Let's see those Morewoods...

Iwan Kemp

Why are the rear shocks on some Zula's facing backwards and some the otherway round? Personal choice, does it matter?

I think its 2 different shocks

2010 Zula has the RP23

2011 Zula has the RP2

Not sure what would happen if you had to take the RP23 and try install it the other way around like the RP2

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are the rear shocks on some Zula's facing backwards and some the otherway round? Personal choice, does it matter?

I also wondered about that. Mine used to "face down". Then I saw on one the old Tread mags where Patrick rode a Zula of which the shock faced "up".

So last week I switched my shock around------------and maybe this is just mind over matter----------but I am sure mine feels more efficient like that??? :blush:

I also wondered about that. Mine used to "face down". Then I saw on one the old Tread mags where Patrick rode a Zula of which the shock faced "up".

So last week I switched my shock around------------and maybe this is just mind over matter----------but I am sure mine feels more efficient like that??? :blush:

Hey Reg is that a RP23 on a 2010 frame?

Hey Reg is that a RP23 on a 2010 frame?

No! RP23 on 2009 frame :rolleyes:

I do not use my cage in the frame, I use one of those tri-athlete wanna-be seat post cages, so no worries with bottles in-and-out but it would def. make it difficult to put your bottle in the cage.

My new frame should arrive tomorrow. :clap: Will have a look which way round the factory fits it.

Put up the pics once it is build!

You will love it!

My little man on his Morewood! First time on the bike and first time getting his helmet on!

post-12790-0-12881000-1297254951.jpg

Morewoods look at home in Tokai Forest.

post-12790-0-56689000-1297255061.jpg

Do any of you Morewood lot know how much the Shova ST 2010 in a medium weighs in at?

I could be wrong, but I am quite positive that I have read somewhere that the frame is 3.1-3.2kg, with the RP23 included.

I am actually looking at building a shova st up as a do-it-all bike.

I was so hoping they would just upgrade the Shova with the same looking tubes and rear triangle. Imagine this bike with 140mm travel and just a bit lighter than the current Shova.

But no...they made that Split pivot malarkey, Trek look a like ding met sewe pivots en what have you. Still gutted...

Yeah MW I am with you on that DW-link thing. After all the song and dance about keeping it pure and simple, same performance from a single pivot and so on.

This new thing cuts real deep I agree.

If you are going to start a religion, best to stick with at least the basic tenets.

I seem to remember Ellsworth going on about not needing Pro-pedal because ICT was so soooo damn hot, and guess what they have been speccing for the last 2 years...

I could be wrong, but I am quite positive that I have read somewhere that the frame is 3.1-3.2kg, with the RP23 included.

I am actually looking at building a shova st up as a do-it-all bike.

Stephan, you can not go wrong building up a Shova as a do it all bike - it can generally handle more than the average rider throws at it. Although you are dealing with a slight weight penalty from the frame (hey, its a burley bike - made for comfort not speed as they say...), one can build them pretty light if you have healthy pockets. If you have deep healthy pockets you could probably get a Shova ST down to about 12kgs. Gonna cost you though...

I have an 08 ST and last time I put it on a scale it was around 13.4kgs with nothing too special on the rig. I think the biggest positive was converting to tubeless, it made it that much more snappy. Other than that what it goes up, it comes down and man does it love going downhill!!!

Well worth the pain and financial suffering to get her dialled. Man I love my bike... Build a Shova ST - you will never be sorry!

Yeah MW I am with you on that DW-link thing. After all the song and dance about keeping it pure and simple, same performance from a single pivot and so on.

This new thing cuts real deep I agree.

If you are going to start a religion, best to stick with at least the basic tenets.

I seem to remember Ellsworth going on about not needing Pro-pedal because ICT was so soooo damn hot, and guess what they have been speccing for the last 2 years...

Couldn't agree more with you guys. The Orange 5 has been one of its best sellers ever and is very similar to the Shova. Orange just seem to upgrade it on a minor scale every year or 2 and it still scores top marks in something like MBR UK to this day. I would have loved to have seen the Shova get a flared headtube to take a 1 1/8 to 1.5 steerer fork and an ISCG guide. Maybe another half inch of travel at the rear....

Speaking of which:

I have a mate who has had a DHX Air fitted to his Shova (yes he is buddies with Patrick) and apparently it has tranformed the handling. An extra bit of travel but also a plusher ride, as one can get the small bump sensitivity dialed and squishy...but the DHX Air allows you to dial in bottom out as well. So a small bump squishy shock that can handle big hits and not bottom like an RP23...definitely the next mission for an upgrade. That an a 140mm fork with a through axle - keep the mowing through rocks straight and true.

About the Sukuma replacement of the Shova, I have heard good things recently. Good active suspension and stiffer frame too....

Still not a Shova though.... Man I love my bike!

Man those all white Zula's look good!!

Will post my Morewood when it arrives..... <_<

Anyone with a Shova frame meduim/large please PM me!

;)

Skylark - may know of a cobalt blue medium Shova frame up for grabs. 2010 model, so the last era. PM me with your measurements if you interested and I can set you up with the current owner if it is still on the market...

Archived