Should the bridge stay or go  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should the bridge stay or go

• THE BRIDGE CAN STAY SO WE CAN LAFF
    • see ya bridge
    • bridge must be burned
    • the bridge can stay so the weenies dont have to learn how
    • the bridge has GOT to go

Guess what Shebeen' date=' yes, I DO have a Wildcard.
[/quote']

Would not have guessed that.

You must be the only regular visitor who owns a Wildcard and still pays R20 at the gate each time. Granted it's a very obtuse and confusing fee structure, but I think you could be saving yourself some money here. They can upgrade your card at Westlake.

ps. since we're constantly changing the poll options, wouldn't it be funny if you changed the top one to 'bridge must go' and the bottom one to...'bridge is a game for grannies'?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just popped my popcorn......double buttered anyoneLOL

Oi' date=' caring is sharing!! <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This is by far my fav thread!! I love it!

[/quote']

It does seem to drag like an unskilled rider's back wheelWink

Oi' date=' caring is sharing!! <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

We have to enjoy it while it lasts?.Soon it will be water under the bridge.Wink <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

We have to enjoy it while it lasts?.Soon it will be water under the bridge.Wink <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

True, no bridge over troubled waters hereEmbarrassed More like troubled waters over the bridgeConfused

[/quote']

True, no bridge over troubled waters hereEmbarrassed More like troubled waters over the bridgeConfused

DAmn....that was lameConfused So lame it needs a stretcherDead

[/quote']

DAmn....that was lameConfused So lame it needs a stretcherDead

Build a bridge and get over it? WinkLOL

What tickels me is that of all the commentators on this issue, probably only a few work on the trails.

The post of the history of the bridge was a good perspective - if you leave things it slides into disrepair.

My wife and rode Lebanon about three weeks after the storm washed the bridge near the dam away - and although many people had ridden nobody thought of repairing it.  It took us 20 miutes to find it and drag it back into position.  A small price to pay for the priveledge to ride there.

And this is my point - because we pay some money - it does not give us the right to own the place - we as a mountain biking community need to look after what we have - and sometimes that means a bit of physical graft.  I don't know about recent developments, but when we were still in Cape Town only a few guys ever worked with Cobus, and when we visited Tokai a couple of weeks ago it was only the two of them (maybe more joined later?) So occasionally we have a team from Dirtopia to do major work, but generally it is the local volunteers who keep the track rideable for all.  So let us respect their changes - and we feel they have made a mess - surely good communication will be more fruitful

What tickels me is that of all the commentators on this issue' date=' probably only a few work on the trails.

The post of the history of the bridge was a good perspective - if you leave things it slides into disrepair.

My wife and rode Lebanon about three weeks after the storm washed the bridge near the dam away - and although many people had ridden nobody thought of repairing it.  It took us 20 miutes to find it and drag it back into position.  A small price to pay for the priveledge to ride there.

And this is my point - because we pay some money - it does not give us the right to own the place - we as a mountain biking community need to look after what we have - and sometimes that means a bit of physical graft.  I don't know about recent developments, but when we were still in Cape Town only a few guys ever worked with Cobus, and when we visited Tokai a couple of weeks ago it was only the two of them (maybe more joined later?) So occasionally we have a team from Dirtopia to do major work, but generally it is the local volunteers who keep the track rideable for all.  So let us respect their changes - and we feel they have made a mess - surely good communication will be more fruitful
[/quote']

mtb needs more people like you and all the others who give up their time to maintain mtb routes.

Anyways' date=' I guess some will like it, some wont. I feel that those people who carry on about people who dont go there and build trails shouldnt have a say and should shut up are typical. If 4000 people ride there a month it means CNC has R80k to play with each month. I contribute about R200 to this a month. I have a right to have a say. I'm a paying customer.[/quote']

Well you don;t really have a right to say. Sure youhave a right to voice your opinion but you are not the landowner and therefore ultimately you do not have the last say.

TMNP has some strict environmental policies that need to be adhered to. Not too long ago, we were facing being expelled from Tokai for MTB because the trails that in their state were an ecologoical nightmare.

Well some enterprising folk went in, on behalf of the mtb'er of the western cape and convinced TMNP that there was tourist potential and that the trails will be improved to a more acceptable level. Thats called responsible land useage.

TMNP bought into this and MTB is staying for now, but the changes have tobe made.

Your gate takings does not guarantee you that 100% of the ticket will be used toward MTB. That rather naive. It goes into the TMNP coffers and is used toward their budget for the folowing year. You will be surprised how much it costs to build one 500m sectionof trail.

So now the arguement is around dumbing down the entire trail. Lets stick to the 3m bridge shall we.

I have been ridin gin Tokai since 1991. So I've seen the changes over time and i have seen the effect of irresponsible MTBing. The section where the bridge now stands was once a very narrow stream and it did have a small railway sleeper bridge over it. With riders dragging hteir wheels, the bridge eventually fell into the stream so riders now bunny hopped the stream. The little embankment eventually fell into the stream and was washed away. In 1 winter tht stream widened by 1m.

18yrs later we have a fairly wide eroded area, which somehow MTB'ers think is cool.

Sure it's sool because the frame of reference most have is only a few years.

Those who have been riding therelonger know the damage that has been done. The Bridge will prevent the wheel locks upsgoing into that stream section so hopefully there will be less erosion. That is it's purpose. Sure dumbing it down,call it what you like but even people who can that section  drag their back wheel into it causing erosion.

If you want, I'm sure TMNP will oblige the request for a concrete road like National Parks has built on some sections of Harkerville Trail outside Knysna.

So we can either clean up our act now, or have the authorities either ban us or providea paved road.

The choice is simple.

Most braking areas on the Tokai trail should be armoured to keep erosion to a minimum. However, the experienced rider dragging their back wheels don't seem to give a hoot about this either because dragging their wheel is skillful.

I challenge you blokes to ride from the top of the trail using only front brakes. If you can achieve this then you have skill

If you pay

Thanks for all the enlightening input. You must feel really cool that you've been riding Tokai since '91. I'll bet in '91 people managed to ride through that river on rigid Nishiki's. Anyway, as you put it "youhave a right to voice your opinion" so I voiced mine. The bridge and all the rest of the dumbing down sucks.

I love this 'eco' excuse. Is this the same reason the track on level 2 had a lame boardwalk built on it too?! We all know how eco TMNP are.

Thanks for the riding tips too. You must be an awesome amazing rider to only use your front brakes. I would like you to show us all how first.

What tickels me is that of all the commentators on this issue' date=' probably only a few work on the trails.

[/quote']

Hi Gansbay, I'm happy you are tickled. Since you brought up the issue of who does work on trails, would you care to share with us when last YOU built a trail or helped to maintain one please. Obviously, it stands that if you have not done any, you shouldnt be commenting.

Hey bustthis, who put the bridge there anyway? Someone who owns and operates the trail, or some random twit wot can't ride properly?

[/quote']

Hi Gansbay, I'm happy you are tickled. Since you brought up the issue of who does work on trails, would you care to share with us when last YOU built a trail or helped to maintain one please. Obviously, it stands that if you have not done any, you shouldnt be commenting.

EDIT - I didnt actually ready your post because I was too busy oiling up my chainsaw and seal clubbing bat, but now I see that you guys fixed a bridge. VERRRRRY cool man. We need more people like you in the community. You really deserve a pat on the back. Thanks very much. Wink

Posted: Today at 9:55am By bustthesickness

I worked with Cobus and the crowd while we lived in Cape Town.  We have built a little jump track in Gansbaai, and are busy with a small XC track for the local children and those who like something a bit more interesting.  We don't have bridges yet - but are looking into it!!