MTB Etiquette

Stoffel76

BTS you are an absolute troll! Just be careful for the three billy goats gruff!

You first have the audaciousness to complain about a bridge being built where there has been trail damage' date=' and then you come asking what the etiquette is regarding right of way, and promptly shooting that down as well.

Why ask what the 'correct' thing is? Why? Do you have such a big need to show yourself out as a pompous, idiotic, self centered, never wrong, know-it-ill.

You know where to find your bridge in Tokai (apparently it is a w-i-d-e one!) Go crawl under it, and please STFU

[/quote']

ooooh, easy Tonto.

I DIDNT ASK WHAT THE ETIQUETTE IS, GET IT???

let me repeat for the 'special' person here

I DIDNT ASK THE QUESTIONS. I REPEAT I DIDNT ASK THE QUESTION. ok?

...and I must say, it's so rad that the bridge is now being to referred to as mine! does this mean I can go smash it?

classic reply tho, and one that I'll discuss around the campfire at scouts tonight.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a bit divided: on a single track for DH riders, why in the world would ppl be cycling up? It's plain nutty.

On another track not dedicated to DHers, I can understand . But there is a reason why no pedestrians and cyclists are allowed on freeways. Similarly, DH tracks should be dedicated to one way traffic. I would hate to wipe out because I had to 'give way' to some nutty going the wrong way.

I think the IMBA have got i good thing going' date=' they have done heaps for mtb over the years, longer than most hubbers have been around.

Can't say I agree with the uphill downhill thing that they specify, but that is widely known as the correct course of action.

However, on personal principle - I choose to let downhillers go past purely because I love the buzz of a DH and having it interupted isn't so much fun and I am hoping somewhere along the line somone will do the same for me...

Arrogance on a trail just ain't cool!!!!!

[/quote']

I'm with MoreTrails here....I'll yield for descending riders.....the downhill singletrack IS the whole purpose for the enormous climb anyway..."Heartbreak Hill" comes to mind here....

IMBA is Northern Hemisphere, where they drive on the opposite side of the road....so here the rules should apply IN REVERSE...Embarrassed...right.....I know...just throwing it in there somewhere....

Anyway, I'll yield next time for ascending riders.....Cry....

DH tracks are a different story altogether. You would ideally shuttle up. Downhillers dont like riding uphill anyway.

It all has to do with traction. It is extremely difficult to get going, clip in and try and resume and maintain momentum once you have stopped if you are going uphill. Downhill you can just roll down, clip in and be on your way.

Unfortunately we do have to share our open spaces with other people and being pissed off about someone being in your space in the universe as you are feeling your downhill trail is not very nice. They didnt choose to be there. Your turn will come when you are on the up and you will appreciate someone giving you that helping hand when you need it.

Ying%20Yang

b2b, thats cool to yield to guys who are coming downhill. I hope they thank you for it. Dont you find that often they dont?

something I'd like to add: guys coming up on riders from the rear NEED TO HAVE RESPECT AND PATIENCE. It's NOT a race. Some sections of trail have multi technical level bits. I was at Tokai the other day coasting through a section lining up for a nice drop when some lycra clad TONTO comes screaming up behind me to take the easy line. He totally stuffed up my run. Next time I wont let it slide.

Maybe he's seen the way you treat ascending riders?Big%20smile

LOLClap Africa is not for sissiesOuch

BTS you are an absolute troll! Just be careful for the three billy goats gruff!

You first have the audaciousness to complain about a bridge being built where there has been trail damage' date=' and then you come asking what the etiquette is regarding right of way, and promptly shooting that down as well.

Why ask what the 'correct' thing is? Why? Do you have such a big need to show yourself out as a pompous, idiotic, self centered, never wrong, know-it-ill.

You know where to find your bridge in Tokai (apparently it is a w-i-d-e one!) Go crawl under it, and please STFU

[/quote']

Well said Agteros.

What about idiots simply riding on the wrong side of the jeeps tracks! Up or down! Seems there are lots of peeps with very short attention spans! Go around a blind corner on the wrong side and yeah you are going to get the fright of your life! Duh

Guest Agteros

Bullbar, but nobody is EVER in the wrong. It is ALWAYS the other party's fault!

something I'd like to add: guys coming up on riders from the rear NEED TO HAVE RESPECT AND PATIENCE. It's NOT a race. Some sections of trail have multi technical level bits. I was at Tokai the other day coasting through a section lining up for a nice drop when some lycra clad TONTO comes screaming up behind me to take the easy line. He totally stuffed up my run. Next time I wont let it slide.

So basically everybody needs to adjust to the way YOU ride so YOU can have the best time?

My advice to YOU is this: less "I'm a way cool like totally rad downhiller dude" and more "team player"... Use it - don't use it...

I have been riding up the singletracks in Tokai more often lately. I always took it for granted that the climber gets right of way.

About 2/10 descenders stopped for me.

8/10 just blasted through - 3/8 said thanks.

Clearly there is no protocol in this regard.

Common courtesy indicates that the rider having the most difficult ride gets right of way.

Not a lot of this either.
splat2009-04-29 00:01:30

Shameless x-post courtesy of Mintsauce:

Originally posted by MintSauce

Advocacy

How to: Keep Singletrack Single... Fruita Ethics!

Fruita Singletrack Ethics    -     for singletrack lovers everywhere...

I've tried to say this a million ways and have decided to just offer up a few positive tips to those who want to join or lead the art of using a mountain bike to actually make trails better, instead of contributing to the MTB nemisis of the ever widening trail. Here's some thoughts for those of us who want to preserve the narrow and flowing trails we ride and love. Thanks for reading and Thank You even more for spreading the love of singletrack.

Learn the Singletrack Yield; the rule of ?Yield to everyone? isnt right! Too often riders who meet just ride OFF TRAIL around each other. That is NOT a Yield at all; that's ?Im too much in a hurry to be slowed by you?. The rule is most always; allow the uphill rider to pass. (or best of all use directional trail travel when possible) How? STOP your bike - still in the trail... step a foot out of the trail off to the side (without crushing that plant or cactus) and LEAN your bike and/or slide it a bit to the side. The rider you are YEILDING TOO then can pass without leaving the track. AWESOME!      If we pass each other; thats 2 bikes wide and thus is NOT SINGLETRACK after we do. (Trails wide enough for this are called "double track" or ?roads?) Keep Singletrack Single is our rule... Thanks for being a part of that passion for narrow beautiful trails.

NO Shortcuts! - we all know that we dont cut switchbacks (I think we do) but we also need to spread the word that just because we ?see a trail over there? doesnt mean we need to ?ride over there right now?. Trails all have a start/entrance and and end/exit; they may have several but they do not need an entrance and exit every few yards. Please don't ?cut over? to the trail from your camp site or from that road you parked on or from anywhere except the Trailhead. I can promise you; if you ride up the road you will find the entrance; then you can roll DOWN the sweet singletrack and help it continue a long life as "sweet singletrack" as well as preserve the experience of those who are on track.

Cheaters never prosper / No new TrAXES! - we all run across things we can't or don't feel like riding. If we didn't; then we would be the single greatest rider in the sport. Never ?lower? the trail to your skill level by altering the line or stacking rocks or cutting down trees or plants or making a "ride around" (sometimes "designed ride arounds exist and thats fine). Someone can ride it; I know it seems like too much but it's not. Ask your friend to spot you and give it a try maybe, or just walk it, NEVER re-design a trail that you didn't help design and build in the first place. If you really think it needs fixing? Stop in the local trail advocate shop and mention it. That will be appreciated; kicking out "off trail tracks" will be appreciated by all and prevent others thinking it's OK to do the same. Creating a new ?by pass? or ?ramp? on someones favorite rock move will be despised and be re-built back to normal and thus wastes everyones time. Cutting down or back a tree is just vandelism of nature; NEVER kill plants for your own convenience, our day on the trail certainly doesnt out weigh the value of a 400 year old juniper? The beauty of a mountain bike is we can travel through pristine places and leave no impact or damage at all behind. Just a sweet ribbon of Ten inch singletrack flowing off into the distance.   "Learn to ride Ten Inches wide"        Thank You and feel free to spread the word.

When in doubt... RESPECT it... all of it. We love here and you came here because it's awesome. I travel becasue I want to see more awesome places. To be the one who comes to ?awesome? and leaves it ?less awesome? says something about me that I would never want to hear said.    Leave it as good or better than you found it...

These are the Trails and the Places we Love! I'm glad you love them as I do. Thanks for the help - Keep Singletrack Single - Love Life - Share the Love - Enjoy the ride

from http://www.otefruita.com/advocacy/

When I am going uphill I always yield to guys coming down. Sure it is a little harder to get going again but the uphill is unpleasant as it is so having to stop once or twice isnt going to ruin my day. Gives me a chance to rest anyway.

On the flip side, having to stop on the downhills really does spoil the fun. You did all the hard work getting up only to have to keep stopping for other riders.

Obviously in areas where the track is really narrow and there is little space, both riders need to slow down to make allowances to get around each other.

Fortunately the trails in PE are not very congested and this isnt really a problem. Often you don't see another rider while out.

Hi Fleming, we often come down to PE and Jbay and I am always looking for some trails to ride. Do you have some more info of who to hook up with in PE for rides, or an idea of where to start if you want to do a solo ride?