AMA 100miler

Robbo

I can't believe that the event is going ahead based on all the weather warnings for the weekend' date=' including the predictions from Windguru and Weathersa.

If the PPA can postpone the 1 tonner then there is no reason why this can't be postponed.  The organisers obviously feel that they have the entrant's money now so let's keep it.  This is very short sighted and what could turn out to be the DC for MTB'ers will not start off on a good note.

Apparantly the organisers say that it will be too much effort to postpone now - "so let's take the easy way out" and put the MTD'ers at risk in storm and gale force conditions.

Nice one AMArider's so much for the MTB sport you are "avid"supporters of!!!!!!!
[/quote']

panzie...

whats the worst that could happen?

you could get wet and cold? boo frikking hoo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the PPA can postpone the 1 tonner then there is no reason why this can't be postponed.  The organisers obviously feel that they have the entrant's money now so let's keep it.  This is very short sighted and what could turn out to be the DC for MTB'ers will not start off on a good note.

You can't even compare the two - the One Tonner caters for the Elite riders, right down to the fun riders, while the 100Miler is more for the enduro/Epic/"Messed in the head" kinda rider.

Next you will be asking them to cancel TransBaviaans because it is a little damp. Or the Argus because it is a little windy.

If you don't feel like doing it - don't - stay in bed, have a cup of tea, relax. But what about the rest of us who don't mind braving the conditions?

Here's a little video for you:

Well said Fands & Velouria...

peeps know what they're in for, and besides - it's a lot safer riding off-road in these conditions than on-road. I mean, they don't make "wet-specific" tyres for road bikes, do they? Plus, a bit of a slip in the mud won't hurt you - a slip on the road will.

Us mtbers are a tough lot, and if i had entered, it'd be like the Argus was this year - no way I roll back over and catch more of a snooze - I WANT the battle scars, and I want to be able to say that "I DID IT" in these conditions.

On the other side of things, they didn't cancel the MTB Argus, and it was held in FAR more dangerous conditions than we have today...

Where to begin? The weather was foul, no - beyond foul. It was wet, it was cold, and it was WINDY. It was too wet for there to be mud, which I suppose can be seen as a blessing.

The wind was so strong that you had to pedal on the downhills just to keep moving. On one section, we were riding upstream, against the current, as the whole road had been turned into a river.

The rain came in sideways - I don't think I have ever had it rain IN my ear before. And it stung like crazy.

My bike was making sounds I have never heard before. What worried me more was when the sounds stopped.

Despite all this, it was a great event, and given the conditions, well organised. I was quite surprised to see around 200 of the 400 entrants at the start - there are quite a lot of tough MTBers in Cape Town. Just being brave enough to contemplate the start deserves a medal. When I left, they were expecting only 75 finishers.

Well done to Dirtopia and Amarider - I'll be back next year, in hopefully fairer conditions.

Just finished cleaning the bike. Seems I'll be needing new set of disk pads front and back, there's nothing left. No wonder the brakes where making those funny sounds towards the end. Cry

The derailleur pulleys and chain is probably also on the list for replacement.

Yes, the rain was hard enough to sting like crazy. Cape Storm Stratos jacket kept me dry for about the first 5km. After that it only kept me reasonably warm (read just above hypothermia).

Still, great race. Will do it again.

Brake pads are shot. Rest of the bike is in tip top condition. Stripped the bike completely and cleaned every bit of it. Chain and crank blades and pulleys are all in perfect condition.

it was rather on the hardcore side. that soup in riebeeck kasteel saved me.

people were joking about swimming, our one guy fell over in a puddle/pool and was probably 3/4 underwater.

Well done guys.Clap Marius, 9th en CM Muller 5de(goeie buddy en hubber)

Im very glad I didnt have to make the desision to ride or not. Some people didnt pitch for the Argus cause It was a little windy..LOL

That 100miler was no doubt HARD CORE.

we want "before and after" pics of all those mud covered faces' date=' pleaseBig%20smile[/quote']

there were to many showers to get mud covered

Brake pads are shot. Rest of the bike is in tip top condition. Stripped the bike completely and cleaned every bit of it. Chain and crank blades and pulleys are all in perfect condition.

your pads stuffed cause you had to keep braking to wait for me ?

Embarrassed

Well done on anyone who finished.  Or started for that matter.  10.5 hours and the stupidest, hardest and most wonderful thing I have done.  Outstanding organisation (start/finish, food/drink replenishment and route marking) under the toughest conditions - well done to the organisers for having the courage to continue with the event.