Cycling South Africa-Your Comments?

gypsy

Fellow Hubbers

If you were selected by Cycling South Africa to be part of the South African Team-What do you think CSA should provide for the selected cyclist?

Eg; Salary, equipment, coaching etc. (Give figures.)

What rewards should be provided to the cyclist that achieves results at these international events?

The reason I put this to Hubbers is that we seem to fall far short of what other federations are doing for their National Teams.

CSA somehow expects cyclists to achieve medals and results at international level with no support from themselves. CSA always seems to have no funds available.

Your comments might give them a wakeup call.

Angry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

umm if they can just send the guys over..that will be gr8 for a start...

We qualified a team for tour de'l avenir(the biggest u23 tour in the world) and geuss what!? no team going!

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but isn't there a significant contingent of juniors in Europe at the moment?

Realistically.... there's a small number of SA cyclists that can compete internationally. Would I like to go to Europe to race? Of course! Will my slow ass finish last? Almost for sure.

Riders with a realistic chance of getting something must be funded as best as possible, but developing riders should be willing to fork out a significant portion of expenses themselves.

CSA have medal potential right here and now who are elite cyclists and are selected for the National Teams. They are expected to produce results at World Cups, Commonwealth games, Olympics etc with very little financial or any other input from CSA. In order to win a medal an elite cyclist needs to be fully employed by CSA in order to achieve that goal. Presently CSA has no structure to facilitate this due to the enormous cost involved in creating a medal hope. The cost to maintain an elite cyclist is far different to that of a junior. CSA only condones international competition by a cyclist if they fund the trips themselves.

Even if the current crop of under 23 riders was finishing dead last (which they're not), there is still a compelling case for sending them....

At some point there has to be a 'living reference', guys currently riding who can say to emerging young SA talent, "this is what it is really like to ride at the top level". The bridge it builds is the only way to really even begin to prepare future talent for what's coming, and why being top dog in SA is great and all, but there is another level to test yourself against.

Only once some kinda mentoring is set up will the gap close. Amazingly, here in SA it's teams with commercial sponsors who've taken this job on, because CSA so far hasn't........... Wacko

One gets given government money, the other has to run like a business and attract funding / partnerships; no prizes for guessing which produces results!

Gypsy I know your frustration. There is always money to send road teams overseas, but track is the poor second cousin in SA. Ask CSA for their monthly financial reports. There are suspossed to be reports for each discipline. These should tell you if there is money, where it is and how it is being spent.

I am suprised they say there is no cash, as a 6 week paid for track camp was on the cards for T-Town a couple of months ago for 6 riders. I know they did not go, so where is that money going?

An option would be to approach CSA and agree with them (in writing) that if a rider funds him/herself and achieves a medal at a world cup, world champs, commonwealth games or olympic games, then CSA agrees to refund that rider in full, all their expenses incurred in achieving that medal. No medal no refund, or if the rider makes a final a percentage refund. This allows both the rider and CSA to put their money where their mouth is so to speak.

I don't know if this maybe happens already:

I think there should be a CSA rule that says that any sponsor that sponsors a profesional team, be that elite or U/23, should pay a percentage of their yearly sponsor over to a CSA fund to be utilised for sending promising cyclists or SA teams abroad.

This is just the humble thought of a week end fun rider

hahaha that money will just go down the drain somewhere in "development" like the money they get from races,lotto and sascoc.

Hi all,

Our next newsletter is due in a few day's time - I trust that some of the above would be explained in that letter.

Let me know if you do not get our letters.

Thanks,

Carinus

http://cms.cyclingsa.com/templates/narrowhead/images/csalogo.gif

< ="text/" ="http://cms.cyclingsa.com/s/js/swf.js">
< ="application/x-shockwave-flash" ="http://cms.cyclingsa.com/templates/narrow/accordion.swf" id="movie2350" name="movie2350" ="#33669" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="100">

var so2350 = new SWFObject("templates/narrowhead/accordion.swf", "movie2350", "450", "100", "8", "#33669");so2350.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
so2350.write("id2350");

News http://cms.cyclingsa.com/images/M_images/arrow.png : Organisation : http://cms.cyclingsa.com/images/M_images/arrow.png Financials http://cms.cyclingsa.com/images/M_images/arrow.png DECEMBER MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTS AVAILABLE

DECEMBER MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTS AVAILABLE

Please find for download the December management accounts pre-audit - the auditors are currently busy with the year-end audit.

The income for the year in Cycling SA was a total of R 435000 better than budget. This is a direct result of

1)       Membership income increasing during the year

2)       Improving on revenue collection from the various events around the country.

We plan to build on this in the 2009 year

Expenses are substantially over budget. The main reasons for this are

1)       Funds from Lotto still to be received of R1250000 which is offset against expenses

2)       The arrangement with PPA re the salary of the COO coming to an end and now being a cost to Cycling SA

3)       Travel expenditure increased due to various road shows etc required for the new licencing system

Overall

the results reflected a deficit for the year of R 332464 as opposed to

a budgeted surplus of R779404. The main cause of this is the funds

still due from the Lotto of R1250000 which we have not provided as a

debtor in the management accounts

As at the end of December,

our cash resources were adequate, however a number of funds received on

licencing income and day licences from Cycle tour is in respect of the

2009 calender year and has been recorded as a prepaid income and is

reflected as a creditor in the Balance sheet. We anticipate that the

next amount receivable from the Lotto will be paid across during Feb 09

with the final amount during March 09

BMX reflects a surplus

for the year as opposed to a budgeted deficit of R 164496 This is

mainly due to the sponsorship received during the year. Portion of the

funds to be received from Lotto is to be allocated to BMX

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any queries in this matter

Regards

Mark Bradley

Financial Trustee

Cycling South Africa

Seems not right to me that with so many social riders in South Africa the budget for our top riders to compete is so low. Literally millions of rand go into events in South Africa with a lot of people making a good living off of us people who enter races. Money for online entries, money from sponsors of the grotty goody bags, money from entry fees and so on and so on. Money that goes everywhere except back into cycling it seems.

I think cycling needs to focus on cycling and the development of the sport. Is it just me that thinks it odd that we can get over 30000 entries for a single race yet cannot get the money together to create a strong and focused program such as the British did so well with their track program that garnered them so many medals in the last Olympics?

I am certainly not suggesting that the people that work so hard in cycling to develop the sport, such as Andrew MacLean, are not entitled to make a living and reap financial rewards, but I am suggesting that there seems to be something fundamentally wrong with the system as it currently stands. It is pointless to stand cap in hand hoping for handouts from the Lotto and the state.

Licensing fees, race entries and sponsors for events should all contribute to developing our sport to the next level. With the number of people enthusiastically out on the road everyday it is silly to think that we cannot produce worlclass cyclists. We have the numbers, we have the enthusiasism, we have the genetic diversity in our population, we have experts like Proff Noakes, we have involved experienced riders like Andrew. All we are short is a decent plan and a way to fund it.

Once again CSA is been bashed for the state of affairs within cycling yet we forget who makes up the structures of CSA- YOU THE MEMBERS. Stop been cowards and blaming CSA why not start serving on your provincial bodies and get yourselves elected onto the CSA board and then control what you percieve the current CSA electorte is not doing.

A couple of of months ago every Dick Tom and Harry was on the Lemmer brother'scase(Groot Lem and his beer, visiting behind the sheds etc,we had the influencial fathers/sons spat at SA's, suspension of Mrs Dale etc taking place within the corridors of CSA and none of you

seemed bothered with the outcome of these yet now that it affects your sons and daughters you are all up in arms.

2010 around the corner and then we repeat the issues of licenses and so forth once again   

Groot Lem and his beer' date=' visiting behind the sheds etc[/quote']

Now I'm not too fussed about the other stuff, but what was Groot Lem doing behind a shed? I mean, if he had a beer then needed to "go", what's the problem? Confused

Once again CSA is been bashed for the state of affairs within cycling yet we forget who makes up the structures of CSA- YOU THE MEMBERS. Stop been cowards and blaming CSA why not start serving on your provincial bodies and get yourselves elected onto the CSA board and then control what you percieve the current CSA electorte is not doing.

A couple of of months ago every Dick Tom and Harry was on the Lemmer brother'scase(Groot Lem and his beer' date=' visiting behind the sheds etc,we had the influencial fathers/sons spat at SA's, suspension of Mrs Dale etc taking place within the corridors of CSA and none of you
seemed bothered with the outcome of these yet now that it affects your sons and daughters you are all up in arms.
2010 around the corner and then we repeat the issues of licenses and so forth once again   [/quote']

Mallo, Mallo, thats a nonsensical comment, (and your posts are normally very sensible) - why must we all get involved.?

We all have jobs, business commitments, families, social engagements and other commitments which leave most folk very little time to be memebrs of non paying organisations.

BUT..............there ARE people who volunteered and / or are employed (in the nicest sense) to do this job, just like in any company, government, social business, there are those elected to do a job of work at the top and the bottom, our job was to pay our license fee, we did, now its their job to make best use of it for ALL concerned!

The electorate has a right to comment, this is a democracy, just because we dont want to be / cant be involved for our own reasons, is not a reason to be silent and just accept the status quo. 

porky2009-08-05 00:54:59

These are of course my personal opinions, but i am sure i speak on behalf of many others.

Every cyclist would like to win an international medal for his country, this can only be achieved through CSA putting there money where there mouth is. If we create medals at international competitions and build heros , the money will come from all quarters including government. Hence why no one has faith in CSA and the good SA Cyclists end up racing for a sponsor internationally because CSA has the proverbial cap in hand, always waiting for someone else to do something before they get involved.

CSA of course has no clue on how to coach or to look after an Elite team. The sums and effort required are enormous and CSA are not prepared to invest in this nor do they have the people with the necessary qualifications.

CSA management is weak and undecisive hence the mess. CSA is presently run as a club for selected members, when it should be managed as a business by very strong business people who are able to drive change by getting rid of the dead wood and replacing them with people who can move mountains in order to make change. Unfortunately CSA has my vote of no confidence.

Cry