Tips for riding with cleats

Nedrider

This no joke, i got on my bike once after fitting the pedals and shoes with Look cleats. Needless to say I fell several times and now I am so afraid to get back on the bike.

Can anyone give me tips on how to get the hang of the clipping on and off without falling.................Cry

Its possible the cleats were set too tight as well by the fitment guys, set them as loose as you can maybe to start with so you can get used to the clip in clip out action. once you have it mastered it then tighen them up just a tad so they hold your foot in properly.

Guest Agteros

Sequence of events changed: As kid (without cleats) you first stopped and just before you keeled over you stuck a leg out...

Now, you FIRST have to get your foot out/off the pedal/cleat and then do the stopping part. You ARE going to come short if you want to clip out only once you starting to loose balance.

With practice the sequence of events get closer to each other! Just practice clipping in/out all the time, even if you have to make a special 'training' ride out of it

Turn you foot sharply by moving your heal away from the bike.  As Holy said, keep a bit of speed and practice.

Maybe they need a bit of lube to lossten them up a bit. Big%20smile

Mine were incredibly stiff when I replaced, and a spray of bike oil osrted them.

Practice and get into the habit of uncliping both feet, most people unclip the left leg first (as it is on the sidewalk side and away from traffic) then they get in a flap because they cant do the right hand side.

It is probably a more important skill to clip in smoothly than unclip.

Get used to falling - it won't be the last time!

SO TRUE!!!

I don't know if it works the same for road cleats, but give it time. You'll find the pedal "loosens up" a bit the more you clip in & out, so it makes it easier. But as someone else said - adjust them so that they're on their loosest setting, and then get used to the clipping in & out. In no time, you'll be adjusting them back to where they were, wondering how you ever failed to manage in the first place.

Think!

As this is not a natural action you have to think about it until it becomes second nature, and it will. So as you are slowing down to stop keep repeating a mantra to yourself - unclip, Unclip, UNclip, UNCLIP, ooo sh*t.

Soon enough it will become a natural action

Get used to falling - it won't be the last time!

Is there anyone who can honestly say that he/she has never ever fallen where the fall had something to do with not clipping out?

you need to figure out which foot you naturally put down first. this may sound pretty logical but my first attempt at cleats i was so intent on not falling that i unclipped my wrong foot first and when i cam to a stop i automatically tried to put my other one out. i can still remember the faces of the guys in the taxi next to me Pi$$ing themselves laughing while i lay in my special pretzel heap in the middle of the road

... i can still remember the faces of the guys in the taxi next to me Pi$$ing themselves laughing while i lay in my special pretzel heap in the middle of the road

This could have been my story, except that I decided that I was going to balance at the robot and then decided that I was going to clip out after all, but then I was already too slow and too close to the pavement and was more concerned about scratching my wheel than falling.  I took the impact with my body and there was only a little scratch on my left crank.  I'll never forget their laughing faces in that taxi!

thanks guys for the advice. been on the bike mounted on a trainer and clipping in and out. Will loosen the cleats a bit then get on the road.

Thanks once again...........Clap