Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Much excitement... I own my very first Steel Frame bike.

A Bridgestone RB-2. I like the look of the geometry and the condition is impressive, she has been stuck in a roof for 10 years!!! A bit of Googling and I'm guessing this bike is a 93 model.

Specs...

Shimano Exage Group

Wolber WTX Rims with 105 hubs.

The plan... This is where I need some advice/guidance.

- Replace the brake lever hoods... Where can I get these?

- Rebuild the wheelset with new spokes... Who is my best Cape Town option? And what is the expense likely to be?

- Clean and polish the components

- I would like to put on gum walled tires

- Touch up minor chips on the paintwork and clear coat the bike. The paint work is in quite good condition

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nice! Earlier than '93 though, surely? The downtube shifters and the toe-clips largely went out in the 80s, I think. Also the external cabling. (PS: Those toe clips, straps and pedals - if you don't want 'em, I do!)

Hi Retro Guys

look what I found, in absolutely near mint condition.

I just had to replace the tires, but look at the condition of this bike. I grabbed it with both hands!!

How lucky am I?

post-62730-0-57469400-1410555659_thumb.jpgpost-62730-0-97483300-1410555671_thumb.jpgpost-62730-0-65598700-1410555681_thumb.jpg

One lucky fella!

I recall drooling over the Radac in the mid 80's before I bought a more affordable Trek when they first came into SA. I had the Radac A3 fold up brochure for years and through it away during one of my clean ups! Good luck, hope it rides as nice as it looks.

Hi guys. I got myself a wheelset with a 7 speed shimano cassette on. Does anyone in the Cape perhaps have a cheap rear derailler I can buy? (actually need a front too, but don't have a crankset yet either)

Edit: like a chop I didn't say it's for a road bicycle.

Edit 2: Would this work for me or should I stay away from ebay's components?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Tourney-TX35-6-7-Speed-Rear-Derailleur-Direct-Attach-/191091626980?pt=US_Derailleurs_Rear&hash=item2c7df2d3e4

Edited by wynandk

Nice! Earlier than '93 though, surely? The downtube shifters and the toe-clips largely went out in the 80s, I think. Also the external cabling. (PS: Those toe clips, straps and pedals - if you don't want 'em, I do!)

If anyone would be interested to restore this beauty to it's former glory it is available! The owner is looking at offers of 7000 ZA rondts and up ..... let me know and I will put you in contact.

post-271-0-06860100-1410756362_thumb.jpg

Hi guys. I got myself a wheelset with a 7 speed shimano cassette on. Does anyone in the Cape perhaps have a cheap rear derailler I can buy? (actually need a front too, but don't have a crankset yet either)Edit: like a chop I didn't say it's for a road bicycle.Edit 2: Would this work for me or should I stay away from ebay's components?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Tourney-TX35-6-7-Speed-Rear-Derailleur-Direct-Attach-/191091626980?pt=US_Derailleurs_Rear&hash=item2c7df2d3e4

Woodstock Cycleworks has plenty old derailleurs

Woodstock Cycleworks has plenty old derailleurs

Second that. B.t.w. they have moved recently and are now in much bigger premises in Searle Street, also in Woodstock.

Guys

Took the Alan for a ride over the weekend.....was ok, but not sure if a road bike is for me.

I found immense pleasure in restoring and so on though. Maybe I will make it my hobby.

So seriously considering selling her.

Where would the best place be, besides here on the Hub?

Hi guys, recently acquired a Peter Allan road bike. Components don't appear to be anything special and the frame does need a good scrubbing, so the questions are as follows:
Would it be worthwhile getting some better period components, like 600 or 105, currently has Sunrace which I'm not sure is original to the bike?
And should I give the frame a complete respray and get new decals cut?
Those are the 2 for so long, until I can figure out what to do with her (with the help of you folk)

Cheers!

post-64130-0-27555800-1411156031_thumb.jpg

Edited by Badsam