Roadies:Stop moaning and start behaving!

AiKona

widget, we need to get that list framed and mounted in every bike store in the country.... such a pity that certain bad elements refuse to see the simple, basic, easy to follow logic involved

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For instance if there is no yellow line' date=' should cyclists be prohibited from using the road? If it is not possible for a vehicle to safely pass a cyclist does the cyclist have the right to occupy the whole road until such time as it is safe for vehicles to pass? When is "acceptable" for cyclists to ride 2 or more abreast? etc. etc.
[/quote']

I'll play...

If there is no yellow line, a rider is expected to ride as close (within a meter) to the tarred shoulder as is safe.  Even if there is a yellow lane you are technically not allowed to ride in the yellow lane, but are supposed to keep just to the right of the line.  Because riding in the yellow lane is probably a safer place to be though, this is one aspect of the law often overlooked by law enforcers and road users alike.

If a rider is keeping as far left as the law demands, and is practical and safe (obviously you may swerve to avoid obstacles), other road users may not demand of them to move over until it is safe for you to do so.  They may of course indicate and overtake as they would any other vehicle.

It is never legal (in the UK it is) for riders to ride two abreast.

Guest Big H

Now might be the time to punt my pet subject....... IDENTIFICATION OF A CYCLIST BY MEANS OF A "NUMBER PLATE", THAT INCLUDES PAYING A LICENSE FEE BY LAW.

Seems like as long as we avoid Shimano vs Campagnolo, we actually agree on a lot H.  I would in any case much rather pay a yearly licence fee, and carry a number (like the frame numbers the pro's use) than to pay for a Cyclosport lisence!

I find riding with my racing frame number actually helps? Kinda weird but the (for lack of a better word) motorists seem to think that this somehow makes you more "official"?

Guest Big H

The licencing can be structured and commuters pays less and the Pro fees can then include their Pro license by paying more. CSA can then become a Government Department and even do less!!!!!!

I just luv a good fight. The more I fight the better I get!!!!! Campagnolo is actually not THAT bad!!!!! There I said it!!!!! Happy... satisfied!!! Now say something kind as well!!!!!

H,

I suppose Shimano is probably not that bad either!  I still want your spoon though!

I think they both suck and we should all revert back to Suntour downtube shifters or single speeds!

I'm not laughing Ti...Wink

My "other" bike is a 1980's Peugeot Rapport with, wait for it...

...a mix of Suntour, Shimano 600 and Shimano 105, with downtube shifters, an original suede finish Anatomic saddle, and toeclips.  Haven't ridden it in years, but it will break my heart to throw it away!

I guess my age is starting to show, so from now on I too demand to be called "Oom"!
R2S22007-03-20 09:09:06

Thanks Lefty.  I suppose however that, the moment sanity shone through, those who really needed to read it got all dyslexic and left!

Guest Big H

"THE SPOON" is a CURSE not a blessing. Admin can give it away to anyone he decrees..... (voice going up a few octaves and ever increasing in volume) as long as that person opts to fight the good Shimano/kempekkernoglia fight with tooth and nails. he must be of firm stature and able to shrug of the onslaught by the unwashed infidels!!!! (end of spittle spewing ranting !!!)

perhaps Admin can post it in a Sticky and make it URGENT READING.

admin, .................admin.....?

Because riding in the yellow lane is probably a safer place to be though' date=' this is one aspect of the law often overlooked by law enforcers and road users alike.

If a rider is keeping as far left as the law demands, and is practical and safe (obviously you may swerve to avoid obstacles), other road users may not demand of them to move over until it is safe for you to do so.  They may of course indicate and overtake as they would any other vehicle.

[/quote']

So after beign prepared to refer me to the various publications supporting what we MAY NOT do as cyclists you are not accepting that COMPROMISE is actually the right thing to do. i.e. that riding in the yellow line is the correct thing to do.

To take this further -

I feel that on certain roads it may be the safer option to occupy the whole lane - or at least enough of it so as to prevent other vehicles from endangering your safety by passing where it is unsafe to do so and potentially forcing you into the gutter. I also feel that in some circumstances it is SAFER for cyclists to ride in a tight group as opposed to being strung out in an long extended line.

Note that in the second instance I am also taking the opinion that it is actually less obstructive to other motorists to do so.

I am dead against people quoting regulations for no other reason than to justify their particular (sh*t-stirring) stance such as BigH so often does.

Windbreaker2007-03-20 10:13:44