How to upgrade your bike with continuous

Headshot

Several months since i did mine and still shifting beautifuly - best upgrade you can do on any mtb bike.....

Thank you for that! :clap:

Would not trust myself drilling into a bike anyway...

CHASPS - As I recall Johan said NOTHING about DRILLING into your frame other than DO NOT.

Moorewood and Elsworth are HAND made frames. They are bulletproof, kinda like a HUMMER. You will break a file on a HUMMER, hence the angle grinder.

A RALEIGH, like a Hyundai Matiz can be filled with a ladies nail file.

That is the difference.

@Johan

Brilliant post. 'Moennie warry' the naysayers - let them shift not.

Yes, you may say it ----"I don't give a shift" - Better?

May I make some comments?

Thanks!

TOOLS YOU NEED:

DUCT TAPE - OUCH. Horrid, sticky, wide, sticky, expensive stuff! Requires your WHOLE sunday to remove (Pulls the RED/YELLOW paint combo straight off Raleighs)

ELECTRICAL TAPE - narrow, not over sticky, resists misplaced file strokes without even denting, off in a spirited flash.

If you are going to use your girlfriend - make sure your wife is out.

6 pack of WINDHOEK DRAUGHT

I have also found the following to be very effective:

1. Use XTR coated cable.

2. Before installing outer cable place the nozzle of your silicone spray in one end and give a good blast. It will eventually drip out the other end. Take it OUTSIDE, and spin it around to remove excess. (Watch out for the dog or your kids eyes - cable contact stings)

Assemble, and ride for the next 4 years without sticking issues.

Well writ post. :clap:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19014

R57 - not bad if your afraid of pimping your frame

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/19014.jpg

I've tried these. You have to fiddle a bit to get the right position if your frame tube is not perfectly round.

Also, they are actually made for hydraulic hose, which is 1mm thicker and fits snug into those guides. Gear cable rattles around a bit, which is somewhat disappointing, but they do have cable ties nowadays. Nice improvement.

But expensive!

You can also use the GORE® RIDE ON® Cable sets as these dont require any frame mods. A bit pricey but worth it over time.

• 3 months later...

Just opened up the old lugs on the Gary Fisher with the Dremel's flexible drive using a reamer of the right size. Worked like a charm.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no increased friction worth bothering about. You won't notice any degraded performance at all.

WHAT! I had a dramatic improvement in shifting. I couldn't believe how smooth the cable went through the housing. :thumbup: :clap:

• 4 weeks later...