Riding vests

RodTi

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So by that logic then' date=' before you start a hot ride you should put it in the freezer and then it will keep you cool, whereas if you don't, it won't? Not sure I'm buying this young man?

[/quote']

No no, you have to put you in the fridge to cool down?!

If only I'd known! I woulda gladly dragged a trailor with a generator and an aircon on the 3rd day of the Giro!

My 0.05...  I use an undershirt, but I laughed my azz off at the prices in the BUYcycling article.  Where I can see a benefit in something, I am happy to spend like a drunken sailor with a terminal disease, but seveal hundred bucks on what is basically a vest???  Cheer me up!

Hie yourself off to Mr Price, and buy their equivalent sleeveless synthetic garment in the sports section for the grand sum of R40.  No grandiose claims about dubious science, just the same gloriously man-made fibres, only with a 0 lopped off the end of the price.

I wear 'em winter and summer 'cause it's more comfortable than not wearing them.  There may be an element of habit in all of this.  It won't make you faster, won't make you appreciably hotter (in any sense) but you might like it.

I just got me another Anatomic one from Linden and it cost me a whole R62. It's wierd because my other 2 cost me R100 each 4 years ago.

Thanks Token.

Might be something to this afterall.

One thing though - did you use it in Belgium only' date=' or has it helped you in warmer climates too - like in SA, where it can get friggin hot?
[/quote']

I have use in SA most of the time,  didnt really in jan but started to in feb again  does mak a difference

I think the main idea with a proper vest - NOT the one from mr price/woolworths that does not work properly! - is to lower the extremes ie helps to cool when hot and warmer when cold. Lowering the extremes helps prevent getting sick. That material is amazing! drop some fluid and it and it compeletly disperses it over a large surface area, similar to calrton paper that you use to 'suck' up spillages on a carpet. other advantages are if you stop riding or after a race you don't pick up a chill also if you crash the extra layer of material stops that bad road rash on your body.

What doesn't work is wearing a t-shirt under you cycling top - summer or winter...