Roadies:Stop moaning and start behaving!

AiKona

MuXmAn has a point. There are many dead people that stood up for their rights? You want to be one of them? Yes, well than claim your rights on a South African road.

Okay lets get a bit more partical. Sorry Big H your licence idea is totally oddball. I still have to see how licencing a bit can make the "legal" arguement stronger. Do you really think cars are going to dodge legally licenced bicycles and aim for illegal ones? No? then I would really hate dying so that later my ghost can say, "but the bike was licenced, he had a legal right to be there under the truck". Also, only a complete moron would believe that the punny R300+ you pay for a licence actually builds the roads we ride on. No that is why we all pay taxes to a central government. (And on some roads tolls- but lets not go there, as cyclist have offered to pay per wheel to use toll roads to no avail). Furthermore I pay for the licence of two cars, of which one is parked most of the time, so can't I transfer the road time to my bicycle?

You want to come home alive:

Get as many people to THINK BIKE.

Stay Visible (even if you look like a christmas tree- a secondary use for your christmas tree likes).

Ride predictably

Carry Identity.

Last thought:

No motorist wants a cyclist to scratch his car's paintwork, so he will avoid you if he can-that is unless he is drunk and then you are fcuked.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big H - I just checked your profile and notice you're only a couple of years older than me! Crumbs - what's with this Oom stuff when everyone addresses you?

You're still a spring chicken!

You can fix license plates all over your bike, get dressed in dayglo pants and use all the handsignals in the book. But you'll still be killed if the buggers don,t fear you!

Then we'll have another protest ride and say how bad it is blah blah blah......

Wake up and smell the cofee!

More than half the drivers on the road have bought their licenses and you think for one moment that licensing bicycles will stop the mahem!?

you're smoking bad sTuff man!!

MuXmAn has a point. There are many dead people that stood up for their rights? You want to be one of them? Yes' date=' well than claim your rights on a South African road.

You want to come home alive:

Get as many people to THINK BIKE.

Stay Visible (even if you look like a christmas tree- a secondary use for your christmas tree likes).

Ride predictably

Carry Identity.

Last thought:

No motorist wants a cyclist to scratch his car's paintwork, so he will avoid you if he can-that is unless he is drunk and then you are fcuked.[/quote']

Konafan, why are the two stances not complementary in your opinion? Why can't you can stand up for what you believe and still take every precaution to maximise your safety? Confused

BUT as long as the general perception is that you DO NOT BELONG then all the measures that you take will not be enough because you will gradually become more and more exposed by the actions of people who do not

want you on THEIR road.

And, I take every precaution that you suggest. I also try to ride on "safer" roads to avoid the more dangerous roads. But even they are becoming unsafe because of a number of factors.

And as my final posting on this subject I agree that cyclists acting irresponsibly do us all immense damage.

But not every action of a cyclist holding up traffic is an irresponsible act. Sometimes it is the responsible action. Obviously when this occurs one should make some effort at indicating to motorists why you are riding further out into the road (for example) - like holding your hand out to indicate that they shouldn't pass. You should also make every effort to get out of the way once it is safe.

The way some people on this forum would view the action I describe above is that it is NEVER acceptable to hold up traffic and that we all have to act in a meek, submissive way or we deserve to be run down. I have witnessed epople fall because they have allowed themselves no room to move and end up against the kerb stones.

I regularly hold up the traffic when it starts to get hairy but I try to do it in a responsible manner. Yes, I get bad reactions sometimes but mostly people actually understand (more???) my situation and accept it. When I thank them for their patience I also always get a positive reaction.

How can that be wrong?????

And people seem to forget that there ARE ALREADY LAWS WHICH GOVERN OUR USAGE OF THE ROADS. So it's not like we are asking for some new & alien consideration. Unfortunately they are outdated and one-sided.

Re your last thought. A tiny fraction of accidents are intentional. Most are as a result of negligence or a lack of proper consideration of actions. The guy that put a colleague of mine in hospital a few months back never intentionally drove his trailer into him on a bend. He simply never thought much about whether he was leaving him enough space. He never thought about the consequences of cutting the corner - simple as that. But if my colleague had ridden more in the center of the road until the road widened out enough and this guy had to think about it just once - as a reasonable individual the next time he may have just thought about it before cutting the corner.

That's me - I'm done.

G'night all.

LOLWindbreaker, I was wondering about your name ( and the way you speak to Big H) does Windbreaker imply the speed at which you ride or your level of flatulance? Any way good night, you really need to hang up-side down now and get some blood back into that thick bony part of yours....Big%20smile

When is the Next Hubber Award event?

Can we please remember to award A VERY SPECIAL AWARD to BaieSukkel for his contributions in the post ... I leave it up to your creativity in naming the award and to decide HOW SPECIAL it needs to be ..

The only way cyclists will get respect from other road users (motorists) will be if these motorists also come from a cycling background. Only then will they understand and feel the situation enough to respect the rights of cyclists.

Guest Big H

Maybe BaieSukkel is a double header??????

You windbags that call yourself cyclists..... listen to me very clearly, I am not going to go through this laborius explanation again. WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND MOTORISTS AT LARGE AS LONG AS WE HAVE GOT THIS ATTITUDE OF "I CAN RIDE WHERE I WANT WHEN I WANT TO EVEN IF IT IS ON THE CREDIT "AIRTIME" OF NOT USING MY VEHICLE" You are using an unlicensed (get that intio your thick skulls)vehicle. You legally have no say in any matters that concerns road usage and safety. We have to get our own act right before we can demand. Road users are gatvol of our arrogant and demanding usage of the road. BEFORE WE DO NOT GET OUR ACT TOGETHER nobody is going to take us seriously. Some cyclists are so testosterone ridden that the moment they climb on their saddles hits their @sses they leave their meek and mild beancounting self behind and become beliggerent and obnoxiuos. Road users see that and they measure ALL cyclists in the same way. By having an identifyable plate on the bike enforced by law these scoundrels can be fined and procecuted. The one skipping the red lights can be brought to justice by being identifyable. The bunches that hog the whole road and infuriates other road users can thus be identified. Their licenses can be revoked and they will not be able to use the road..... or take part in races where they normally boost their overinflated egos anymore. Those of you who do not agree with this basic principle are most likely the ones I am talking about. Yes, my proposal may have many flaws but at least it is a tool to start regulating the unabated misuse of the roads by certain cyclists. Unfortunaltely the saying of one bad apple makes the whole box rotten still stands. Normal moral values still stands. If the rotten apples in our fraternity are cast out we might be able to start making legal and moral demand for our poewnn safety. Untill then we have no foot to stand on. Hell we keep on complaining ..... even Andrew and Owen on Supercycling....... that something must be done. I have heard this monotonous refrain now for the past six years and still nobody has the guts to lead and try and do something. I intend to start this..... even if I have to do it form Nigeria. I do not intend to change the mind of motorists by doing what I propose, no, I intend to chage the crooked values of cyclists. A change in attitude will then prevail and motosists will then start accepting our place on the road. The bad apple motorists will still be there and accidents will still happen but at least it might diminish. I do sincerely hope that after the effort and lobbying I intend to put in it will work.

Warped, the title "Oom" is a title of respect in the Afrikaans Language. You cannot demand respect.... you earn it!!!!!!

Big H, I think you need to understand. Cyclists have every right to utilise the road. It is so regardless of the fact that our bicycles are not licensed. This is exactly the attitude of all motorists who do not understand this law.

I have to agree with you, that until the attitude of cyclists change, we are fighting a losing battle. As I mentioned earlier, some cyclists, from the moment they put on Lycra, they now think that they are Superman. Any amount of signs I erect will have no impact unless we as cyclists do the right thing.

BE COURTEOUS - SHARE THE ROAD!!!  & respect the laws of it.Thumbs%20UpExclamation

Guest Big H

Shaun.... "small chidren" (no, i belittle then now as they have more responsibility) comes to  mind. If these obnoxious cyclists who demand and shame responsible cyclists keep on doing what they are doing they will have to feel the concequinces. The only way to do this is through formal channels ie legislation. Most cyclists WILL not agree with this motion, simply because they too are GUILTY in shaming the majority of cyclists.... "small childre:!!!!!!!

So, while you're parking at a red light (license around your neck) with NO cars in sight at 5am, Piet comes zooming over the intersection on his new Trek. He doesn't have a ''license'', he feels boulders!

And all your fancy laws and roadsigns will not stop a bloody 16 wheeler from crushing a young woman training for Ironman, riding on the far left in single file giving all the right hand signals on a R-route.

In Africa,

Respect=fear.

No fear, no respect.

Guest Big H

If the system works you get to the next intersection and the guy on the Trek is pulled off. He is arrested, spends the night in jail with Titusti's tikkoppe and his Trek is impounded.

Funnily I expected that type of shallow irresponsible and cynical reply from you baiesukkel.... everything is a joke and sensible efforts to create order is demeaned.. .......Get rid of the testosterone generated in the Ironman first and then follow a course in creating accountability and accepting responsibilty.

Guest Big H

Were you Couchpotato in your "previous" life by any chance???????