Name BAD Cycle shops

Pappa Bear

last time i made a comment on a very well known LBS about something i wasn't happy about i got eaten up by everybody on the hub, so i will refrain from it this time, rather name the good ones

very happy with the guys at Broadacres Cycle Science

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big H

For all of you moaners and groaners I can only say..... stop slobbering at the mouth waiting for 7e Laan or Egoli to start and get off your lazy @sses and start doing the work yourself. That way if the service is poor or the job is not well done ya can kick ya own @ss!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmm........

Makes sense.

Here is a good shop:

Fritz Pienaar in Irene - Technical competand' date=' Friendly, Fair

Bad service.....

Here is an example.... Did an upgrade on my bike - got juicy 7 brakes, 200mm front, 185mm back.  The guy promissed me that his BEST tech will work on my bike...... When I inspected the bike he used the wrong caliper adapter brackets..... Shimano on Avid brakes..... it LOOKS fine but on closer inspection it shows that only 2/3s of the pad grips the rotor.... He also used a front 200mm bracket on the back of the bike to "make" it fit - did not get the correct bracket.........  Result - Bought new brake pads and the correct adapters and did the job myself.....

Bad service - Taking your bike in for a service and getting it back with under performing brakes (discs) due to an idiot cleaning the rotors with a greassy rag......

Scratches on your fork? Cracked fork due to over tightend bolts?

That IMHO is bad service.......

O yeah and if you walk in to the shop , they see you don't great you..... have to wait for ever to be helped and then you KNOW the guy is clueless......

These days I prefer to order from CRC and do my own stuff...... 
[/quote']

mmm phone a friend?

For all of you moaners and groaners I can only say..... stop slobbering at the mouth waiting for 7e Laan or Egoli to start and get off your lazy @sses and start doing the work yourself. That way if the service is poor or the job is not well done ya can kick ya own @ss!!!!!!!!!

Oom Big H: jissie PM my dan vertel ek jou alles wat in Egoli gaan gebeur- julle is mos twee weke agter of is dit nou anders omConfusedLOL

Guest Big H

Oom Big H: jissie PM my dan vertel ek jou alles wat in Egoli gaan gebeur- julle is mos twee weke agter of is dit nou anders omConfusedLOL

Sallie weettie ek service my fiets in daai tyd of lees op oor hoe die goetters inmekaar steek om nie sodoende 'n poepol te maak van myself soos Pappa Beer nie. PB gaan kyk bietjie mooi weer na hoe disk brake mount adaptors werk en jy verstaan hoekom ek so se!!!!!!

Howdy.....

I think we should start to name and Shame Cycle shops that give bad service..... AngryAngryAngryAngry

Some of my frustrations:

1.  Not friendlyCry

2.  Not helpfullConfused

3.  Not caring stockDead

4.  Technical incompetandAngry

5. Customer service' date=' huh can you eat it?Ouch

Shurely we the cyclist should receive better service - we keep them in business!!!

[/quote'] 6. Subscribers to price fixing arrangements?

Klapperknop...You make a valid point about buying online. But, from my side I would say most of my purchases have been totally on impulse. I like walking around a shop, looking at all the goodies and fighting temptation to buy anything and everything that appeals to me.

Having said that, the prices and professional service you get from somewhere like CWC or CRC are a big bonus.

I have a "local bike shop" in Northcliff Cycles. Alex and his crew are fantastic, always able to help you out and always willing to go the extra mile for you. But, I do travel a helluva long way to get that service...but it is well worth it.

I went into The CycleHub at Rietvlei for the very first time this weekend (which as the crow flies is less than 3km from me) and I was suitably impressed with the shop and some of the prices. The shop is a huge improvement from its old spot at Panorama...and in such a cool setting.

I also believe that we are quick to complain about service...but rarely give praise when its due. I agree with Mampara, I also expect the best service no matter where I go...but when its "above and beyond" it also deserves a mention.

"The ones that I think suck are Mavericks and Bring it On Cycles.. I dunno, I found them to be very unfriendly and a bit dodge to take your bike for a service, especially from Bring it On.."

Funny how one experience service.I only service my bike at Bring It On,have bought 2 MTB's,one road bike and two kiddies bikes from them.Whenever I felt like I was hard done by,I mentioned it and the problem was solved.One of the only bike shops that really go out of their way to do organized rides for the members as well.

Shops in our area that I rate top class is:

1.  Leighs Cycle centre

2.  Hattons Cycles

3.  Cycle Lab

4.  Shaun's Power Cycles

All offer awesome service with a smile and are pretty reasonable with their prices for servicing bikes.  And hold a really great stock of things..

The ones that I think suck are Mavericks and Bring it On Cycles.. I dunno' date=' I found them to be very unfriendly and a bit dodge to take your bike for a service, especially from Bring it On..
[/quote']

Fruitloop I guess this where the subjectivity comes in. The problem is that 2 of the 4 on your top list list I have heard people muttering about, sharing their doom and disaster stories to the extent I am too scared to  go near them Confused  ..and Mavericks have always been friendly and helpful with advice. 

Shops in our area that I rate top class is:

1.  Leighs Cycle centre

2.  Hattons Cycles

3.  Cycle Lab

4.  Shaun's Power Cycles

All offer awesome service with a smile and are pretty reasonable with their prices for servicing bikes.  And hold a really great stock of things..

The ones that I think suck are Mavericks and Bring it On Cycles.. I dunno' date=' I found them to be very unfriendly and a bit dodge to take your bike for a service, especially from Bring it On..
[/quote']

Fruitloop I guess this where the subjectivity comes in. The problem is that 2 of the 4 on your top list list I have heard people muttering about, sharing their doom and disaster stories to the extent I am too scared to  go near them Confused  ..and Mavericks have always been friendly and helpful with advice. 

Ja I guess some people have had different experiences with the different shops hey...

I think a much better idea is to name the GOOD shops - at least then there is nothing negative which could come back and bite

I think a much better idea is to name the GOOD shops - at least then there is nothing negative which could come back and bite

It's the same. Not everybody has had good service from the same shops.

"The ones that I think suck are Mavericks and Bring it On Cycles.. I dunno' date=' I found them to be very unfriendly and a bit dodge to take your bike for a service, especially from Bring it On.."

Funny how one experience service.I only service my bike at Bring It On,have bought 2 MTB's,one road bike and two kiddies bikes from them.Whenever I felt like I was hard done by,I mentioned it and the problem was?solved.One of the only bike shops that really go out of their way to do organized rides for the members as well.
[/quote']

exactly, not being a durbanite, i have only been into bring it on once. guys were friendly, helpful, and i bought a couple things. does that make it good shop? i can't say.

It's the same. Not everybody has had good service from the same shops.

At least there will not be a potential lawsuit or apology like we have seen on the past on this website!!!!!

I have never actually had BAD service from any of the shops I have been to.

EPIC CYCLES DOORNKLOOF

FRITZ PIENAAR HATFIELD

WESTRAND CYCLES KRUGERSDORP

FRITZ PIENAAR IRENE

I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude of the customer. If the customer is unreasonably DEMANDING and always finding fault I am afraid that he/she is unlikely to get top service. If the customer is always friendly, understanding and does not expect the impossible he/she will always get friendly excellent service in return. My experience anyway. All the above bike shops know who I am and treat me very well. 
jagwil2009-05-26 06:55:07