Traing Rides/Groups/VClub rides in Sandton Area

racman

Hi, Just checking if there are any clubs/training rides/groups training in the Morningside/Sandton/Bryanston areas?

Road or mtb?

There's the normal FPC and 'Lab rides, and I know of 2 guys that do regular weekend mtb outrides out of Lonehill. Have done some good distances with them (50km+).

If you are talking about road, there is Illovo Cycling Group that leaves from the garage at Thrupps Centre in Illovo/Rosebank at 5 a.m. Tuesdays to Fridays.

What!!! You mean you don't know about the Engen Classic??

Tue - Fri at the Engen @ top of Main rd....5am. smiley2.gif

What!!! You mean you don't know about the Engen Classic??
Tue - Fri at the Engen @ top of Main rd....5am. smiley2.gif

Dude.. I'm a mtb'er, I don't know about any of these roadie gatherings Wink

I still don't have an answer to average speeds/distances Confused

main road engen is freaking hard ie if you can just hang in at the front you will be too strong for any other group in the area. ?there are a couple of slower engen groups but i havnt ridden with them so dont know av speed.

illovo is a more like a fast social pace with a fast and medium group in summer and usually 1 group in winter.

Thanks 1kTT but ermmmm.... fast/medium is relative? Ermm

i know,but i dont know another way to describe it. ?if you have to ask/are worried about your fitness, you will definitely not survive front of engen and probably not illovo either. ?there is a very simple way to find out, just pitch and see.....

If I have to summarize the Illovo Group Rides:

Tuesday: 40km - Bedfordview inc. Silvia's Pass - 'A' Bunch Ave 30km/h+, 'B' Bunch +/- 26km/h

Wednesday: 40km - Sandton (Similar to E2E Route) - 'A' Bunch Ave 32km/h+, 'B' Bunch +/- 26km/h

Thursday: 38km - Northcliff Hill (lots of hills, Hill St, and all the way up to JHB Hospital) - 'A' Bunch Ave 28km/h+, 'B' Bunch +/- 24km/h

Friday: 40km - West (Ontdekkers Rd - Flat and Fast) - 'A' Bunch Ave 34km/h+, 'B' Bunch +/- 28km/h

Meet at 5am in front of the Total Garage at Thupps Centre.

Head to http://www.cyclesafe.co.za/icg/index.php for more info, and the route maps, or PM jmaccalari (Mr. Plod) for the exact details.

you lie Zaskar smiley2.gif

There's no B group on Wed/Fri and in winter because of the poor turnout there's generally 1 group. Although....cough cough....I reckon there should be a slower one otherwise we'd never grow....

Speed.....hm.....Wed ride was ave of 29km/h....thanks to IanJ and jmaccelari for waiting smiley4.gif

you lie Zaskar smiley2.gif

There's no B group on Wed/Fri and in winter because of the poor turnout there's generally 1 group. Although....cough cough....I reckon there should be a slower one otherwise we'd never grow....

Speed.....hm.....Wed ride was ave of 29km/h....thanks to IanJ and jmaccelari for waiting smiley4.gif

Where were you this morning? It was just Ianj and myslelf for breakfast Confused