Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

I am looking for a Tomassini fork (1987 model frame - I think) or something similar (Treaded or non treaded). Anybody with one lying around please let me know

If it's for the Prestige or Super Prestige assume it's the AIR fork you need.

If you're prepared to spend the dosh, you can get it in Europe for about £170!!!

Very few show up on ebay, so good luck

Edited by HeyYou

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for a Tomassini fork (1987 model frame - I think) or something similar (Treaded or non treaded). Anybody with one lying around please let me know

Try Bruce Reyneke . He was the sole importer

post-15052-1409333314,647.jpg

This here is a pic of my headache. The nail next to it shows the distance something can be inserted if welded.

Part of me wants to repair it, but then again Im not too sure if this is the way to go. Another hubber pm'ed me about another post he has that might fit. If that doesnt work out, we could talk again. Just dont want to do anyone here in with a broken seatpost.

But thanks once again for the advice!

post-15052-1409333314,647.jpg

This here is a pic of my headache. The nail next to it shows the distance something can be inserted if welded.

Part of me wants to repair it, but then again Im not too sure if this is the way to go. Another hubber pm'ed me about another post he has that might fit. If that doesnt work out, we could talk again. Just dont want to do anyone here in with a broken seatpost.

But thanks once again for the advice!

Try Hunter Cycles in Braamfontein, lots of really nice old seat posts at good prices

Guest notmyname

Hey retro builders. I got myself a torque wrench today and I'd like to torque my 3ttt quill. Any views on Nm?

Bump

Bump

From Sheldon Brown

• The wedging action of the expander plug of a quill stem multiplies the tension on the expander bolt. If the bolt is tightened to a torque which feels normal, the expander plug may bulge and permanently deform the fork steerer, possibly leading to failure of the steerer or to future insecure clamping of the stem. With an older stem which uses a truncated-cone (cork-shaped) expander plug, the stem cannot be safely tightened enough to make it impossible to turn the handlebar while clamping the front wheel between the legs. This looseness is unimportant for anything short of technical off-road riding. A stem with a wedge-shaped expander plug may be tightened further and secures the handlebar more tightly, but still can be overtightened.

Guys, any luck with the seat posts you might have for me? Otherwise I would have to go for EvanB's option. Managed to bend the right handlebar drop back a bit, and looks ok now. So it will probably be the last bit of cleaning to do. Will carefully inspect for any cracks etc tonight. Luckily I have a spare set of handlebars now in any case. I had a thought over the weekend as well. This here is the first pic of the bike. Now picture her with a white saddle, handlebar tape and also white gear and brake cable housings.

post-15052-0-31119100-1409557124_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RudoJ

Hi, sorry looked like you received other offers. I have a Kalloy 25.4 by 310 stem. It will need to be sanded and polished. PM me an offer.

Edited by Loose cog

Hi, sorry looked like you received other offers. I have a Kalloy 25.4 by 310 stem. It will need to be sanded and polished. PM me an offer.

I'm starting to like Mondays all of a sudden...

Hi Guys

I have two locally made track frames.

The first is a Mcintosh and the second is a Du Toit which is missing its fork.

Non of the frames have any stickers or indications on what tubing was used, but they are both quiet light.

The Du Toit has very interesting tubing. I myself have never seen anything like it. Will need to contact Mr Du Toit to find out more about it, unless one of you guys have any idea or history on the frame. Its just a pity it doesn't have the orginal fork....

thanks

post-44444-0-44610400-1409639933_thumb.jpg

post-44444-0-13715700-1409640064_thumb.jpg

post-44444-0-99412300-1409642162_thumb.jpg

Anybody have the contact no for Hunter Cycles in Braamfontein. I did go to their website and send an e-mail but no response sofar.

Anybody have the contact no for Hunter Cycles in Braamfontein. I did go to their website and send an e-mail but no response sofar.

i'll pm you there details.

post-1614-0-73616500-1409810553_thumb.jpg

Thanks - Got hold of Emile.

I Started stripping the paint from my Bianchi frame (it's a Super Rekord 920 frame) and to my surprise the whole frame seem to be chromed. Is this normal.

I am also looking for a Italian Thread Square tapered BB - if anybody know where I can get one will appreciate the feedback.

Edited by Broker

Hi Broker

The frame is not chromed (apart from the chain stay). Higher end bikes were often nickel plated and then painted. The nickel plating prevented rust and hardened the frame.

Hi Guys

I am looking for the following items to complete a rebuild:

• 1inch headset - Campagnolo Record, C Record or older silver Chorus
  • Hub - Campagnolo rear hub 32h

PM with pictures please.

post-44986-0-54352600-1409836533_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-39157900-1409836592_thumb.jpg