Riding vests

RodTi

Ok - so the vest, or rather - certain vests, is designed to channel the moisture to key ares, where, assuming you have air flowing over it, maximum evaporation can occur.

Guess that makes sense.

Sounds pretty cool too.

Assuming that the area of moisture concentration is right at the top of my chest, where my riding shirt's zip can open and allow air in!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The are really neat to use when riding the indoor trainer, you dont have to constantly wipe with a towel, as long as you use a fan

I guess my problem is that I don't ride fast enough for wind flow to occur. Have to eat more beans.

Cycling tops are also generally skin tight so does that not counteract the need for wearing a vest underneath ?

I was told by a clothing manufacturer (who makes for Nike etc)that teeh fabric is just washed in a special solution to create this cool, wick away system. after a few washes its gone.

So is it worth it. I know diadora sell their under garments with a spray. Doesn't that tell you something

Unless your top is as tight as your lycra shorts, its not skin tight.... There are some Euro companies that are starting to make "skin tight" cycling tops for this very same reason, more aero being another

What does this spray do? Whenever people haul out these things that are suposed to be great my bs'ometer goes off, these have set it off in a big way.

Well i was also like that 1 day, how can that thing make me cooler, but when was in belgium my team there gave me a craft top.  The thing is amazing, keeps you cool when you start to get hot and warm when you cold. The only thing i found if you put it on when it is already hot, then it dont cool you down. it just remains hot

the spray i think is the stuff thewash into the fabric for that effect. as richard beswick.

If you start the ride and you are hot before you put the top on it dont make you cooler. 

So by that logic then, before you start a hot ride you should put it in the freezer and then it will keep you cool, whereas if you don't, it won't? Not sure I'm buying this young man?

Thanks Token.

Might be something to this afterall.

One thing though - did you use it in Belgium only, or has it helped you in warmer climates too - like in SA, where it can get friggin hot?

I ride with a vest most of the time and it is fine in cold and mild weather.  When it gets hot I sweat a lot and the whole shirt gets drenched if you don't move quick enough (e.g. on a long mtb climb), so I don't use it then. 

Even Euro pro's don't wear it when it is boiling; just look at TdF mountain stage photos and all you will see is bib shorts (except for mad T-Mobile riders cutting holes in their's!)