say....Wink

Q-rings AND a SRM' date=' no PT in sight...Big%20smile

Seriously, Bikemax.

I'm willing to be your quinnee pig.

What test protocol do you want me to do on the bike to see if I can find any difference between Q-rings and normal rings?
[/quote']

That study is too complicated to be done by us I am afraid - needs a control and a way to demonstrate that any improvement is entirely dowin to the rings (as opposed to the fitness gains you will be experiencing due to the superior training you are now doing Wink)

That study is too complicated to be done by us I am afraid - needs a control and a way to demonstrate that any improvement is entirely dowin to the rings (as opposed to the fitness gains you will be experiencing due to the superior training you are now doing Wink)

ThanxWink

I'm pretty sure that the Q-rings in combination with some hard work and a good training program will produce results.

Now I'm just holding thumbs that the TT rings arrive this week, so I can fit them on the tandem.Big%20smile

All these comments are great. We find products that are unique and will help the athlete.

To clear up skeptism. We started out hoping that we would be believed. We had tons of skeptism but nowwe constantly get emails were guys quoting data off their powermeters hr monitor etc where there is improvement,.

All are showing better than what we quote.

What bikemax says about pushing down is because the hardest part of the stroke is the deadspot at 12 on the clock. here you want to push forwad but you can only push down. So therefore we always have a very big push stroke instead of an even stroke.

Q rings oval allow for a very small deadspot and a three tooth larger power stroke, which is between 3 & 6, on the clock resulting in higher accelration through the deadspot reducing the effort needed as the dead spot reduces to 50t on a standard 53 Q ring.

So yes they do work, yes they increase power yes they do make it easier on the knees yes they do reduce lactate levels.

thanks for the support