Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Mine doesn't seem to want to stay still and hates being tightened! I'm going to try a new bolt/wedge this weekend and see what happens. Other than that, the Daccordi should finally be complete by Monday! :clap:

Take an empty deodorant or Coke can. Must be flimsy. Puncture the can and then cut a strip of tin 15mm by 40mm which you roll on to the bar to get a rounded shape. Then open stem fully and insert the bar sliding your new shim into the bar hiding the entire shim. Tighten and test. Don't over tighten as the stem could snap, it's only alu.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine doesn't seem to want to stay still and hates being tightened! I'm going to try a new bolt/wedge this weekend and see what happens. Other than that, the Daccordi should finally be complete by Monday! :clap:

Take an empty deodorant or Coke can. Must be flimsy. Puncture the can and then cut a strip of tin 15mm by 40mm which you roll on to the bar to get a rounded shape. Then open stem fully and insert the bar sliding your new shim into the bar hiding the entire shim. Tighten and test. Don't over tighten as the stem could snap, it's only alu.

Another option we used to use (my goodness, sound like my dad used to):

Get a strip of emmary (sp) cloth about 1.5cm wide, and stick it onto the bar, all around, cloth side down (inside) using contact. The sandpaper side is then outside and tighten bar into stem. Used to work a treat. 

Does my convoluted explanation make sense BadSam????

So my Vitus 979 build is complete, I think a good name for her is Black sheep... Also I will be cycling her on the retro cycle on Sunday. Can't wait! :)

Nice Rozanne, looking good. Enjoy the retro ride and post some photos of all the bikes.

So my Vitus 979 build is complete, I think a good name for her is Black sheep... Also I will be cycling her on the retro cycle on Sunday. Can't wait! :)

My son is going to ride my Blue Sheep, 979 also without decals as yet!

Look forward to meeting you!

CONUNDRUM

I came upon this a couple of days ago. Owner wants to sell. He's convinced this is a real ALAN and therefore worth a lot of money. 

I have searched the interwebs and found neither hound nor hair of a chromoly Alan, nothing other than screwed and glued ali or carbon.

Anyone know anything??????

Eventually a reply from ALAN re this conundrum!!!!!!

Maybe we've all learned something.

Hello,
I confirm that frame is an orginal Alan one . We had a small production of that cromolly model for just one year on 2002.

Regards
Alberto Falconi / Alan bikes

Great to meet so many like minded people and look forward to the next ride. Thank you for taking some pictures, unfortunately I left my phone at home this am.

Those bikes are all beautiful  man.

A couple of guys asked if you were joining us but I told them you in CT.

A couple of guys asked if you were joining us but I told them you in CT.

How many of you were there????

Interesting to know, as mentioned before, would be nice to get an annual get togeether, but need to see how many people.

Would've loved to join and see those bikes first hand, hopefully soon we will get our group together here in CT.

If we set a date, off the bat, we've already got at least 5-6 Hubbers who will join down in CPT. We should arrange a Sunday morning soon and see what the turnout is like. It will only grow from there, maybe even create a Whatsapp group?

Maybe a long shot, but how does 13th Sept (a Sunday) sound, weather dependant, of course? A cruise along the coast?

Thanks to everyone for the ride at the Cradle this morning, it was awesome 

Awesome pics Warren, looks like the turn out was great. well done!