How to upgrade your brakes

Slowbee

Hmm Slowbee ' date=' u intrested in being my mech for the Epic next year?Big%20smile[/quote']

you cook, i'll fix your bike ...

U on Big%20smileBig%20smile

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this from a guy, who needed 15 pages of guidance on buying his road bike.

had a good giggle..... and yes all of us have done this.  So two thumbs

up mate for having the guts to publish the story.  Brownie points for

using a guinea pig and not yourself to check if the brakes workedLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Hmm Slowbee ' date=' u intrested in being my mech for the Epic next year?Big%20smile[/quote']

you cook, i'll fix your bike ...

U on Big%20smileBig%20smile

yippeeee an entry into the epic, and I get food cooked, in return for fixing a bike. I wonder how much tiger cycles charges as a sub-contractor

And this from a guy' date=' who needed 15 pages of guidance on buying his road bike.

had a good giggle..... and yes all of us have done this.  So two thumbs

up mate for having the guts to publish the story.  Brownie points for

using a guinea pig and not yourself to check if the brakes workedLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

[/quote']

I thought it was 28?

• 6 years later...

DIY... How hard is it to upgrade my Brakes???

Hi,

So i'm finally looking into upgrading my brakes from the standard Deore (BL-M615) to SLX (M675) and wanted to know should this be done at the LBS or can i do it myself? I've seen complete kits for sale online and was wondering if these are DIY.

I've heard that some brakes need bleeding after installing and i'm not a very gifted bicycle technician. Also do i need to change the rotors? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

DIY... How hard is it to upgrade my Brakes???

Hi,

So i'm finally looking into upgrading my brakes from the standard Deore (BL-M615) to SLX (M675) and wanted to know should this be done at the LBS or can i do it myself? I've seen complete kits for sale online and was wondering if these are DIY.

I've heard that some brakes need bleeding after installing and i'm not a very gifted bicycle technician. Also do i need to change the rotors? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

if you buy out of the box the brakes should come pre-bled, but you will probably have to cut the hoses to fit your bike and might need a bleed.

I would defnitely leave this to a shop if you unsure what you must do.

I bought mine at a shop and they put them on for free. So even though it was a bit more expensive then to buy online it worked roughly the same as i have no knowledge on bleeding them myself.

I bought mine at a shop and they put them on for free. So even though it was a bit more expensive then to buy online it worked roughly the same as i have no knowledge on bleeding them myself.

great point lerouc...the lbs would be in the right to charge you for labour and then some if you pitch with a crc package. Rather buy at lbs.

I have no issue buying from the LBS but when the mark-up on the items are almost 30% then i wonder how it is justified. I've watched a few Youtube clips and the installation looked reasonably easy.

I have no issue buying from the LBS but when the mark-up on the items are almost 30% then i wonder how it is justified. I've watched a few Youtube clips and the installation looked reasonably easy.

sure sure there is a mark up but then they will probably thow in the fitting and cutting for free. which equates to the 30% if you go and buy from online vendor. Again its a simple job if you know what you doing...but you have the potential to stuff up the brakeset if you dont..

Your call

Do it yourself, so you learn... Just ask Slowbee...  :thumbup:  ;)

Do it yourself, so you learn... Just ask Slowbee...  :thumbup:  ;)

I was in that camp before...its a pretty costly mistake if he gets it wrong though

If you not sure, take to a lbs and be prepared to pay 

I was in that camp before...its a pretty costly mistake if he gets it wrong though

If you not sure, take to a lbs and be prepared to pay 

If know how to hold a spanner then it's not that hard... Then again, I am technically minded which helps... that and google...  :w00t: